Unlimited access >

How to Handle Misdiagnosis

Good points @Pally.

A simple email with - ‘Here is the final information on Dobbin’s final diagnosis from University Clinic Place. I thought you might want them for his file.’ - and maybe end with a thank you for all the great care they give Dobbin and company.

1 Like

Yes.
Not a misdiagnosis, but did not end well for me or my horse.
I shared the necropsy report from Purdue with my local vet who had treated as best he could, then referred us there.
Infection that presented as abcess & progressed to anaerobic within the hoof capsule.
If anyone gets Blame, it is myself & I still beat myself up for not trusting my gut.
The Maybes & What Ifs are all on me, but I also realize I did what I thought best at the time.

I’m sorry you blame yourself sometimes. I know that feeling. It’s amazing how many times we’ve saved them from themselves when you stop to think about it. Horses are difficult to keep healthy because few of us could keep them in a truly natural setting. We do our best and they have good lives without the starvation in the winter and fat summers wild horses experience. The average wild horse only lives 15 years. Hugs.

1 Like

Thanks @moonlitoaksranch
I know I did what seemed right at the time.
But my takeaway is Trust Your Gut.
I’d rather find out I was overcautious than ignore something that could turn ugly.

LOL!
My horses live pretty close to natural.
Barefoot, out 24/7/365 (with access to stalls) mostly fed on natural forage when pastures are good, more hay than grain…

2 Likes

Indeed, part of the art of medicine, particularly veterinary practice, is knowing your clients and trusting their observations and gut feeling.

LCDR- I really hope that someone contacted the appropriate Vet College regarding the vet with the alcohol use problem. There is a wonderful treatment protocol with excellent outcomes for vets/nurses/MDs. You could save their life as well as prevent other clients suffering from their mistakes.