Unlimited access >

How wide to make chute to pastures UPDATE: Paddock Paradise?

I’ve read that horses actually prefer non heated water if given the option, but will drink more heated water than cold water if it’s the ONLY option. I bet if you take away the pasture water, they’ll figure out they need to come up to drink.

Ah, here it is:

Interesting, right?

2 Likes

I set up a little paddock paradise setup to get my guys moving more and one mare got a bit colicky because she wasn’t coming back for water. I didn’t want to get into hauling water so I took down the dividing fence. That was a few years ago but I may try again this spring now that I have been putting the hay further away from the water in the paddock and they have adjusted to walking for water. They are creatures of habit!

Video, or it didn’t happen! :smiley:

Fun story, my uncle had a similar setup. Normally someone would walk the approx. quarter mile to the pasture gate to open it, and let the horses run down to the barn. Imagine his surprise when as a teenager I decided to hop on one of the mares, bareback (maybe with a halter a rope?) and clung on as she came barreling down with the others. To be young again :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Very interesting! Did my own experiment yesterday, filled their normal trough and set it by their heated tubs. Guess which one they drank from all day long? The unheated trough! However, my mare only drinks from the heated bucket in her stall, and leaves the other one untouched. The geldings, on the other hand, never touch their heated buckets!

@anon81364900 I’m on it! I’ll try to get a video of those crazies this week :slight_smile:

@Training_Cupid That is hysterical!!! God, I miss that kind of bravery! I remember galloping bareback on trail rides in a halter as a kid. The idea of that gives me major anxiety now!!!

Yep, they’re weirdos, right? :rofl:

I offer heated tubs in the barn and unheated water outside (I break ice every morning when they go out and it’s very rarely cold enough to freeze much during the day) and I always think it’s interesting which they prefer. They do drink well when in, but at least one horse takes a looooong quaff of the COLD water first thing once they’re turned out. Sometimes they line up to do it!

1 Like