Unlimited access >

I adopted a mustang- going to chronicle my saga here!

This may sound stupid or weird; but my mustang was not too keen on having his foot pulled forward for either the farrier or when girthing up. He was already used to being saddled and wearing tack when it came time to address all this; but his distrust of the farrier was part of the issue. I’m lucky in that my farrier is patient, tolerant and used to the idea of mustangs (also I’ve been a client of his for 16 years). We had my mustang hangout and observed the other horses getting their feet done and worked with him very slowly. It took a few cycles (about 3) for him to be comfortable with having his foot placed on the stand. Until then my farrier introduced the idea, rewarded him for letting him put the foot on the stand even if only temporarily and did his feet in whatever manner of holding was tolerated (slow process but successful). I sincerely think that being in with ‘the herd’ and seeing them put up with the process without drama helped calm my guys’ fears/reluctance. Of course mine was a ‘typical range stallion’ and if the boss mare said it was okay, well then, it was probably okay LOL.

8 Likes

It doesn’t sound stupid at all, I’m glad the issue isn’t unique to me. I am hoof care provider, so I can be patient, as I don’t have to worry about the urgency of getting through a scheduled appointment. I have been using the clicker, but even with this, he is way more opposed to this as other things we have been doing even after he figures out what I am asking for with by confirming with the click.

He hasn’t figured out that he can safely stand on 3 legs.
I would start with the hind hooves. It is natural for a horse to be weighted on the forehand.
I wouldn’t try to hold his leg or hoof at first. Just teaching him to lift his hoof when you touch his lower leg is of great value.

When you can get him to lift all four hooves, then I would start asking him to let you hold his hoof.

Once he learns how to shift his weight he’ll figure out he can safely stand on 3 legs.

You are doing great with him.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Sorry to be late to the party.
But do you know you can give banamine sublingual?
If you can touch his muzzle, open his mouth just enough to get a needleless syringe under his tongue, the mucosa there will carry the drug almost as fast as IV - 10min max.
I am an incredible Needle Weenie, always fear an abcess & this is how I dose my horses if needed.

Sounds like your progress is coming along great.
He plainly trusted you enough to show you his belly hurt & you would fix that.

2 Likes

How high up is his leg when you ask him to stretch it forward? You may already be experimenting with this, but with my one mare (not a mustang, but was effectively feral until she was 4, nearly 5), who found any leg handling objectionable, but found bringing her leg forward ESPECIALLY objectionable, I had the most luck by keeping her foot very close to the ground and low at first as I brought it forward. I started with pretty much just getting her to bring her foot about 1" farther than her other front foot and then putting it down on the ground that tiny bit ahead and very, very gradually increased the distance, letting her put her foot down immediately, but trying to get her to rest it forward on the ground for at least a moment. Then over time I could increase the length of time I had the foot up, along with the distance, and add slight elevation with a rubber feed tub first, then the lowest step of a plastic mounting block (since she found that fun to paw at and climb on naturally), and so on and so forth. She was really uncomfortable with her feet far off of the ground to begin with and I think a lot of it was related to being an unbalanced baby but she needed that slow progression and the safety net of being able to put her foot down easily because that meant she could more gently put it down if she was uncomfortable rather than her yanking it back and away, which threw her off balance, increased her anxiety, and caused a spiral. Now, I’ll never understand why this was such a big deal for a mare that wanted to climb into and on everything, including the wheel barrow and water troughs, with her front legs, given half a chance, but for her it was different when people were involved.

1 Like

I don’t think standing on three legs is the issue, as I have been able to work on his feet, picking, holding, trimming, etc, it’s specifically pulling the leg forward.

I did learn that I can give it that way, after that day! But it is good to know for the future for sure.

1 Like

That is a great thought. I am holding it higher, I guess habit from trimming and and stretching my other horse. I will definitely try holding much lower and see if we can progress from there!

1 Like

Hope it helps! My mare is a weirdo so YMMV but best of luck to you and your cute guy!

Tiny, itty bitty litttle bits. That is when you are able to make true progress. Just the tiniest fragment of an action you can possibly think of to break something down into. And stay there a couple of days, before moving along to the next little itty bitty piece. They need time to bring it all in. To ingest and digest. It is a challenge to break down anything into component parts, this is a learning process… for both parties, handler and horse. And, this is where trust is built, in the simple tiny little parts being slowly worked on together.

1 Like

Great progress to report today! We put together little things we have been working on individually! Lunging at the end of the 12’ lead line, walk/trot voice commands, while wearing a bridle and saddle. I’m so proud of him! Next week I will switch out to a full length lunge line and see if owe can keep out in the circle with that. In a few weeks we will work on adding side reins. Still working on pulling th feet forward :laughing: however I was successfully able to rasp both front feet earlier this week!

7 Likes

Sorry it’s been so long. My life went sideways in December, my husband had brain surgery :exploding_head: it was unexpected and the horses sat around enjoying the lack of any expectations from them for quite some time. Life is settling back into a normal pace and we are back at it. There were a couple of random lunging sessions here and there the past couple months. A couple weeks ago I drove him up the the driveway. I led him down to the end and drove back to the barn. Will definitely need to work more on that.

Yesterday we worked on clippers and touching up those long scraggly hairs under his chin and throat latch. He looks much more dignified with all that clears up.

14 Likes

Oh my! I’m so sorry about your husband. I hope he’s recovering well. I’m sure the horses missed you.

4 Likes

“The best laid plans…”

I hope your husband is doing well and am glad that you are getting back to some semblance of normal life!

3 Likes

Learning to step into the trailer on his own

7 Likes

I’ve had 2 mustangs. The first was one of the best and the easiest horse to train. The 2nd was a very difficult, aggressive mare that I finally rehomed after a year. She turned around nicely but after a year she still wasn’t under saddle. You could lean on her back, that was it. Her new owner loves her so I’m assuming I did a good job with her basic training. I probably won’t get another mustang… The amount of time you put into them is astronomical.

My new 2 year old has already surpassed my mustang in training after a couple months and it’s not like I am even working her everyday. She’s just a lot more trusting and less spooky. Already had a couple rides on her and all has gone well, other than the fact she has sticky feet. “I guess I can sort of walk with a rider as slowly as possible because I don’t see the point in walking in circles.” Swatting her on the rump with the whip gets a slightly faster walk and cracking the whip she just ignores. Definitely need to recruit someone with a lunge whip because she’s not inclined to do anything fast… But I’ll take safe and sane over crazy any day. And she knows whoa and back…

@4horses this is the most true statement ever about this whole experience! He’s officially for sale now because of the amount of time I put into him, my other horse is very neglected. I miss riding. And my kids have finally expressed an interest in riding (now that they are almost adults) so I picked up a “husband horse” type the other day as I don’t know how many years it will be before I would let them ride the mustang. Once the new horse is out of the round pen I’ve set up in the pasture to integrate him, I’ll be setting up the roundpen to get the mustang going under saddle.

It’s been an experience, and I;m glad I did it, but I don’t think I would do it again. I’ll keep working with him until he finds the right home. He’s absolutely adorable, and actually becoming handsome. Watching him move out in the pasture, I think he’ll make a great cutting horse someday, he’s got the moves for it. Right now he would have to be a reassignment, in August it will be easier once he’s titled.

1 Like