Unlimited access >

How to get a powerful canter, without speed?

@JB you and I are in complete agreement. If you read all of my comments, I suggest the same over poles only.

I would love to see a video of OP doing lines in striding asked for to a standard A hunter line on aforementioned horse. A horse already short at the standard distance will really struggle to leave it out in practice, especially over poles where there is even LESS distance on the backside covered by the horse. Especially one that appears unbalanced/ lazy enough to break to a trot while coursing?

I rode 3rd Level + I am very aware how to gain adjustability. Upcoming show for OP, should do the add step until they can consistently nail the set distance from the appropriate track and rhythm at home. A competent trainer would also teach inside leg to outside rein and this wouldnā€™t be news to a showing client and OP likely wouldnā€™t need to be asking the internet how to gain power at the canter.

I donā€™t even know how you learn to canter without inside leg - outside rein? Literally step 2 here: https://howtodressage.com/troubleshooting/canter-correct-leg-lead/

Again, not everyone who has horses has trainers, but if youā€™re actively showing hunters at an A show and wanting to place ā€“ a good start would be fully riding inside leg to outside rein under trainer supervision OR post videos and photos so people can accurately diagnose as best they can over the interwebs.

Hopefully the OP gets video and the show and we can see what comes of all this! I notice only a few people willing to post photos and videos of themselves to describe what theyā€™re looking for advice on. Iā€™m always willing to put myself out there!

Iā€™ll see myself back to the eventing and dressage boards & only chime in non-hunter advice. I recommend a few dressage lessons and a spin the jumper ring to the OP.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad to hear you say this because this was my intuition as well. When I use the reins to regulate pace, I feel like I pull him off balance and put him on the forehand. Itā€™s most noticeable in downward transitions, but Iā€™m sure it happens in bigger->smaller canter transitions too.

Sitting deep and following the motion just a little slower makes a big difference. We schooled downward transitions today in just a neck rope and I could see it was making a big difference for us. He stays forward and doesnā€™t stall out, but also slows down without curling up. I just hope I have the coordination and presence of mind to do it correctly between jumps on a course.

This is because youā€™re pulling energy backwards, he hollows his back, drops the base of his neck, and falls on his forehand

Asking more more impulsion is about asking for more energy from behind, but then you contain that energy up front (bit, hackamore, neck rope) so that the horseā€™s frame compresses a little by the hind end ā€œdroppingā€ even a hair, the back lifting, the front end elevating a little because the neck is lifting up out of the withers.

Itā€™s like putting your hand flat on a counter/table in front of a wall, and scooching your hand forward so your fingers touch the wall. Keep scooching your hand, and the goal is for your fingers to bend upward in the middle. Thatā€™s the general idea with the horse

3 Likes

All transitions are ridden forward. Ride forward into an upward transition and ride forward into a downward transition

Up trannies have your hands allowing the front end room to move (without throwing away contact or ā€œcontactā€), down trannies are taking that energy and stopping it without sending it backwards, without pulling.

Having someone tell me ā€œride forward into the trotā€ (from a canter) was a real lightbulb moment.

2 Likes

@JB Agree with this!

I want to let you know that ā€œtrannieā€ is a slur for transgender individuals. I know youā€™re using it as a shortening for ā€˜transitionā€™, but itā€™s a bit of a shock to come across when youā€™re not expecting it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using ā€œtrannieā€ (transition) and ā€œweanerā€ (weanling) for a really long time. I canā€™t help it if something more modern has taken it a different direction :sunglasses: :laughing:

2 Likes

@JB You canā€™t help it if the word has an unintentional hurtful meaning now, but you can control if you continue to use the word knowing this information.

After reading Cloverā€™s post, I was today years old when stopped using that word as slang for ā€œtransmissionā€.

11 Likes

Really? Iā€™m a subscriber and nothing has seemed ā€œdubiousā€ to me so far. Granted Iā€™ve only taken two classes, but neither of them felt questionable. What classes on there do you find iffy and why?

Eh, I was going to say that word has been used for tranmission for longer than anything else. Iā€™m not sure itā€™s going to go out of style as a result of some people using it as a slur against transgender people.

3 Likes

I mean no disrespect to anyone at all, but Iā€™m really not going to lose sleep if I continue to say trannie in the obvious context of transitions between or within gaits of a horse.

I doubt the auto community will stop saying it either.

ā€œIgnorantā€ has been morphed into a bad word to mean someone is stupid, with far too many people remaining ignorant about its actual meaning (oh the irony!). Those who know itā€™s meaning can decipher between when itā€™s used rudely, and when itā€™s used properly. Iā€™m not going to stop using that word either

Should we also stop using"colored horses"? Chink? Coon? Retard?

