Unlimited access >

ISO horse ads on FB

I saw one recently that had a list of basically… exactly what every ammy and lesson program wants. Future event partner, jumping already, sane, etc. Budget? $1000. A few people very kindly said that it’s a hard ask at that price and suggested a vet check - OP was quite snarky with “I’ve already got a bunch of options sent to me!!!”.

I don’t think it’s impossible to find something that cheap - but I do wonder about the soundness of horses people unload for $1k through FB (and not to their friends or local network).

2 Likes

LOL, I think it was through some older horse forum, but I contacted someone about a saddle that was like $1,000, and without even asking, she was like “you know what, I just want it gone, how about $350?” Umm, OK!

4 Likes

As an update. I found a new home for appy gelding. He leaves next Tuesday. Nice gal about 40 minutes away. I did my due diligence and grilled her about her horse experience and called her vet to make sure she’s actually a client and asked if there were any concerns about her animals. I posted him on FB and got about 95 people wanting to come see him. I had to turn off commenting, it was getting too overwhelming.

Now have to find a home for Spud and Odin.

5 Likes

I’m always tempted to reply something like “if you find any, I’ll take 3!”

4 Likes

:rofl: I would have asked if she missed a zero.

And then said, “well enjoy your lame camel then…”

4 Likes

I actually have this horse with a more dressage-focused training background for sale for $10K. I’ve had a jumper rider up on her the last few weeks and she thinks with a few months of training and a few shows under her girth we can triple the price (and it’s an appendix QH mare, not a WB).

1 Like

My filly’s dam is a QH, with a small dollop of TB from her sire who was an appendix, and she rocked XC. I love the cross and am repeating so I certainly won’t dis a QH for sport.

But tripling? Sigh. Not sure where you are but around here, I would be surprised. What gets me is people are PAYING it.

Yeah, I dunno. That is just what she said after she crushed a 3’3" oxer this morning (I’ve never jumped her past 2’3" because I’m chicken). I’ve been on the AQHA hunter jumper FB group and it seems like $20K might be in the ballpark if she did some recognized shows. She hates water, so I don’t see eventing in her future. :smiley:

1 Like

WOW! Any chance you’re near NW Wash because yeah… I need someone to crush shit around here too (also a chicken).

1 Like

We’re in Boise. There is something to be said for fearless 19 year old crash dummies!

Ohh hey I messaged you!

2 Likes

Yesssss! Love a good appendix.

2 Likes

I had a great appendix mare that was given to me. She absolutely crushed it on xc. We’d be DFL after dressage and then shoot up the placings to ribbon territory after xc. Stop was not in her vocabulary.

2 Likes

I love my QH gelding. I could sell him tomorrow and at least double what I paid last September. But he is not for sale.
Sheilah

2 Likes

I think ISO ads are quite entertaining. What I find funny is some of their criteria are horses that are already listed somewhere but these people are not doing the work and searching for them. And on the other spectrum, the for sale ads… some are so annoying like: My Loss Your Gain; For sale due to no fault of his/her own; 15 hands and still growing; Putting out feelers? You are either selling or you are not; started slowly to allow time to grow; meaning (I did not start horse when I should have) hence he is now 10 and not started; Black when clearly horse has brown flanks and brown nose; He is sitting in the field but deserves better; needs work to bring out full potential; yeah me too!; and one of my favourites - in your pocket, puppy dog personality- I don’t want my horse in my pockets nor jumping at me like a dog- I have a dog for that!

3 Likes

Another aggravation is the sale ad when the owner really isnt going to sell! Happened to a friend of mine. She liked the horse, had an okay PPE then the owners says lets do a month lease for suitability. She agrees. This is a green horse a couple of states away. Then horse cant come for a number of reasons and owner starts changing the terms. Now it is a lease, but no price or sale guarantee in the contract. When she added in the stipulation that the horse had to return to her (and she wouldnt pay anything) if she ever didnt keep it and still wouldnt put the price in writing, my friend pulled the plug.