Unlimited access >

How to avoid the pulls/grabby hands

Ride my mare. She’s really good at making you regret your life decisions if you pull. :rofl:

I still mess up and grab sometimes. Then I spend the rest of the ride trying to appease her while making promises that I’ll never do it again.

16 Likes

I do this too! Nothing wrong with playing “beginner” on occasion.

1 Like

I’ve been looking at the correct connect breastplate, as honestly I just need it for my right hand my left hand behaves well :slight_smile: Do you know anyone who’s used those?

3 Likes

Thank you for asking this. I came home tonight in desperate need of this thread.

1 Like

Those look very nice, but an old stirrup leather works too :smile:.

2 Likes

I say in time with his stride “Get off his month”. Works like a charm

1 Like

the problem is that keeps your hands too close to the neck and I want to keep my right hand in a more natural position but something to remind me not to let it go crazy.

1 Like

Can you or someone who has a Correct Connect show an up-close photo of the reins on the horse with a rider using them? I’ve seen two versions so far (?) - one looks like a modified German Martingale, the other is just reins with lumps?

I’m interested in a pair but don’t understand the concept and the website doesn’t really make it obvious to me how it is beneficial. That may be a ‘me’ problem, I need to see/feel things and am too literal to conceptualize things sometimes.

2 Likes

legs first, then hands and core

They have more than one kind!

So 1, is a pair of gloves that are velcro and the reins are too though not super sticky to make you just keep your hands in one place.
Another is an short attachment on a breast collar that you hold with your normal reins, it just helps you keep a steady hand (I really would like to try this one)

And lastly the aaron vale ones that hav e large hand holds (there’s a number of different versions)

1 Like

I have the correct connect training breast plate. I actually used my regular breast collar in addition to this as It really didn’t seem to me to function like a breast plate should (I feel like it sat a little too high up, almost at the base of the neck. I’m not explaining this well, but I’ll see if I can find a picture of it on). I do like it. It definitely made me super aware of when I was pulling (because you’ll pull against where it’s connected to the “breast collar”) and you’ll feel it get snug / hit the end if it’s adjusted properly. You hold on to these “knobs” (for lack of a better word) that are connected via leather to the breast plate. If the leather connector is slack, your hands are (relatively) quiet. If they’re bouncing around everywhere, you will feel it. I found it really helpful for some of my super green horses especially, it just helped me be hyper aware of my hand stability. All this being said, it’s been sitting in my garage for the past year. Maybe I should pull it out again and see if I can feel myself needing it lol.

I’m another person who doesn’t understand how the reins help the rider. To make sure they’re even?? I don’t know how pads on the reins is supposed to keep my hand quieter.

ETA: correction of “doesn’t not” lol. Meant to either say “doesn’t” OR “does not” and my brain malfunctioned.

I think for me it would help becasue my right hand seems to have a mind of it’s own and RARELY keeps a good enough grip on the reins. so something like that would force it to happen or make it plainly obvious when I didn’t.

2 Likes