Context matters, not simply a word. It would be exhausting trying to keep up with ā€œforbiddenā€ words just because some small segment of a population has chosen to turn it into something else. The masses shouldnā€™t have to cater to the tiny minority who is looking for trouble.

5 Likes

Yes, you should stop using those wordsā€¦

9 Likes

All of those words have a legitimate (non-derogatory) definition and usage. I think thatā€™s the point.

6 Likes

You can stop using a slur for your cutesy shortening of a horse-related word, though.

3 Likes

Sure. I just donā€™t think the automotive world will.

Iā€™m not sure we have to always be offended when someone clearly isnā€™t being offensive.

6 Likes

Are you going to always type out racoon, no truncation allowed ever? Coonhound - do they need to all change their entire breed names? Will you never say ā€œnitrofuracin retards wound healingā€? Do you expect the entire research world to never use ā€œretardā€? ā€œChink in the armorā€ - gap? What will you use for ignorant? Some find ā€œorientalā€ to be offensive - we should all stop calling them ā€œOriental rugsā€?

If someone canā€™t understand a wordā€™s use in context, why should everyone else have to make sure they donā€™t speak anything that potentially has an alternative, made up, derogatory meaning especially when that context is a total 180 from the one at hand?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not a subscriber, so youā€™ll have to take everything I say about NF with a grain of salt! But Iā€™ll occasionally go down NF YouTube rabbit holes. Thereā€™s nothing sketchy about the content, so thatā€™s not what I mean by dubious. It just doesnā€™t seem substantive, and I feel like the value is whatā€™s questionable. Maybe thatā€™s by design though? So you subscribe to get anything actually educational?

I obviously still voluntarily go down the NF rabbit holes! But itā€™s more about the lifestyle. Puff pieces on pros at WEF, seeing whatā€™s in their track trunk, what their barns look like, what their horses eat, etc. And ofc, I get bombarded with the IG ads. I like NF but I donā€™t seem to learn anything from all the free content I consume :joy: Itā€™s like junk food for my brain.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that people donā€™t understand the word in context, itā€™s just that itā€™s so easy to avoid. Itā€™s one thing to go out of your way to tiptoe around a synonym for an offensive term, but this is more like an example of going out of the way just to say it.

4 Likes

If I may digress back to the original topicā€¦couple of thoughts.

Think of riding the collected canter, driving from the back, leg to hand canter like riding a merry go round horse. Sit down, hands up, shoulder back and think ā€œup down up down up down up downā€ every stride. Whether for one or two strides before a down transition, a half dozen rolling back from an oxer to a vertical or riding up right to the base of that vertical, very briefly setting up a lead change or as an exercise around the rail. Up down up down hands up, shoulder back butt in the tack.

Overheard that from a leading Pony trainer teaching 6 to 8 year olds on school Ponies as an early introduction to the concept. Later heard it in clinic with an Olympian for Big Eq riders who should have had better understanding of basic theory and its execution given the level they were competing. That visualization worked remarkably well with both levels of riders it was described to.

Thatā€™s the elusive ā€œfeelā€ less competent trainers always tout but cant seem to teach to anybody anymore then they can teach a rider how to get a horse off the forehand, slow down or get a lead change. Said ā€œtrainersā€ are great at saying its wrong, rider needs to fix it but not telling a student how to fix it and/or teach the horse how to do it properly. Because they flat donā€™t know or do but cannot communicate it.

Perhaps OP might think of more educated instruction? As suggested upthread, a few Dressage oriented lessons, perhaps on a schoolmaster type might help OP enormously. Nothing like that Edison moment when the light bulb goes onā€¦ā€ohhhhā€¦THAT is what its supposed to feel/ look like. I GET ITā€

Far as the strides, leaving out is not safe unless you like rotational falls or bellying into an oxer coming out of a line or combination. We teach over low heights but horses donā€™t forget what they learn early on and take those habits with them when fences go up. They are what we teach them to be.

Can only speak to shows I see regularly with judges I personally know and lines are moved in or out as fence heights go up or down. Not set in concrete at 12ā€™ from poles to 3ā€™ with judges encouraging riders to leave out strides.

Just food for thought.

5 Likes

@findeight - you so delicately articulate my sentiments. Sometimes I am a blunt jerk, as I rather people be direct with me & really find constructive criticism helpful. Can you tell I like a trainer that is HARD on me? :smiling_imp:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and agreed that OP would absolutely benefit from higher quality instruction, IMO.

Exactly.

@JB, what would it really cost you to just say ā€œtransitionā€? There is literally no cost to you, but a proactive show of simple respect would mean a lot to trans COTH readers or trans/trans questioning folks in your own life.

Kindness, as they say, is free.

6 Likes