Unlimited access >

Jogging on a loose rein at the end of the round - how does this work?

I saw this new rule in action at Brandywine/Junior Hunter Finals this year. It really saved time given there were almost 250+ rounds per ring some days.
In the handy, the riders would do their “handy” transition to walk near gate, then pick the trot back up on a loose rein and circle, which seems odd at first but it works.
Regarding masking lameness, saw this happen too. A jr hunter did their round and halfhearted soundness circle, received “no score.” (Shame on the trainer) they came right back for their next round, circled the other way and posted on other diagonal. The horse looked fine this direction, but the judge asked them to circle other direction, it looked off, and again, no score.

2 Likes

At TBird this year they actually cancelled all the jobs due to covid ….they didn’t want us all that close to each other and milling around at the ingate ! (I have to admit I did not miss the jog ….I despise it hahahahhaha) They also didn’t make us trot at the beginning or end of our rounds either….which I was very surprised at!