Unlimited access >

How do SmartPaks work?

I mess with my supplements so much that it just makes sense to make them myself.

And, for the old man, I got tired of poking a hole in the Smartpak to slip his Equioxx in there.

They are super convenient if you’re only feeding one or two things. Someone had a strip that, I’m not joking, was probably 2’ long. It was really hard to tear it open without spilling some, horsie was getting impatient as you would have to tear it from both ends to avoid dumping it all over the floor.

1 Like

I always find comments that they are hard to open without spilling to be interesting. This must be a situation where I have a skill that someone else does not (and that is rare, but happy me). I am not saying I have never spilled, because I am very not coordinated, but opening a Smartpak to me is a pretty simple task.

I tip the cells and peel over the bucket/scoop/container that the feed is in. Each cell dumps as I peel since I am holding it almost upside down. Moving the strip to keep the cell I am peeling over the container. If possible I do this not in with the horse (in the scoop before dumping into the stall, for example).

I am always fighting with the darn ziploc baggies. I know it is silly (so I totally get that some people fight with Smartpak cells). But for some reason I lose frequently when it comes to opening those and not either ruining the bag or spilling the contents.

3 Likes

We feed out of a big wheelbarrow, and it’s tossed through a 10"x10" square hole cut in the stall front. I guess an attempt could be made at peeling it into the scooper, but if you miss then youll be dosing everyone in the barn with that supplement. :joy: The scoopers are also the type below, so you can’t stand them up.

I bow to your Smartpak greatness. :slight_smile:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/little-giant-5-pint-plastic-ulitlity-scoop

I’m having the same issue with Mr Cripplecreek and contemplating going back to the smartpaks at home as well. Maybe it is all Mr’s that have this problem. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey, I have a skill. It might be my only skill so I shall celebrate it.

With that scoop I would likely put the supplements in it first and then scoop the grain on top using a different scoop.

I can totally see why you are putting the supplements into the feed bin with this set-up though. Makes total sense.

1 Like

Smartpaks are great especially if you go to shows. Sadly the supplements I have started to use over the years are not available as smartpaks.
Platinum also makes their own equivalent

1 Like

zip bags are terrible for this! I always always recommend containers with a screw on lid. Pop-off lids are fine, but they tend to break more easily, and are harder to manage if you’ve got on big gloves. Screw lid containers just last a lot longer and are easier to manage. The only downside is they do take up more room

1 Like

I do this. I have problems w my hands and I just can’t open Smartpak’s.

1 Like

I’m cheap, and I board also. I also change my supplements from time to time. To save the hassle updating the barn manager all the time, I bought these on amazon:

I got 14 of them, so he has enough for 7 days. Each Sunday I refill them with more for the next week. Easy peezy. Takes maybe 5 minutes each week. And saves because I can order the larger buckets of supplements, which are “usually” cheaper than the SmartPak version. If I change my supplement combo, I’m the only one who ever knows. The barn hands just dump whatever I have placed in each container at each feeding for my horse. I have a plastic bag hanging in the feed room and they put the empty containers in there once they dump. Super easy for everyone involved.

3 Likes

Usually the SmartPak supplements are cheaper in SmartPaks rather than buckets, and other supplements are more expensive in SmartPaks.

2 Likes

I have found them to be more or less equal cost on the smaller bags/buckets, but not on the biggest buckets/bag sizes

1 Like