Unlimited access >

I swear I searched before asking: foal worming protocol

[QUOTE=rideagoldenpony;2946379]
We do pretty much the same as what Genevieve said – with the exception of the 30 day worming, we do Panacur for that one. Then at 60 days Strongid, then rotating between Strongid and ivermectin every 30 days for the first two years.

My vet also just called me the other day and said she wanted me to change the worming of the mare on foaling day from ivermectin to Zimecrtrin Gold. So we will make that change this year.[/QUOTE]

Be careful Gretchen. I wormed 5 here with Z-Gold in early November and within 48 hours --2 of the 5 got bellyaches and laid down and went to the hospital. I can not prove the Z-Gold caused it–but, in 15 years, I have not had a pony with a bellyache… and it seems too coincidental that 2 of the 5 laid down within 48 hours of Gold.

I do not use Zimectrin Gold. Too many bad things happen with it that are NOT related to what I consider an acceptable response to a dewormer - which is mainly toxicity due to a large wormload being killed off. Burned lips does NOT fit that description :no:

I would ask my vet to do a little homework on that dewormer and then recommend another of that type.

Windswept and EqRider – thank you for mentioning that. I will talk with my vet about it. She has a Morgan breeding farm, and it is run in a nearly identical way to ours, as far as worming practices, pasture management and such, so I know this is what she is doing with her own mares. But I will definitely talk to her about it!!

reading all of the responses the majority of posters which refer to strongid and ivermectin based products but when is everyone treating their foals/weanlings/yearlings for encysted worms? no one seems to mention it. Double dosing with strongid doesn’t deal with encysted worms and neither does ivermectin nor panacur paste and those are the little blighters that usually cause the problems. :confused: