I should know what this is…but can’t place

Poor dude.

3 Likes

I saw a case of Clover Poison, which caused photosensitivity in the horse. It was a grey Arab cross pony. Pony was fortunate to have the black Arab skin but her two front legs had short white socks (pink skin underneath hair) that exuded a serum liquid that took the hair off. So legs were pretty ugly. Pony Club kid whom we advised to put zinc oxide on the legs, only turn out at night. Told kid she could not attend Rally with pony legs bald! Sounds mean but kid needed to care for that NICE pony!! Kid was a bit lazy but did love going to Rally, so she then provided the attention, application of skin protection DAILY, needed to clear up the problem. Pony had hair, no seepage on either leg when Rally time came around. She competed well and pony looked great.

Certain plants Alsike Clover, St Johns Wort, wild Parsnip, can cause that photosensitivity in a horse with white markings, pink skin under hair.

1 Like

Bless his heart.

1 Like

Well, looks like he is on the home straight of phase one of this. Despite people who haven’t seen him before thinking he looks bad, those of us who see him regularly are delighted with his progress. He has sloughed off most of the skin he is going to lose, looks like one good bath, using an exfoliating sponge would be a great feline to him, then it’s just patiently waiting for the hair to grow. I can’t help but wonder how long it will take for him to be rideable again.

Current status

5 Likes

Fascinating! Would love to see more pictures.

As an aside, yet more proof that ticks have no mercy or decency… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Latest update, new people seeing him go “Oh that’s horrible “

Those of us who see him often think he looks so much better, apart from his weight :cry:

But then idiot decided to pick a fight when he got some company overnight! Nothing like a naked fight

8 Likes

One more week, and he is doing so well! Now coming in a little later each morning, and sunshine does appear to be triggering his hs hair growth.

14 Likes

Getting close to at least fuzzy all over!

I had to bring Mellow in for the farrier today, and he is looking pretty good! He’s now out full time, wearing his sun suit and doing well. I groomed him all over with my Tiger Tongue, and he really loved it, rough enough to scratch everything, but not enough to do damage. The farrier was pointing out the rings on his hooves that show when he was ill, they will be interesting to watch grow out.

7 Likes

He looks so much better! Poor guy, he must have been miserable.

Kudos to his care team!

3 Likes

My white horse had a terrible reaction to his clothes that were washed with liquid Tide - Also, if they are on Lyme med they can be photosensitive

1 Like

“Wild” horses in the USA are actually feral, escaped from humans who introduced them from the 15th century onwards. White colouration has been actively selected by humans for millenniums because they look different and are attractive. More “primative” horses, such as the iberian Sorraia are dun.

Wow! That looks uncomfortable to say the least. Poor guy.

I may have missed it but how was his liver?

1 Like

I didn’t hear any reports on that, so cant answer.