Unlimited access >

How do we get this puppy from Canada when we are in the states?

Maybe someone can meet her at the border though?

She posted it in the Ontario Equine Marketplace & Equine Real Estate group. She’s doing a trip to the south east in early March, and said that she couple potentially pick up or drop off horses (and probably a puppy) in NY, PA, New England area, NJ, Virginia, NC.

1 Like

Last March I tried getting a larger dog shipped to me via airline from FL. My reservation got cancelled 3 times as covid was starting to shut things down. A barn friend suggested a horse shipper, so I called a national company and they already had a semi in Ocala. They picked up my dog within an hour and I had her the next morning. The drivers were breed fans and they let my dog ride in their sleeper cab with them. I got her the next morning. They wouldn’t take any money, saying she was the easiest, nicest dog they’d ever met. So I tipped them generously and would definitely do this over an airline any day!

4 Likes

Got it - thanks for the tip! Unfortunately the puppy won’t be weaned until end of March, so it sounds like her trip will be too early.

1 Like

What kind of dog?

Thank you all so much for this information!! I have been trying to get a puppy from a breeder in Canada, but had no idea how to get it across the border. With information, maybe we can get this done! I will be calling them tomorrow!!

3 Likes

You may choose to think CKC and/or AKC is a ‘joke’ because registration and other ‘paperwork’ isn’t getting out in a ‘timely’ manner.

I don’t deal with CKC but I do have AKC registered dogs that I compete, or try to, in performance events. ACK is dealing with working from home as well as scaling back their work staff since many shows and competitions have been cancelled causing a loss of revenue. In my sport, it may take a while to get the results from a trial posted.

Both organizations are breed registries and I would be surprised if they can offer, even pre-COVID, much assistance with shipping a dog out of the country.

1 Like

Thought I would post an update: after spending a good chunk of a Friday morning calling CBP on both the US and Canadian sides, I was told while they “don’t encourage it”, I would be allowed to show up at the border and pick up the dog from the breeder in Canada.

Apparently it can be one of those “depends on who you get and what kind of day they are having” sort of scenarios, so they agent I spoke to gave me his name and badge number and advised I called the border crossing I’m going to be meeting the breeder at the day I pick up the dog and let them know I’ve already talked to someone and will be at the border crossing at X time on Y day.

The pick-up is set for this coming Monday at 11:30AM. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

13 Likes

This is great news! Let us know how it goes. And, photos too, please!

Congrats on that!

I finally caught up with my breeder, but she only ships puppies with a licensed dog transporter she knows and trusts. He charges $400 to haul the puppy. She has raised the cost of puppies too, so I am getting priced out of being able to afford this pup.

I wonder if I can talk her into meeting at the Border to do a hand over? Puppies are due in April, maybe things will ease a bit by then.

Thank you for the update and a new direction to check out!!

And it worked! I was in a total panic this morning after calling CBP on both the US and Canadian sides to confirm and getting told the complete opposite I got told the first time - that now Canada wouldn’t let us exchange on their side but the US would. I contacted the breeder and let him know and we decided to just run with it and see what happened. I was so nervous that I completely missed the left to stay in the US and ended up at the border checkpoint for Canada, so they had to process me and turn me around as an accidental entry. facepalm

But here he is! Meet Dante :grin:

24 Likes

Oh, such a looker. So tell us all about him. Long coated? Color? Type, WL or SL? What are your plans for him?
Congratulations. so happy for you.

What an adventure! And he looks like a very sweet boy. Congratulations!

I think we need more photos so we can be sure of his cuteness. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He is out of a rough coat bitch, the sire is a long coat so I’m guessing that’s what he’ll be. Both were the traditional black and tan but the sire is a deeper, rusty tan. Both parents are working lines, the breeder is out of Quebec and does a lot with police dog training and training of dogs for the film industry.

This guy will be starting training as a PTSD service dog one he settles in.

11 Likes

I don’t think he’s having much trouble settling in! What a cutie!

1 Like

Congratulations! So glad it all worked out less the “accidental entry” :laughing: