Unlimited access >

I need to get rid of raccoons in the barn

Marshmallows are well known as one of the best raccoon bait for traps.

1 Like

Yes, What @endlessclimb said about marshmallows.

Another issue with trapping and relocating is that you’re also creating at least a percentage of those trapped that will become wise to it and refuse to be trapped again.

1 Like

i put the hav-a-heart trap inside of a rubbermaid trash can. I tie it in there to the handles of the trash can and then tie the handles to something stationary. I put the food in the trash can underneath the actual trap. Fried chicken bones have always been my best bait.

about three years ago i trapped over 30 raccoons. I think somebody in town was trapping and releasing here, because i’ve never trapped so many before nor since.

1 Like

Hate to tell ya, but they’re not happier there. If they’ve lived even this long, right now they’re suffering because they were dropped into an area where they don’t know where to find food & water and the whole time they’re seeking that out, the resident population of raccoons is trying to kill the intruders.

Don’t relocate raccoons. Harden your structures to keep them out and away from food.

2 Likes

This was going to be my suggestion as well. We’re surrounded by woods, but I have four large dogs that keep the racoons (and coyotes, and foxes) away from my barn and my chicken coops. Do you have a dog that could stay in the barn until it scares them off?[quote=“candyappy, post:16, topic:768355, full:true”]
Trap them or can you keep a dog at the barn? I had a family until my big dog found a youngster. They were gone the next day. Hard way to learn a lesson.
[/quote]