Unlimited access >

How much should I pay a groom?

Oh um, yeah, good on you because this was definitely a RUN! situation.

1 Like

$2,400 a week is 125K a year. At 60 hours a week, $2,400 a week is $40 an hour – for a groom. I think at that rate, I think more than 50% of this BB would rush to become a groom. :slight_smile: I think a lot of trainers would leave their jobs to become a groom too. :smiley:

On a more serious note, OP is making $450 a week now, which I think we all would agree is too low, but a 433% raise isn’t realistic either.

OP – as you embark on your job search, do try to familiarize yourself with the “going rate” for grooms in your area. You aren’t operating in a vacuum, which is to say, you have competition. If you ask too much more than the market rate, you’ll be passed over for the next applicant that is willing to do the job for the going rate.

OP – Here is a factoid to keep in mind, Target’s starting minimum wage in 2018 is $12 an hour and they aim to increase that to $15 an hour by 2020. Keep that fact in your head. You can make $12 an hour now if you are willing to switch professions. And you may be able to make $15 an hour in two years if you are willing to switch professions. I’m not suggesting you give up horses and move into retail, but I am suggesting that you may wish to educate yourself as to your worth in other professions.

The horse industry has a lot of supply on the labor side and that makes it hard for employees to push wages up. It has been that way for ages and probably will remain so. Grooming is a labor of love for many and it is job that appeals to immigrants as they may bring a skill set along with them. Both factors work to keep a lid on wages.

You may want to consider trying to target a privately owned facility. They usually pay more and offer better hours. On the subject of hours, if you aren’t being paid an hourly wage, please do consider getting something in writing at your next job that outlines the hours you will be expected to work. In the beginning it is hard to leave anything

$2,400 a week is 125K a year.

At 60 hours a week, $2,400 a week is $40 an hour – for a groom.

I think at that rate, I think a lot of trainers, BO’s, and BM’s would leave their jobs to become a groom. :lol:

On a more serious note, OP is making $450 a week now, which I think we all would agree is too low, but a 433% raise isn’t realistic either.

OP – as you embark on your job search, please do try to familiarize yourself with the “going rate” for grooms in your area. You aren’t operating in a vacuum, which is to say, you will have competition. If you ask too much more than the market rate, you’ll be passed over for the next applicant that is willing to do the job for the going rate. Geography will have an influence on the market rate. High cost areas that are closer to a metropolis will pay more than jobs located in a rural area.

OP – Here is a factoid to keep in mind, Target’s starting minimum wage in 2018 is $12 an hour and they aim to increase that to $15 an hour by 2020. Keep that fact in your head. You can make $12 an hour now if you are willing to switch professions. And you may be able to make $15 an hour in two years if you are willing to work in retail. I’m not suggesting you give up horses and move into retail, but I am suggesting that you may wish to educate yourself as to your worth in other professions. Armed with a bit of knowledge, you will feel more confident when it comes time to negotiate wages.

The horse industry has a lot of supply on the labor side and that makes it hard for employees to push wages up. It has been that way for ages and probably will remain so. Grooming is a labor of love for many and it is job that can appeal to immigrants that possess some horsemanship skills. Both factors work to keep a lid on wages.

OP – you may want to consider trying to target a private facility. They usually pay more and offer better hours. On the subject of hours, if you aren’t being paid an hourly wage, please do consider getting something in writing at your next job that outlines the hours you will be expected to work. If you find you are being asked to work more hours than agreed upon, a written contract will help your negotiating leverage should you need to broach that subject.

Best of luck!

I know you don’t see it this way right now, but this is the best possible outcome. Please keep the above, OneTwoMany, in mind as you move on.

1 Like

I see the OP is out of the situation, but am compelled to suggest they remember the concept of MINIMUM WAGE. Her pay of $450 for 60 hours is $7.50 an hour.