Unlimited access >

Is the trainer always right?

Another vote that you need to have a real discussion with your trainer. Let them talk and listen to what they have to say (and the trainer should do the same).

I don’t know you or your trainer, so I don’t know your riding abilities or the trainer’s.

But one thing that comes to mind is that the TRAINER doesn’t want to be asked to get on babies, and especially not if the owner has inadvertently caused a problem that needs to be sorted out.

So yes, a very frank discussion is needed, on both sides.

[QUOTE=fordtraktor;7506531]
How much experience do you have? What is your riding level? Have you trained horses before? Bought prospects before? How many horses have you previously owned?

No trainer is alway right, but not enough info here to know if this one is correct or not in your situation.[/QUOTE]
I’ve been riding for about 13 years now, and while I’ve never started a baby before, I’ve re-trained many a problem horse. Out of the four horses I’ve had, all have been projects to some extent.

Thank you everyone for the input, I really do appreciate it. I think I need to explain to her that competing isn’t a priority for me right now, which I know she won’t be too happy about. Maybe she doesn’t think I’m up for the challenge of breaking a baby, who knows? Though I get the impression that she doesn’t like the 2 year old more because he’s not of eligible age to compete, and jump, and do things that a made horse could do. However, I’m looking for a horse that I’ll be happy with in the long term, and not just for the next show season or two. I will add that I’ve only been with this trainer for a few months, and that when I talked to my old trainer in my home state, who I’ve been with for maybe 10 years, she encouraged me to take on a young project.

[QUOTE=lalalaura107;7506696]
Thank you everyone for the input, I really do appreciate it. I think I need to explain to her that competing isn’t a priority for me right now, which I know she won’t be too happy about. Maybe she doesn’t think I’m up for the challenge of breaking a baby, who knows? Though I get the impression that she doesn’t like the 2 year old more because he’s not of eligible age to compete, and jump, and do things that a made horse could do. However, I’m looking for a horse that I’ll be happy with in the long term, and not just for the next show season or two. I will add that I’ve only been with this trainer for a few months, and that when I talked to my old trainer in my home state, who I’ve been with for maybe 10 years, she encouraged me to take on a young project.[/QUOTE]

Based on this, I would advise getting a horse a little farther along that you can ride. No telling from on the ground if a 2 year old will turn into the kind of horse you want long term or not.

Why did you ask that particular trainer to help you find a horse if you don’t really trust her/his opinion?

Talk with your trainer first, decide after. What is your budget, what is your goal, what type if horse you prefer. Re-training and bringing up a baby is different. You might end up with something you won’t like.

Of course your old trainer will encourage you to get whatever you’d like. She haven’t seen the horses you are looking at and won’t be the one having to help you with it if things go wrong.

What happen to that young horse with bad feet you were looking to buy for 2500$?

I agree with RockinHorse, the chance of finding long term happiness with an unbroken two year old is much smaller than with a horse that is already under saddle. Honestly, I’ve been around a long time and I can’t–offhand–think of a single ammy who bought an unstarted 2-3 year old and down the road loves it and rides it themself. Not one. But I could tell you a lot of stories about people with decent experience, good intentions, and a good trainer for backup who bought youngsters where it didn’t work out.

Bloodlines and knowing siblings doesn’t tell you all that much. I have seen full siblings be as different as night and day in temperament and ability.

[QUOTE=lalalaura107;7506696]
Thank you everyone for the input, I really do appreciate it. I think I need to explain to her that competing isn’t a priority for me right now, which I know she won’t be too happy about. Maybe she doesn’t think I’m up for the challenge of breaking a baby, who knows? Though I get the impression that she doesn’t like the 2 year old more because he’s not of eligible age to compete, and jump, and do things that a made horse could do. However, I’m looking for a horse that I’ll be happy with in the long term, and not just for the next show season or two. I will add that I’ve only been with this trainer for a few months, and that when I talked to my old trainer in my home state, who I’ve been with for maybe 10 years, she encouraged me to take on a young project.[/QUOTE]

This makes me wonder if this trainer is not the type of trainer who wants clients who take up room but do not show. Have you discussed this? Maybe this trainer is just not interested in dealing with an ammy starting a baby?

I count on my trainer to be more knowledgeable, experienced and have more foresight than me. I am not afraid to explain my point of view (miscommunications can and do happen!) but I trust her judgment implicitly. If she told me not to buy a two year old and explained her reasoning I would not buy a two year old.

If you are fundamentally doubting your trainer’s experience or motives I don’t think it’s a good match. I would find a trainer you trust before embarking on a horse buying quest.

Does your new trainer want to break this horse?
She might not, and there is nothing wrong with that. That could be why she is pointing you towards horses that are suitable for you, and her program.

Are you in a ‘show’ or ‘training’ barn?
If so, this may not be the place for you, if you really want a 2 year old. If trainer X is trying to get you a horse that you can lesson on/show that is what fits into her program.
That is how she makes a living.
Lets say currently you are paying board (which no one makes any $ off of) and taking 2 lessons/week at $50 each, trainer is riding horse 1x/week at $50 and you are showing 1x/month, combining day fees and shipping, lets say trainer makes $300 for a weekend.
Now, you have a 2 year old. Trainer is not riding it, giving you lessons on it, or taking it to horse shows.
Your trainer is now out $900 per month that your horse is stabled in her barn, unbroken, and taking the place of a client who could be generating that $900 you’re not paying her.

Also, re-training ‘problem’ horses is VERY different from breaking/starting a 2 year old.

