Unlimited access >

Is asking a horse to stand still the wrong approach?

Well. Not a pro by any means but have been lucky enough to start a handful of greenies under saddle over the last few years. Round pen leads to arena, leads to field, to bigger field, then trails. Usually we go solo and add a trail buddy when they’re confidently riding out alone but that’s more because of the lack of available trail partners than anything else.
I definitely would not ask them to stand still in the early days of trail riding. That seems akin to lighting the fuse on a 💣 and waiting for the boom. :lol:
I generally like to keep an active forward march on a loop or ride out then ride home on the same path. Same amount of contact as in the arena, attention on me. It’s not until much later and we’re walking and trotting confidently that I can ask them to stand while I chat briefly with a neighbor.
I have a 19 year old who was just retired from FEI and I’m getting him out of the sandbox too. He’s a bigger chicken than my toddlers and we haven’t made it off property yet, but I was pretty thrilled when he was able to stand and watch the deer running across the field in front of him without tucking tail and spinning (like I said, chicken sh*t) but we’ve been hacking for over a month now. So I would definitely give it time keeping his mind and feet busy before down shifting and taking in the scenery.

4 Likes

I agree that if keeping him moving is what keeps him sane(ish), then keep moving. Either in an active “it’s fine, you can stand or you can work” way, or in a neutral “don’t bottle up the ticking time bomb” way. This is totally horse dependent.

I may have missed it in prior posts, but would this potentially be a horse that would respond to clicker training or treat-
heavy training? I’ve known a couple that burned out on more classical pressure-release style, to the point of belligerence and dangerous reactive behavior, who were somewhat “short-circuited” by switching the focus.

4 Likes

OP, I think it is to your credit that you’ve kept this horse in work for 10 years. He sounds to me, a fairly timid rider & horse person, terrifying.

With a horse new to trails, I always think baby steps. Take him out for 50 yards, pause very briefly (since you’re working on stops), and before he gets restless turn back for home and hop off. Extend the distance as you see signs of increasing relaxation. Be prepared for 2 steps back, so to speak. It can happen. Never mind.

Make a very small goal and don’t be over-invested in making that goal on the first try. He’s used to work that involves a level of perfectionism, and now you are changing this to a more relaxing work routine. He has to adjust his own expectations. Let him know that his job is easier now.

I admit I am completely unsentimental about putting a horse down. My friend the equine vet always says, She is happy to put any horse down at any time for any reason, knowing how many horses are out there suffering in awful conditions and being kept for ‘sentimental’ reasons. A painless death while still well-fed and cared for is far better than the way so many end up.

I almost hesitate to write this though. My long history on this board has shown me that one of the most explosive topics is equine euthanasia.

Good luck to you OP! Hope the trails will be serene for both you asap.

3 Likes

I admit I haven’t read all the replies, but I see your horse is sort of " special needs". He is older and obviously trained well if you competed all these years. I am of the mind that at his age and what you want to do with him now–basic jaunts out on the property to keep him moving-- work with what you have.

It may be the cowards way out but really, what does it accomplish to get him upset to the point of bucking and being agitated? Work slowly on getting him to stand longer but just keep him moving and make rides out pleasurable for both of you when you ride.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Plus, why would anyone buy a horse that the owner terms as dangerous?

1 Like

IMO “ticking time bomb” does not make a good match with “trail riding.” JMO.

2 Likes

Why? He has a 30-acre paddock. Why can’t he be in happy retirement on those 30 acres? Does he have a turnout buddy?

2 Likes

My dressage horse went on his first two real trail rides this year (yay lack of showing). He’s 11.

I did not ask him to stand still one time when I was on him (other than mounting and dismounting of course). Walking forward eases anxiety. He does not have confidence in himself. And I’d much rather have a forward walk than deal with rearing and stress.

If the difference between a pleasant ride on your retired horse and a stressful, frustrating ride for both of you is not standing still while on the trail… it’s an easy answer for me.

