Unlimited access >

In case you ever thought you had a bad day at a clinic (video clip)

[QUOTE=charismaryllis;9012558]
yeah, i have to admit i’m wondering: if this were not a BNT, but someone’s friend doing this, would the comments be this forgiving? i suspect they’d run more along the lines of, “what an IDIOTIC thing to do!”[/QUOTE]

Better yet, what if it was Ellen Doughty-Hume?

We have an epic thread about her and her ways of being tough with horses; this could have very well been one of her incidents.

I think it’s dumb too…especially when you make your living off being able to move around. I doubt he will try that again though…

It was hilarious hahaha

I’ve had people offer to be a human or horse-and-rider block for when Ollie was pulling shenanigans. And I’ve had to tell them hell no each time. There are some horses - including mine - who will run into ANYTHING and not feel bad or nonplussed about it in the slightest. It’s not a good idea…

[QUOTE=Auburn;9012551]
asterix, First let me say that I love your horse! That is some great riding by you! Why is Boyd wearing those shoes? Who brought the dog that was trying to give you a bone, while you were doing airs above the ground? ;)[/QUOTE]

She said in her post that the dog is Boyd’s dog.

[QUOTE=asterix;9012481]
Ok, my sequence starts here (please note these are professional photos - she has made the gallery public but don’t copy them)…this is after our first stop approaching the ditch in a normal way. He then had me go around the other side (which is on a slope) and try it from there.
Many antics ensued.
Before you ask, no, that’s not the first time he has behaved like this.
Yes, that’s Boyd’s dog.
No, it didn’t actually make anything worse.
There are no pics of him holding the bridle or reins, but at the end there you can see him jumping the ditch having just let go of my horse. When my horse finally went it was fairly impressive and Boyd was very quick with his feet to scoot away.

On the bright side, those final pics make me realize my horse CAN jump any ditch I can find from a standstill, and I need to over my anxiety that we will end up IN the ditch when he pulls this crap.

https://amberwriter.smugmug.com/Clinics/Win-A-Day-Clinic-Cross-Country/i-qskXvzX/A[/QUOTE]
wahoo! and nicely sat !looks like a huge leap indeed :slight_smile:

love your guy’s roach too.

Well, as I said, he DID have a hand on either the bridle or the reins (I think it was the reins, but honestly I cannot recall) until the point of no return, as it were, where he was going over and my horse was not or he was going over and my horse was.
My feeling was mostly that, as you can see, I was not entirely in control of where his feet went, and therefore couldn’t as a rider ensure that Boyd would be safe. That was on Boyd, and he did a great job in that instance.
Auburn, if you looked at those pics and decided you love my horse, perhaps I should give him to you :smiley: - that is his absolute WORST behavior. He’s a very cool and talented dude but seriously has a mind of his own.
Thanks for the compliments thought!
That was Boyd’s dog …and it was like a million degrees out, so I assume that’s why he was wearing those shoes…

So…

Boyd’s dog was on a ‘verbal invisible leash’?

Yep. You can see how well it worked, I think. :lol:

Yikes!

I was once at a Mary Wanless clinic where one of the participants was having a horrible time with her huge ill-behaved WB. The darn thing got loose when she was just holding it at the other end of the ring, and made a beeline for MW… In her very dry, British way, she asked that the horse be “removed from the venue.”

[QUOTE=JER;9012572]
Better yet, what if it was Ellen Doughty-Hume?

We have an epic thread about her and her ways of being tough with horses; this could have very well been one of her incidents.[/QUOTE]

There’s different versions of tough.
The ones referred to with EDH recently were divorced from the original problem by both time and location.

This is ‘persistent’ tough. Same place, same location, same timeline. Though it IS dangerous to be leading the horse to and over the ditch, he’s TRYING to take advantage of the horse’s natural herd instincts to get the horse to follow him. It would be better with him on another horse to provide a lead but he wasn’t riding. Persisting without escalating even as the horse throws a tantrum is called good training. There was always a way out, and Boyd was showing him the way.

I would have done it differently, but I’m nowhere near as crazy, athletic or nimble aka not a 4* rider.

Boyd’s dog was not on a verbal leash…it was loose at his own farm. Farm owner makes rules. His dog is allowed to be loose if he wants him loose.

I know that ditch and it is not very large so I can understand why he attempted to lead a horse over it. And I have been a human wing many times. I was always taught to watch the horse’s eyes and make sure to get out of the way because they will run you down. Boyd just didn’t move fast enough out of the way.

None of those are abusive to a horse.

