Unlimited access >

How should I treat her?

What on earth are you talking about, Simkie? I think you have me confused with another poster.

So, Race Horse has changed his user name to Allanira? Or are there 2 newbies here who have recently bought 20-year-old OTTBs that might be QH crosses and have leg problems?

:confused:

They’re doin lessons. No they don’t tack her up. At 25 and 40 lbs they hop on the fence and onto her.

Who are they doing these lessons with? I’ve never known a trainer who would do lessons without tacking up first, nor have I ever known one who would allow their students to mount from a fence. Doesn’t sound much like “lessons” to me! Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The main thing is that the children be kept safe.

What on earth are you talking about, Simkie? Did you confuse me with another poster? I said nothing derisive about the mare’s weight. I did ask some questions, but none of them were “unfair.”

Horse is at a good weight. Unless you like horses big and fat. OP you horse looks great at current weight.

Uh, hello?

Did you even both to look at the pictures posted? They show a horse that is in FINE weight, edging toward too fat.

And this?

Just wow. Seriously. How appalling.

This is an older horse who seems to have found a soft spot to land with people who love her a whole lot and who aren’t asking anything unreasonable of her considering whatever limitations she has. It sounds like she’s gained the weight she needs and by all accounts her new owner is committed to taking care of her and learning how to do that properly.

5 Likes

OP you’ve got her looking good, she really doesn’t need more weight, I promise! The blanket will help in the winter, and if you’re worried about her dropping weight in the cold just make sure she has plenty of grass hay to munch on. Digesting the hay will create warmth.

Thank you for giving this girl a loving home. I think a bunch of us would love to see the lip tattoo to help figure out who she is and help you get some history on her. It can be fun to do research on your horse. I’d guess that she’s a racing quarter horse / appendix.

No matter her actual age an weight or breed - she looks good and sounds like she’s going to have a nice life with your family. Someone pointed out that what might look like a lack of weight might just be a lack of muscle. She won’t put on much muscle without being at a certain level of regular work, but that’s ok.

So yesterday we did her casliks (sp?) and got her teeth taken care of. Looks like in the not too distant future Dallas will start loosing her teeth. Vet said she’s puttin the muscle on great, and don’t worry about her actual weight. She was very careful with the sedatives because of her heart murmur and didn’t want any complications. I’ve been looking at the different senior feeds available in my area. Unfortunately we don’t have triple crown. So I’m going to switch her to Purina Equine Senior. She still needs to fill out a little on her back, and her hips. Yes my boys where their helmets when they’re actually doin lessons. Dallas has been moved to our place and not at our friend’s place. We built her a large pen with shelter and they sneak out of the house and climb her fence as soon as my back is turned. They’re just as bad as I was at their age when presented with any kind of animal. Yes they also ride in tack when at lessons. Again they’re sneakin out and goin to her, because she’s right here at the house now. Also the vet said it looks like (without any xrays or ultrasound done by her) Dallas could have a healed fracture on her bad leg. We make a pair her and I. We’re going to make the best of this situation and love her. We’re going to make her senior years as good as possible, and try to keep her quality of life as good as possible. On weather we can get down to teens, but usually in the 20s at night during winter. We’ve ordered a blanket for her that she’ll wear at night and if we’re getting a nasty storm during the winter. We’re also going to be enclosing the back of her shelter soon so that she won’t have the cold west wind to deal with. We have until mid October beginning of November before we’ll start seeing low temps start. She was mad at me yesterday after the vet was done with her, but cheered up as soon as she was allowed to have her alfalfa again. This morning she should feel a ton better without all that air going into her, and being able to chew her food better. I do have another question. How should I care for her suture area? Should I just make sure it stays clean for a week or 2 then forget it? I forgot to ask yesterday after everything was done. I was too relieved thay nothing went wrong. Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all the info. Time to put a lock on the gayes to keep goober boys in the yard and out of her pen.

I agree with the others that she is in good weight; don’t try to put any more on her. She may develop more muscle which will change her overall appearance somewhat, but don’t confuse that with weight gain (= more calories needed). She has a bit of a pot belly look which may be due to age, broodmare status?, or worms. I’m assuming she was a broodmare because of the need for a caslick?

I would probably call back to the vet about suture care. I would keep an eye on the area but not sure I would do anything without their advice; might be better to leave it alone than try to clean it. But…I don’t know. Call and ask.

Sounds like this mare hit the jackpot. Keep your boys safe and enjoy her.

1 Like