Unlimited access >

Hygain Zero, Anyone here use it?

why not put him on a ration balancer, or Triple Crown Lite? 6lb of KNE for a horse pushing a BCS 7 is too many calories. It’s going to still be too many calories as-fed for the Seniority Low NSC

2 Likes

I purchased a bag of the Munga today. It’s fairly similar to the Showtorque I think but with a lower NSC. I’m curious to see how my picky old man TB likes it!

2 Likes

@JB I would like to do a RB but the Friesian people I got him from are stressing how important fat is in the diet for Friesians …they’re suggesting just cutting back the Kalm N Ez to 4lbs but keeping the K Finish and the oil the same ??

Pushing a BCS 7, I’d do the ration balancer and then add some K Finish if you want

1 Like

@JB I agree …these aren’t the best angles of some pics I have …but what do you think his body score is

1 Like

Body scoring on “round” horses really needs to be hands on. He could be anywhere from a 5 to a 7 LOL I have an acquaintance with a Morgan mare who looked only a little overweight when she was 600lb overweight :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Her After pic looks incredibly different.

2 Likes

@JB for me this is the confusing part …how do you safely supply fat for these horses without them gaining too much ??

1 Like

That’s the biggest question many PSSM1 draft owners have had for decades! You just figure out what fine line work - enough to support their health, not so much they’re obese.

I’m not familiar with a Friesian needing more fat in the diet as a function of the breed. Of PSSM1, yes, not as a breed. I’d want to know more about that before assuming what they said is true :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@JB Admittedly I don’t know very much about Friesians …I had only recently heard about fat in the diet for pssm

@JB here’s a better side view picture of my boy …I don’t think he looks overweight here ??

You still really need to put hands on him to at least see how easily you can feel ribs. Looks can be so deceiving. I don’t automatically think he’s overweight though.
The Henneke Body Condition Scoring System - Habitat For Horses

2 Likes

@Amberley yes …my vet did say for a Friesian he looked pretty good …but for his liking and with spring upon us he doesn’t want him any heavier -especially knowing that they’re generally easy keepers! I personally don’t think he looks overweight either. So that’s why I’m hesitant to change his diet beings that he’s doing well …however it might be safer or give more piece of mind from an NSC standpoint maybe with something like the Hygain Zero …it’s got less than half the starch/sugar content as the Kalm N Ez…I could feed him as little at 4.5lbs Zero for a minimum amount to meet requirements