And it will probably come with time and experience. If he happily does it in the arena, once trail riding is fun for him he’ll likely do it out there too.

2 Likes

OP doesn’t want to. She probably thinks the horse doesn’t deserve one because she sees it as equipment.

1 Like

It sounds like the horse is unpredictably dangerous to handle. So even as a retirement, he still needs vet and farrier etc. and can’t be trusted not to hurt someone.

1 Like

Look up Warwick Schiller on you tube and the 50 foot trail ride. I know internet doesn’t replace real world trainers but it’s very good. He has a lot of other videos there too.

2 Likes

OP, good for you trying to give your boy a new activity. He is still green in his new job and it will take a while to trust his new environment. I fox hunt a smart, bold OTTB, and there are days when standing is a difficult question to ask, in spite of having 4 seasons under his belt.

Is there a section on your your rides out that you have thoughly explored and he considers a “safe zone”? This is the spot that he is familiar with and pretty relaxed moving through. He starts to get a bit worked up, you can go back to that area and do some work that he finds simple, while still engaging his brain. If he is not worried about lions and tigers there he can tune into you and then maybe give you a quiet halt.

If you are getting relaxed walks around some of your property then you are making progress. Does he do better with asking him to do a bit of work to keep him mentally engaged, as long as you are keeping him forward. While grazing in his pasture he can wander away from “danger”, silly humans want me to stand still and wait for it to come and eat us. Concentrate on building relaxation in your rides, pick your times carefully to ask for standing. Consider it an advanced move that will come fully in time.

Search the Foxhunter forum for “standing at checks”, and I second Warwick Schiller. Good luck, I think he just might enjoy his new job.

2 Likes

Standing still in new places clearly doesn’t work for your horse.

Asking for a flat footed, dead halt is actually a lot of training pressure for some horses. It can lead to a huge explosion. If you don’t give the energy somewhere to go, the next place is UP.

The answer here is to compromise. Meet him halfway and see if you can both agree to walk a small circle instead.

Also, it’s ok to compromise. Some people think they have to win every battle because “they want X, so horse HAS TO do X”. No, the horse doesn’t. You can still compromise and have a perfectly good relationship with your horse. Smart riders find a way forward that everyone can agree on.

7 Likes

A sign of a confident, empathetic rider. Love this!

6 Likes

Agree! I feel like anyone who doesn’t understand this has never had a very strong “personalitied” horse.

My late mare took everything I thought I knew and threw it on its head, and I couldn’t be more grateful to her for it. I didn’t know how to compromise until she came along, and she forced the issue without killing me.

2 Likes

Gawd, no kidding. I have one like this now. Talk about a learning experience–not one that I’d ever give up, but man is it humbling.

1 Like

I think everyone needs a horse like this at some point in their career - they have so much to teach, if we will listen. It took me awhile to start listening, if I’m honest with myself - about 6 months of making no headway. She always gave me the options - do it her way and get the result pleasantly or do it my way and get the result with two big middle fingers. Both got results, but only one sucked. My choice.

2 Likes

It’s funny I think early on when we first are learning to ride we start out being taught that you need to be “the boss” and “in charge” or the “boss mare”… (boss mare one always makes me cringe). When I watch little kids learning to ride or even just handle horses they’re taught to MAKE the horse trot, MAKE the horse lead and not dive for grass, MAKE the horse stop or go or go left or go right.

I think it takes work later on to move away from that mindset and move towards being empathetic instead of being the winner.

1 Like

For sure!! I’m involved with mustangs, and the whole cowboy/testosterone method of ‘moving their feet’/roundpenning getting a halter on their heads and making them listen is rampant. And it always just makes me feel so sorry for the horse. A partnership, a relationship…that is where the win/win is. And doing whatever moves you and your horse to this point, that’s what a horseperson needs to do. Find where that sweetspot is. It’s really a rather ‘otherworldly’ experience to be-there with your equine.

2 Likes