Unlimited access >

How to - show a thoroughbred in halter

Well, it didn’t quite go as hoped!

First off, she HATES being braided. She rubbed them out overnight (and I stayed up LATE to put them in), then at the show I fixed them as best as I could. While I was changing, she proceeded to rub them out again on the corner of the trailer. At that point I just laughed and decided I would show with 3rd grader braids. Whatever. :slight_smile:

I talked to the office ladies before I submitted my entries because the “non-stock” class had listed breeds, and thoroughbreds were not on there. I said that she looks like an appendix (sorta), and they told me to enter Quarter Horse halter. Mistake number one, as I heard there were a few TBs in the non-stock class.

Mistake number two was my perpetual “on-time-ness”. I was waiting at the ingate when they opened, and poor young mare was looking into this big empty arena and hesitated on her trot off. If I just would have waited for a few horses to go in first, it would have been much better, as we had been practicing that and it was looking super good at home. My fault! She stood great in the line up, and did a decent job getting squared up (I only had to hand move one foot, she’s got the “subtle movement” thing down pat for her fronts but not yet for her hinds).

So, due to those two things, we didn’t place in our halter class.

She was great for the ridden classes, and got a second and a third - one of the classes someone came off in a spectacular way and the horse came careening by bucking and carrying on with a slipped saddle - she thought about joining in but held it together. Good girl!

All in all, a very very successful first outing for her, I was pleased as punch! Thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate it!

12 Likes

A picture of us in the halter class. She tried so hard, despite my mistakes. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

What a pretty girl!

1 Like

She’s lovely! Congrats ! Is that gorgeous tail au natural?

1 Like

Heck no, my QH friend refused to be seen with me unless he could put a fake on her. :rofl: I told him if she didn’t spook at it, he could do whatever he wanted. She didn’t mind at all - in fact, probably enjoyed the extra length/thickness for the day!

2 Likes

It looks great!

1 Like

It does! Now, if only I could grow it that nice naturally. Fat chance, her wimpy tail seems genetic :(. It’s improved over the year I’ve owned her, but it’ll never be that nice!

1 Like

Glad it went well!

I wouldn’t beat yourself up over the halter class. All in the name of experience! I do think it’s odd that the women working in the office told you to enter her in QH when she’s not a QH, but hey, live and learn!!!

2 Likes

Me too, but I didn’t want to defy orders. At the bottom of the show bill it said “non-stock type classes - Arabs, Saddlebreds, Morgans, and Gaited” hence why I asked the office ladies the question.

I’m not worried about it, it got her in the ring and taught me to slow my roll on the ring classes - I’m so used to eventing with ride times etc that I got in a rush. It’s probably been 15+ years since I was in a show ring with other horses for anything other than a ribbon ceremony lol

1 Like

I’m glad y’all had a good time! You two make a nice pair!

1 Like

Thank you! She isn’t exactly what I was hoping for as an eventing prospect, but she’s been really fun to bring along so far. I figured I start with what she finds easy - standing around, and moving long n’ low. Sure was a blast from the past for me, haha.

2 Likes

Fun is worth a fair bit!

3 Likes

She looks like she’d make a lovely hunter @endlessclimb. ! Maybe not your cup of tea though but super marketable. And in my area we have classes just for TB hunters.

2 Likes

I think that’s what she wants to be, too. It certainly is not my cup of tea though - I’ll play around in it for a couple years and see where she’s at. If she can do lower level eventing stuff, I’ll be happy to keep her around. Otherwise I’ll find her a hunter extraordinaire home… or find her a baby daddy. :wink:

3 Likes

How big is she @endlessclimb? She looks good sized but maybe you’re a peanut lol. Does she have a flying change ? I know I’ve said already but she’s lovely.

2 Likes

She’s 16.2+, but she’s only just turned 4. She will have a flying change when she gets more balanced, its not something I’ve really worked on yet as she’s still struggling with general balance at the canter. She easily has a change when loose and “up”, but under saddle she prefers to get flat if I let her.

She’s still a baby, we have a lot of time. She’s downhill and growing yet, I don’t know where she will finish off at.

I am a peanut, at 5’1". :slight_smile:

Edit: And thank you! She is hands down the sweetest mare I’ve ever handled. Such a doll. She’s pretty and she knows it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ha! I’m a peanut too at 5’ nothing lol. If she’s a forward ride you own my kind of horse. I’d keep her for sure, best wishes and please post about your progress / adventures going forward.

2 Likes

She wasn’t when I started with her a year ago, but she’s made a 100% turnaround with complete consistency that my leg means go no matter what (and from not punishing her in the beginning when the forward was a little… uh… “extra”), as does my voice. Now she’s a feather light ride, and most people probably can’t even hear my voice cues when I’m lunging. She isn’t so sure how to stay soft to the hand, but I think that’s more of a fitness thing than anything for her (plus, I ride her currently in a 20mm rubber bit, trying to teach her to be soft rather than force it).

If I’m ever looking to sell, I’ll give you a ring. :slight_smile: She’s a super sweetie, and a pleasure to be around - to me, that takes her a long way, even if she isn’t as “sharp” personality wise as I was hoping.

3 Likes

Also, she is by Honor Code. Nearly all of his babies have a similar “look” as my mare, and from descriptions personalities too. Keep an eye out!

3 Likes

She is so cute!! You both look great.

3 Likes