Unlimited access >

I hate eBay

If you can figure out the approximate weight and size of box needed, you can mess around with the pricing calculator on USPS and other services to get an estimate. Try a few zip codes that are further away from you and that’s pretty much going to be your max price. Go from there.

If the two boots are $80 new, depending on condition I might figure on getting $30-50 for the pair unless they’re in almost perfect condition. Then add the estimated shipping to that. The buyer might pay you $50 shipped where you end up with $30 in the end if it goes across the country or $40 if it sells closer. It can be a balancing act. Sometimes if the shipping cost is crazy (heavy/bulky item) you need to adjust your expectation of how much you’ll end up with. For some items it does end up working out better to sell locally or just place at a consignment shop.

2 Likes

Ok relished for $45! Fingers xed :joy:

Why would someone buy an item they don’t intend to buy?

I’m considering selling some stuff on eBay; trying to learn what I might encounter.

@AwiUsdi - It’s a scam. They’ll try to get you to take the payment outside of eBay and do a fake payment so you send the item but never get the money or try to get your bank info.

Info from eBay about how to reduce it with your listing settings - https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Bots-purchasing-my-items/td-p/32449187

I will still buy on eBay occasionally but have stopped selling anything there. It’s not worth it to me between the fees and the hassle.

1 Like

I’ve been burned on eBay by a couple of sellers, who presented themselves as small tack shops or mid-level supply houses. I promptly paid and then the items never arrived. In My Ebay, it would say the items were shipped, but the tracking numbers were fake. Ultimately I wasn’t out any money, but it was so dishonest and such a hassle. I stick to just a handful of sellers now.

As an eBay seller, I’ve sold some nice used stuff: bridles, breeches, reins, etc. While I’ve never had any bots or outright scammers, I’ve had issues where people were really slow to pay. I felt like I had to grovel to get my money. Then I’m nickeled and dimed by eBay fees.

I’m to the point where it’s easier to sell stuff at bargain prices to friends at the barn or lesson kids just starting to show. I also donate to the humane society thrift store. They have an entire room dedicated to horsey stuff!

3 Likes

I gave up on EBay a long time ago and now if I have any stuff to offload I do it through Facebook Marketplace.
Zero fees or fuss and I can list on numerous groups / pages to get the best audience.
There will be scammers wherever you sell, so you need to be savvy, but I’ve not personally had any issues so far (now touching wood with some conviction!!)
I’ve just sold a load of Wow saddle parts on there

1 Like

I don’t have horsey stuff to sell, but am (or was?) considering eBay to sell “stuff”, <$100, that I don’t want but that has enough value (IMO) to try to make a bit of money rather than taking it to Goodwill. Given the demographics of my area, FB isn’t a good option.

I’m not the salesperson type and the thought of establishing a sales site, then marketing and shipping stuff, seems enough of an aggravation. I’d do it though if people were generally normal. However I’ve looked at past threads and it appears that in many cases, they just aren’t. AND the dishonesty and weirdness is to the buyer’s advantage. I don’t have the mentality or the patience to deal with some of the shenanigans I’ve read about (in COTH alone, I can’t imagine what I might find on Reddit!), nor the time to deal with it.

My short term plan is to box up the “maybe valuable-ish” stuff and reengage in a few years time. Maybe by then eBay will have shifted towards a model more friendly to sellers as well as buyers, or maybe a new service will emerge that responds to current dissatisfactions with eBay and FB. Or it will just go to Goodwill.

While looking through some of the old threads I came across the bison bone saddle tree thread (far better quality than sheep bone)! COTH has some gems :rofl:

1 Like

This might be a stupid question, but I was going to sell some stuff on eBay and they wouldn’t let me get payed by PayPal? I had to give eBay my bank info, and I declined. Thought about Facebook, but that’s no good? I have three saddles, new custom Dehners, bridles, etc. the consignment shop is weird about actually paying you, so what are some options?

Are you new to selling on eBay, or has it been a long time since you sold on there? It may be some kind of verification thing they’re doing to make sure you are “you”. I think what eBay/Paypal does is deposit a few cents into your bank account and you have to acknowledge it in order to activate your account.

I think Paypal owns eBay or eBay owns Paypal or something incestuous like that.

3 Likes

I’ve sold a lot of stuff on eBay but not in a few years. I just don’t feel comfortable giving them my bank info, then they said they would take the money out before it sold? It was weird.

eBay no longer allows PayPal for the seller’s payout, unfortunately. I believe they split up sometime around 2015.

As for other options, I posted to Craigslist and haven’t had one inquiry. Marketplaces are very difficult startups. It’s my pipe dream to start an equestrian one, but do I really want to spend my free time with JavaScript? Not really.

1 Like

Yes, that. I think it was 2017 when I sold some old Dubarry boots and got way more than I thought I would, then sold some bits and actually had two people trying to get me to sell the bit outside the auction and overnight it to them for a horse show! Weirdness.

For your boots, check out the group Dressage Boot Addicts Anonymous on FB. Pretty easy to buy and sell there!

2 Likes

I’m not sure that is the case; I both buy and sell, with payments managed thru Paypal. But then I have had my eBay (and Paypal) accounts for a long time; maybe eBay is requiring new members to use their system now?
I can tell you that if you want to sell on eBay, you will need to register some sort of financial information with them, so they can deduct their percentage. A credit/debit card is probably the safest option overall; ask your financial institution.
You may also have to provide eBay with information (SSN, etc) for income tax purposes, as they do report income in excess of the IRS minimum, which IIRC is like $600/yr. And then they have to collect sales tax too . . .
As a general rule, you can expect about a 10% hit on any eBay sale, whether you use eBay or Paypal, just FWIW.

You can still still buy on eBay using PayPal however eBay will no longer accept PayPal for the listing fees or pay out through PayPal.

For selling payouts, you have the option to have them pay directly to your bank or pay a debit card for an additional fee.

I’ll bite-- trying to find a used bridle that doesn’t feel like plastic is near impossible. Not to mention any that I do find are hellishly expensive. I need a beater bridle for youngsters and schooling and would love to find a used older bridle in good condition and soft leather.

There’s nothing on eBay anymore-- for the reasons stated above-- but Facebook marketplace sucks just as bad to deal with, even if you don’t do the Facebook pay. I’ve picked over the (measly) consignment options in my area. Where is a girl to go?

1 Like

@blue_heron

There are a ton of tack groups on Facebook I’ve bought and sold from.

English Tack Trader
English tack for sale and wanted
Dressage tack for sale
Endurance tack swap (wide variety)
Elite English tack for sale

That’s some but not nearly all. I mainly use endurance tack swap, English tack trader and English tack for sale and wanted.

There’s several local equestrian groups that I search in when I need something also.

2 Likes

I join every tack swap/sell group on Facebook i come across lol. The thing is it’s near impossible to sort through the groups. If you search a keyword, the posts are completely out of order. Or it just shows me the local marketplace stuff. Maybe I’m just Facebook illiterate.

1 Like

It can be aggravating, that’s for sure. Sometimes the search works great in individual groups and some days it does seem like I see more marketplace ads than others.

Those days I give up and try again later. :joy:

1 Like

Go in and change your buyer preferences to only buyers with verified PayPal accounts and it will cut down on it considerably. you can change other buyer preference too depending on your desires.