[QUOTE=alibi_18;7506776]
What happen to that young horse with bad feet you were looking to buy for 2500$?[/QUOTE]

I loved him to death, and I was going to have x-rays done and have my farrier come out to look at him, but before I could even do that, he came up dead lame with a crack that spread all the way up.:frowning:

I’ve been riding for 40 years and wouldn’t consider myself capable of starting a young horse. That’s because I don’t speak young horse nor do I want to. All my horses have been professionally started and it was worth every penny I spent. There is an art to taking an unschooled horse and giving them the confidence they need to go on. Does that mean you shouldn’t do it? No, but don’t expect the first horse you start to be everything you always wanted.

Many trainers don’t and won’t start a green two or three year old. My trainer flat out told me to take my young horse (homebred) to the cowboy trainre to get her broke, and then she would sit on her. I don’t blame my trainer at all. She can’t risk having a bad accident on an unbroke two or three year old.

If you expect your trainer to train you and your horse, you need to have an open and honest conversation with her before you buy the horse. If the two of you aren’t on the same page then you either need to value her opinion or find another trainer.

Putting aside the whole 2 year old breaking and are you capable discussion - because frankly we are all a little barn blind on our true abilities I feel.

By the sounds of it you are looking for your next forever horse… that you aren’t necessarily interested in winning 10 cent ribbons right now, but in it for the long haul. And this is where I think your trainer sees the issues.

Lets say you buy this 2 year old, you invest 2-3 years into this horse (depending on its ability for mental and physical maturity) you now have a significant amount of $$$ into this prospect but also a greater amount of heart value… because this is your next “partner”.

This 2 year old when you buy him may look to be the next h/j perfection - Big Ben, Simon and Hickstead’s love child. But at 4 years old as he matures you see that he’s actually more suitable for trail riding, or perhaps dressage.

Are you prepared to change your discipline of choice because your new life partner isn’t suited? Are you prepared to change your life partner as its not suited for your heart racing discipline.

Buying a 2 year old is just buying a lottery ticket… hoping that as they mature - they will do so in the mold you want them to. But just like a human child… they have their own paths to walk through. And what you pick for them may not be what they pick for themselves (square peg in round hole)

Are you prepared for this? If you are then that needs to be made clear to your coach… If your not, if you can sit on the sidelines for a couple of years and let your partner mature and tell you where they belong and then make a decision - then let your coach know this.

But also know if this goes sideways, your now 2+ years behind where you wanted to be.

I’m not saying buy a 17 year old school master… And I’m in the same boat as you are. My horse is too large for me, do I love him yes, but I bought him as a project to sell. Now we are looking at possibly selling him and what my next mount will be. He was 2 when I bought him to flip. Now I’m not looking for a 2 year old any longer, but I’m also not looking for a almost done school master. I see that 5-7 year old is a good compromise… settled in some good ways, but also still young enough for me to give somewhat of a challenge.

But I figure by at least that age (5-7 years) we riders, coaches, owners should be able to see where that horses likely future is leading them.

Good luck but a sit down with your coach should be a good idea. And if you feel you can’t sit down with her, then that there should be the reason why your looking for a new trainer/coach.

As someone who has been there and bought a two-year-old, I highly suggest looking at green 3 and 4 year olds. There’s a shocking number of unbroke horses at that age you could take on where you’d have a better idea of what they’re going to be like (they can change a lot between 2 and 4). What age are the horses your trainer is having you look at?

I adore my filly, and if I could go back in time I’d have bought her sooner, but my situation is very rare. A lot of people experience heartache with prospects who end up losing them a ton of money and being unable to do much in the discipline of choice.

Keep in mind that if you also subscribe to the rule of “no saddle time until three” you’re going to be paying a lot of money in board before you get on that horse’s back, and even then it will be a year of very basic riding before much fun can be had. Just something to consider if your reasons for going for a two-year-old are strictly financial. :slight_smile:

In the end, it’s your choice. It’s very rewarding and a lot of fun, but definitely talk to your trainer before you jump the gun. Get an honest answer out of him/her about why s/he does not want the same horse as you do.

[QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;7506324]
There are two kinds of trainers. Those who listen to what the client wants to do, and agrees to help them get there; and those who ignore the client’s wishes and instead (in their infinite egomania) assume the client really wants to be a clone of themselves!

Either way, the trainer is YOUR hired hand–not a person you “need to please.” Other way 'round thar, Pilgrim! :lol: So if this trainer is not taking you where you want to go, and is not helping you find the horse you want, for heaven’s sake dump her and find someone who WILL listen to you and find you the horse you’ll buy.

I had a situation like this once horse-shopping with my aunt; every horse she liked I hated, and vice-versa. Turns out we were looking for diametrically opposite things! Just like you and the horse, you and the trainer have GOT to be a fit or you’ll just make each other miserable all around.

Remember, it’s YOUR nickel! :winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

I agree with Lady E. If you have good reason to want a QH and it’s suited to whatever aspirations you have under saddle then you trainer should be focused on finding you a good QH.

If I were you I’d research good QH conformation and other physical attributes then find someone who knows Quarter Horses inside out to find your perfect partner.

When you said the trainer is pushing you toward horses that are out of your budget, that signals a red flag to me. Can’t help but wonder whether she has commission as her first priority.

As Lady E said it’s your money, it’ll be your horse and you are the client in this relationship. If you feel like tyou are not receiving a good service, look for someone better.

BTW, my friend has two awesome little QHs.Both seniors and both in great shape. They can trail ride forever and still have a tonnee of life in them.