I might be the only one but I personally dislike when trainers stand in front of horses. Regardless of the exercise, I think it’s too dangerous. Luckily Boyd wasn’t hurt.

I hate it. Boyd and his helper were “wings” on some question he was trying to get my horse to go through the one and only time I rode with him, and Vernon, who was as honest as could be but was finding Boyd’s questions a bit overwhelming, would not go near the fence until I told them they HAD to move. Vernon didn’t jump people, and he thought he was supposed to be jumping them.

I’m glad he wasn’t hurt. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened before.

I love the photos where the dog is clearly trying to encourage the horse to jump the ditch. In real life, not my idea of a good time. In photographs, when everyone lived to tell about it = priceless!

The photo sequence is amazing! You should frame a few in a row for a fun conversation piece in your living room or office. Also, the first shot should have been you holding a Bud Lite with a thought bubble above your head that says, “Hold my beer and watch this!” LOL:lol:

[QUOTE=Synthesis;9012805]

This is ‘persistent’ tough. Same place, same location, same timeline. Though it IS dangerous to be leading the horse to and over the ditch, he’s TRYING to take advantage of the horse’s natural herd instincts to get the horse to follow him. It would be better with him on another horse to provide a lead but he wasn’t riding. Persisting without escalating even as the horse throws a tantrum is called good training. There was always a way out, and Boyd was showing him the way.[/QUOTE]

Synthesis, I actually was referring to (1) standing next to that side of a ditch and (2) grabbing a horse’s bridle to lead them when I made that statement. I was not commenting on being persistent in making a horse go over a ditch.

I realize that attacks on hypocrisy – in this case, the differing treatment on this board of EDH and BM – are a dime a dozen.

But then you know what else are a dime a dozen? Lapses in safety practices that lead to so-called ‘freak’ accidents.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JER;9012888]
Synthesis, I actually was referring to (1) standing next to that side of a ditch and (2) grabbing a horse’s bridle to lead them when I made that statement. I was not commenting on being persistent in making a horse go over a ditch.

I realize that attacks on hypocrisy – in this case, the differing treatment on this board of EDH and BM – are a dime a dozen.

But then you know what else are a dime a dozen? Lapses in safety practices that lead to so-called ‘freak’ accidents.

:)[/QUOTE]

Here’s the difference:
Boyd’s dog is at his owner’s house/farm/facility.

EDH’s dog[s] are brought to other farms/facilities with strict leash laws that EDH does not obey.

No double standard, no hypocrisy, no nothing.

I am far from someone who believes dogs should be near or around horses… but it’s ridiculous to compare the two instances: one belongs on the property, the other does not.

Boyd is no saint and people can differ on safety measures… but to compare these to what was being accused on the EDH thread is just ridiculous.

The OP did not start this thread saying look at the great teaching techniques of Boyd or look at how horrible. The video does show one reason that Boyd may get hurt more often than most. The guy does take risks. It is also probably why he is more successful as a competitive rider in this sport. And the video does show the risk of being a human wing…but come on… JER you are just looking to create drama now.

[QUOTE=JER;9012888]

:)[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked a person is allowed to have their dogs run around on their own property if they desire. If a person does not want to ride on Boyd’s property with his dog loose they have a choice of either saying that they would prefer to not have to deal with the dog or simply not riding there.

I have yet to read a complaint about EDH having her dogs on her own property being an issue.
I must have missed those posts because I am sure you would not be comparing EDH having her dogs at places with strict dog leash rules with Boyd having his dog at his own place, right?

[QUOTE=trubandloki;9012903]
Last time I checked a person is allowed to have their dogs run around on their own property if they desire. If a person does not want to ride on Boyd’s property with his dog loose they have a choice of either saying that they would prefer to not have to deal with the dog or simply not riding there.[/QUOTE]

Then I hope everyone was informed in advance.

The issue is not ‘my property, my rules’. It is safety.

For the purposes of a clinic, where horses/riders/trailers are brought in from other places, the best safety practice would be to keep the dog either (1) on a leash or (2) on a part of the property from which he cannot access the clinic area.

Between bridle-grabbing (if that in fact happened, that’s unclear), standing next to a ditch where getting bowled over is a very real possibility (and in fact a reality), and the loose dog ‘helping’ a rider having a hard time with her horse, I see some pretty questionable safety practices on display.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;9012900]
The video does show one reason that Boyd may get hurt more often than most.

come on… JER you are just looking to create drama now.[/QUOTE]

Not looking to create drama at all. Actually, I’m completely agreeing with the statement you just made about Boyd getting hurt ‘more often than most’.