Unlimited access >

I feel old.. (riding lessons)

I think h/j barns are the easiest place to find lessons when you are getting back into horses. And that’s not a bad thing, as the better ones really focus on seat and equitation and balance and staying off the horse’s face. I’ve seen unfortunate results from adult beginners or returning riders going into mediocre dressage lessons too early, and learning to water ski on the reins, losing an independent seat.

Anyhow, h/j lessons on safe enough school horses is probably the safest and smartest way to ease back in. For myself, I did twice weekly h/j lessons until I felt that I was genuinely competent again to ride unsupervised (about a year and a half ) and then I started nosing about for half lease opportunities at other barns that had trail access (my first lesson barn was landlocked). I went through a couple of different situations before I ended up with current horse on long-term free lease, I did the h/j lessons on schoolies for 5 years total until I was sidelined with an injury and then never went back because my primary horse was taking up my time. I didn’t make a choice to leave the h/j lessons, it just happened.

TsarBomba, does it help if you think of your h/j lessons as much as riding physical therapy as actually learning things? It sounds like you’ve had some major medical stuff, and it’s fantastic you’ve recovered enough to want to ride again. Give yourself credit for that!

By riding PT I mean the primary point of doing riding lessons is to get riding fit and co-ordinated again, to make your body do what your mind knows.

You might be surprised at what you retained and what you lost. For instance I had forgotten how to hold the reins properly but I could still effortlessly sit a big sudden spook (amazing my h/j coach who didn’t think I could ride very well at that point!).

You will probably find there are some muscle memory things that are hardwired, some things where you know what you should do but the body won’t obey, other things that you can do but that hurt like anything because you’re out of shape (two point!), and maybe some things you always did wrong :).

But if you think about it as getting stronger and fitter because your body has gone through the wringer medically, rather than going back to zero because you don’t know anything, it might be easier to set goals and celebrate milestones for yourself that aren’t even obvious to anyone else.

When you feel safe and physically competent to head out alone on a horse again, you will find the next opportunity, whether that’s a half lease at the h/j barn or something totally different at a barn you don’t even know exists right now! Something will turn up when you are ready to start looking for it.

The other option is one I see too many returning riders take, and it’s not a good one. That’s to rush into horse ownership and pick up a bargain on a green project horse that needs a loving home, but is way way too much horse for the rider right now.

3 Likes

Excellent mindset to approach the situation because it is, in fact, truth. From a physical therapy perspective, there is a lot of room for personal growth and development. It does significantly lighten the situation too. It will be a new experience as my body isn’t the same.

Very, very true. Thank goodness I have the mental wherewithal right now to stop me from going down such a very possible route.

1 Like

I think intense probably wasn’t the best word, what I meant was that it was very productive and I always felt that I learned something. It was expected, since I’m not a beginner, that I would be properly warmed up so that we could start right in with whatever was on the agenda for that lesson. And we worked for the entire 30 minute lesson, although of course with a couple of brief breaks, mainly for me, not the pony. :slight_smile: I hope that explains it better. At the time the cost was $65 for a 30 minute private but I stopped riding about 8 years ago. I believe it is now about $80 or more for the same lesson.

1 Like

In my late 40s I joined a lesson program at the University I had previously attended. I was put in a lesson with all college-aged kids, of course, because that’s all there were! I can honestly say that I never felt uncomfortable and most of the kids were nice, though maybe not overly inviting. But I had fun, and learned a lot and got what I needed out of the program for a semester. I needed a confidence boost at the time, and the process of riding multiple horses helped a lot. Give it a chance. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: I recall one time when we were doing no-stirrup work the head instructor, who is older than I am, was kind of tough on me, saying, “Come on, us old broads need to show 'em how it’s done!” haha. I was challenged having to ride with the younger riders, which was a good thing.

3 Likes

Yes!! I came back to regular riding in my late 30s & remember thinking that I would never get back to the muscle memory and ease of doing things that I had when I was in my early 20s. It took a long time, but I would say I am back to that and well surpassed in terms of skills (you would hope!).

Of course, I can no longer leap on my horse bareback from the ground as I did when I was 19, but I will take it! The one thing that took me the longest was not clutching with my legs at the canter. It was so frustrating - I know I am not supposed to be doing this, I never did it before, WTH? It is so satisfying to realize one day…you’ve got it! Similar to the buzz you get when learn new skills, but now they are old skills that have returned.

So I went from clutching with my legs 10 yrs ago to now riding around bareback and messing around (more or less) like I did when I was a kid. I can’t tell you how awesome that feels. I will never get tired of it. Hope you have the same experience!

3 Likes