Unlimited access >

I kind of want a fish in my office.....I think. Do I?

[QUOTE=caffeinated;7893736]

If you’re interested, another really attractive desktop setup is this one:

http://www.petco.com/product/121503/Fluval-Spec-V-Aquarium-Kit-in-Black.aspx

Expensive, but the dimensions are fun to work with and there is more horizontal swimming space than the average 5 gallon tank. :slight_smile: We have one on our kitchen pass through.[/QUOTE]

Hee hee hee … I just ordered this tank to give to my DH for his birthday! Then, I think I’ll get him a nice betta for Xmas.

I have a 5 gallon tank on my desk with a Betta, and I highly recommend it. People LOVE coming into my office to say hi to him, and new people always ask about him. Unfortunately, I was hoping for a tank that would make a bit of white noise, and the one I bought is pretty much completely silent, but the fish seems pretty happy. The maintenance is pretty minimal and very doable at work. My coworkers actually I think like it when I go on vacation and they get to feed the fish (although I am pretty sure he always gets overfed no matter how much I say to only feed a bit). I let the tank cycle for ages before getting around to buying a fish and the empty tank drove my coworkers crazy, so the poor little guy will forever be known as ADT (About Damn Time), but he doesn’t seem to mind.

I think having a betta in your office is a great idea! A 5 gallon tank is pretty easy to squeeze in a corner & I think it would be good for morale.

My secret hobby is salt water aquarium planning. I’ve always wanted one but I move around the country & haven’t been settled enough. Nor do I really have the disposable income to fork out for the setup, YET. It’s one of those “eventually” dreams! Sea horses, royal grammas, tiny hermit crabs, maybe a coral in a 50-75 gallon tank.

Gold fish are so much easier than betas. I recommend gold fish.

Actually, goldfish are not easier to take care of. While goldfish are temperate water fish (so they don’t need a heater,) they require care in other ways. Goldfish produce TONS of waste, so you’re looking at a 20 gallon tank (ideally) for one fish, plus heavy duty filtration. In addition to that you have to do at least a 25% water change a week. They are hardy fish, but require a very large tank and lots of maintenance to get rid of waste.

[QUOTE=SAcres;7918487]
Actually, goldfish are not easier to take care of. While goldfish are temperate water fish (so they don’t need a heater,) they require care in other ways. Goldfish produce TONS of waste, so you’re looking at a 20 gallon tank (ideally) for one fish, plus heavy duty filtration. In addition to that you have to do at least a 25% water change a week. They are hardy fish, but require a very large tank and lots of maintenance to get rid of waste.[/QUOTE]

Plus, if you are taking proper care of the fish, they live 20+ years (12ish for the extreme fancy ones) and get about a foot long.

That’s a much bigger commitment than a betta!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Goldfish get huge and create a huge bio load which means they poop a lot. Goldfish need ponds or large tanks. I think a 50 gallon minimum for one goldfish.

I dont think anyone has mentioned cycling your tank before adding fish. Google the nitrogen cycle. You want to let the tank cycle before adding the fish. You can do a fish in cycle but it requires daily water changes.
As far as cats and fish go, I have 9 cats and 4 aquariums. As long as you have a sturdy lid on your tanks there shouldn’t be problems. My cats do like to lay on the lids because the lights are warm and they occasionally watch the fish and bat at the glass but they’ve never tried to catch the fish in the tank.

6 year old thread bumped by spam.