Unlimited access >

Jingles for Evil Burrito: 10 years later, gimpy but good!

Jingles for Odie! It sounds like he’s getting the best care and attention and that despite a crap diagnosis, the prognosis is good. What a lucky fellow to have you guys taking such great care… He’ll be back to playing with Rory in no time!

TONS of jingles for Odie!!!

Aw poor little man! Big jingles for Odie and Rory and you!

P.

Jingles for you guys!!!

There were three mini donks at the last barn I was at. TOUGH little critters!

They are tough little critters. Don’t underestimate them. Jingling for the evil burrito.

Long story, but my mini donk got hit by a car, tossed through the air, and came out unfazed, mostly. I wasn’t living in the area at the time, but the bystander accounts were pretty incredible.

Well crap, Jenners. Not what I expected to read on this update. Mad jingles for all of the critters and TheJenners too!

As for feeding him, Mo is a bit bigger than he is and she gets 4-5# total of Timothy or other stem my grass hay a day. No alfalfa as she’s fat enough.

I must have made the worst facial expression when I read the updated title because my coworkers thought someone in my family had died :no:

We should design an Evil Burrito t-shirt and wear them for good vibes. If everyone thinks it’s a good idea, I can try putting someting together.

Jingling madly from Kentucky!

I knew a therapy horse who had a similar injury and after a few months of stall rest and casts, she was completely fine. She continued to work for another decade and only retired when she started to get sour and needed a change of scenery.

Jingles! It sounds positive, but I know it doesn’t exactly feel that way right now. Hang in there!

Adding more KY jingles to the pile!

Odie is tough though and he has the best parents, so I’m sure he’ll be just fine! :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry! Sending healing vibes and jingles for Odie and his family. Donkey’s are tough critters. I have to keep Hank confined for most of every day because if I don’t he has laminitis flare ups. (Donkeys aren’t made for the lush grass we’ve been getting in the South East) I give him one flake of hay in the morning and a handful of what ever the other horses are eating…currently TC senior. The hay lasts him all day. He gets another handful of feed PM and a little bit of hay to last him til morning…he stays fat.

I’m so sorry. You never think anything like that could happen to those tough little donkeys. I always tell everyone that Vinny is my only maintenance-free pet. Vinny says, “hang in there, Odie!”

Buy some soft ride boots!

As long as it is not a compound fracture, and “just” a crack in the bone, prognosis is good. Casts are great. As long as they don’t rub! (My mare just had a cast on her hoof and ankle for 3 weeks, due to snake bite and cellulitis, and she didn’t get a rub until day # 21 when vet cane out hours later to remove the cast. so she was sound on her cast for 20 days straight.)

You should buy the soft ride boots for your donkey. They help keep the weight change to the other hoof from causing laminitis in the other hoof.
Call the people at soft-ride.com and ask for advice. They are great!

Hope all goes well and that the only thing you have to worry about is arthritis when the donkey gets older.

Poor Odie! I hope his recovery goes well. Definitely try not to over feed as it can be easy with the little ones. Could his pellets go in a toy of some sort to keep him busy? Unless it makes him move around too much? You could just use a plastic jug with pellets in it to nose around or there are all types of stall toys. Long as the vet thinks it is okay, and not too much moving around.

Get well, Odie!

Jingle jingle jingle for Odie. Thinking good thoughts for his naughty self.

Thanks everyone!! :sadsmile: My poor Odie.

He’s only getting a double handful, I doubt it’s 100 pellets total. And really it’s just because I worry about ulcers and colic and everything else. And he wasn’t eating their hay very much, just sorta dragging it around. Didn’t help that he pulled it over to where he wanted to stand, then peed and the pee ran under the hay. DH’s BO doesn’t like bedding, so there wasn’t any, but he’s bedded in pelleted bedding now which will be easier to clean. And we got a tub for his hay to go in.

I going to run to my barn today and get his ball, I don’t think he’s up for running around with it but it might give him something to chew on.

Also, I present to you all the most pitiful Evil Burrito picture ever.

He was waking up from getting his cast put on, and had the saddest little Eeyore face ever.

Poor little pouty boy! Good luck with him - he’s such a cutie!

StG

oh the poor little guy (and you too - it must be so stressful)! I hope he gets better quick.