Unlimited access >

Injectable Omeprazole for stomach ulcers?

Depending on location and severity of the ulcers, it can take a lot longer then the normal monthly dosage of gastroguard. Mine took almost 2 years and now lives on a daily dose omeprazole. Did you get scopes done before and after the GG so you can see any changes or make sure the ulcers aren’t also around the pyloric sphincter?

Scoped before with no pyloric. Vet didn’t want to scope after as there was no improvement and we can use the scope money for additional treatment. This horse has been on gastrogard before with no response so we went with a different route. Studies show the injectable is more effective anyway. If I had to keep her on gg for years I would not be able to keep her ($$$), so fingers crossed…

Any updates on injectable omeprezole? Pros, cons, vet attitudes toward, ease of availability, etc?

@SharonA https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/forum/discussion-forums/horse-care/10357492-recent-experiences-with-injectable-omeprazole Readily available - vets can order it from BET.

Tried 2 months of the injectable omeprazole, just scoped again this week, no improvement in my poor horse’s glandular ulceration :frowning: Not sure where we go from here, unfortunately, but vets said to stop the injections at this point.

My horse had moderate glandular ulceration. I did seven weeks of 1 tube of gastrogard and slow feeder with some alfalfa. His stomach looked perfect on the follow up scope. He was not being ridden as he was nursing a check ligament injury at the time. I keep him on a daily dose of gastrogard as advised. Make sure to give the medication first thing in the morning and an hour before breakfast. I have treated ulcers a few times and this seems to be important.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/evj.47_12732 it May be worth trying be sure to use the same dose as gastrogard.

Thanks but we did that for longer than 7 weeks and it unfortunately didn’t clear my horse :frowning: The ineffectiveness of that plus misoprostol is why we tried the injectable, which some research suggests can be more effective for some horses. Just not mine, unfortunately <sigh> Have also biopsied, which turned up nothing. Dr. Sykes, who has done a lot of the research on these, has even consulted on our case, reviewing his diet and all of the video and images from the scopes. So, we seem to be one of the unlucky cases that the usual options aren’t working for.

Have you tried antibiotics? Its is a bit of a gamble as sometimes they make ulcers worse but there are some cases that clear up with the combinations of antibiotics and gastrogard. I mentioned nexium because it is more effective at surpressing acid than omezaprole. However I had read the dose needed to start at 20 pills daily for 30 days (not 3 mentioned in the thread) this would make it expensive but maybe worth trying. The link I added referred to nexium healing glandular ulcers that did not heal with omepazole.

Best Wishes!

Thanks, yes we tried antibiotics with no improvement 😢

Thanks, yes, we tried antibiotics but it had no effect :(. I found a great article in a UK or EU vet journal that went through all the treatment options, and even had a decision tree, and we had literally done everything in the article, with only limited improvement. Just one problem, they didn’t have a section on what you do when all of it fails to clear the problem!

Sports medicine vet told me that some horses are chronically plagued with ulcers. He recommends daily Omeprazole. Perhaps manage your horse as best you can maybe things will improve with time. Keep life as natural as possible but treating ulcers is contradictory to good management Omeprazole is best absorbed on an empty stomach. Merial told me 70% percent of theAbsorption absorption was lost with food. In a recent study 1/2 the horses in the study were fed high grain low fibre. The other half had a hay only diet with slow feeder. The horses with the high grain low fiber diet healed.

maybe six months of grass.

You have probably read this article but it’s a different prospective https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2018/03/06/diet-critical-omeprazole-stomach-ulcers-horses/ worth reading

Would turning him out for three months with omezapole treatment be a consideration? I know many horses in our area That have been prescribed daily omezapole for the rest of there lives. Maybe some gastric support and Dr green?

best wishes!