Unlimited access >

How do grooms get horses to put head down for hosing?

[QUOTE=Mardi;8662348]
My opinion/comment about not using grooms is based on personal experience, and what I’ve witnessed through the years at that barn and at others, as well as at horse shows. I used a fabulous groom years ago, and until she returns from working for a BNT on the east coast, I do it myself and have peace of mind.

BTW, what part of my original post was offensive ? I apologize for offending you; it was not my intent.[/QUOTE]

I found the phrase “For the grooms it’s just like washing a car” quite jarring, given the amount of care and sensitivity with which the grooms I know treat horses. Maybe I’m just lucky!

Ok, as an FEI groom currently for an Olympian in Europe, formally for other FEI riders, I’ll chime in with my personal observations:

-some horses like it, i spray them in the face.
-some horses don’t like to be sprayed in the face but like a gentle mist, So that’s what I do.
-some horses hate it and they get their heads sponged off
-many grooms use similar methods of observation
-some grooms spray everything in the face regardless. I find this to be more prevalent amongst older male grooms.
-some grooms pretend the horses heads aren’t sweaty at all and leave marks and sweat and eventually have hair falling out, i find this most common among young female grooms