Unlimited access >

How to darken new CWD tack without ruining

I had this happen with a KL Select Black Oak bridle too, must be something about their leather. It worked out fine in the end, like yours, but boy, were those reins awful for awhile.

1 Like

Yes the plastic bag deal is a time saver. It seems like I leave more oil on a rag than I do the leather when I dip and brush on. Put in a bag, shake it around, leave overnight (or however long) and call it a day. I have individually dipped pieces in a bowl of oil, but again, wastes time and seems to waste oil. I just had a set of reins sitting in a bag of oil for a day or two and it soaked it all up; no wasted oil left over.

I didn’t know this was a thing! Granted I bought this saddle from a used saddle seller and not a rep. I keep forgetting to post updated pictures. A good several conditionings helped a ton and it soaked up some hydrophane as well and got even darker. I’m quite happy with it, even if it isn’t the naturally chocolate brown and still has the slightest red tint to it. It fits me and the horse, so that’s what matters.

I truly thought I was going to have to throw it away…

Thank you for passing this along, I wasn’t aware that this was an option!