Unlimited access >

Ideas for three sided shelter conversion?

I’m sure she means the (usually) pink foam boards. 4x8

1 Like

this was over 30 years ago, we used the foam board that is foiled backed then T1-11 (which has been replaced with James Hardy siding to reduce fire risk

But today I sure would look at using Zip-R Sheathing … it is a superior product

here is a YouTube explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E67H47gPTcI

2 Likes

If you can find a way to insulate the ceiling that will help. Uninsulated metal roofs will have a lot of condensation that will “rain” in the barn

1 Like

That’s exactly what we were worried about. Plus, the wood itself provides insulation in a relatively small closed building with large animals. I was also wondering what the point was since the roof isn’t insulated (which means no roof dams).

How do you insulate without trapping too much moisture and speeding up the corrosion of the roof? Plus, roof dams.That’s a real thing here with the heavy snows. The roof is too tall to effectively use a roof rake to clear it before a melt, refreeze cycle.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. We really wondered if we needed additional posts between the existing ones, but it seemed very stable without, so less work, lol. The posts are eight feet apart.

You can see a small gap at the bottom in the corner. We plan to dump another layer of rock after we sink the posts for the stalls.

Interesting, thank you for that informative video. :slightly_smiling_face:

When I had my barn built 8 years ago I had what’s called Double-Bubble insulation put in under the steel roof. With this I don’t have an issue with condensation and the steel isn’t getting wet so it shouldn’t affect it’s lifespan.

As for snow, it builds up and adds to the insulation in the winter. If we get a warm day it just slides off creating a lot of noise and a small avalanche in the process. It’s only a problem if it gets too deep, but buildings in snowy climates should be designed for a significant snow load. My barn is pretty exposed to the wind so the snow doesn’t get very deep, but it has gotten to 8-12" on the roof without a problem.

Insulation under the roof

Not an unusual winter scene

1 Like

it appears you have fastened the lumber to the post which should be fine but if there is warping the wall can easily be stabilized by adding a vertical board halfway

I used U channels that I loose dropped the 2 by 8 into… to secure my wall half way down I added a vertical 5/4 decking board that has rounded edges to lock my wall. (these are commonly available at the big box stores, edges are rounded and the boards are treated)

this photo shows the 5/4 board (this being a shared stall wall there is another 5/4 on the opposite side also)

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, Clanter!

1 Like

I totally referred to this and attempted it when my old guy was pts about a month ago. I kept hoping he would lay down first before the final injection but no luck. As soon as he was down and ‘gone’, I managed to fold his back legs up n together and tied those, then did the same to the front legs and tied all 4 legs together with baling twine. Mainly to try to make the size of the hole a little smaller for my burial guy. I never realized how heavy a horses head really was until I went to get the halter off him!!

Sorry, op barn looks great and back to the building comments!!!

2 Likes