Unlimited access >

Jello for horses

I fed straight gelatin to my horse for about a year when he had bad feet. I saw no difference in his health. If your gelding isn’t finishing his grain, the jello may be worth a try.

1 Like

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, report back!!

My mare would leave some of her grain and supplements, but I started giving her 2 oz of hempseed oil and now she gobbles everything down (and seems extra shiny this winter too).

1 Like

Cinnamon, and fenugreek, can both work for sugar free flavorings. My pony prefers cinnamon but will eat fenugreek too!

4 Likes

absolutely worth trying. It’s not the cheapest thing, but it’s worth it

1 Like

The problem is there are endless, pricey, “can’t hurt, might help” supplements and additives to try and I’m bleeding myself dry kissing frogs. :frog: But this is different than many I have used, so maybe?

4 Likes

lol absolutely! At least this one has been around and proven its usefulness in situations like this. I can’t say I’ve heard of it used for a situation like you have BUT, adaptogens are adaptogens and this probably has a better chance than most as helping.

Have you tried any B12 injections?

1 Like

I feel you. I have to bolus our pony with her Prescend every morning. At least i don’t need to halter her anymore. She’s eating her grain again, now that she knows I’m not trying to sneak that nasty pill into it. It must taste horrible.

3 Likes

I hid the pill in half a madjool date and my retiree ate it right up. Of course, he did actually get cinnamon as well…

1 Like

My gelding wouldn’t take any kind of medicine in food. I always put his Prascend in an oral syringe, sucked up water, shook it and squirted it down. It was the only way I was comfortable that he was getting it.

3 Likes

I tried cinnamon after reading this article. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6425402/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20most%20discussed,glucose%20level%20stable%20[8].

Plus it’s something I already had in the kitchen, so seemed like a no brainer to test it.

Wouldn’t it take quite a quantity to improve top line in an older horse?