Unlimited access >

Jump Rails

I have also found pressure treated, 4" diameter round poles in 10 and 12’ lengths at local farm and garden stores (not at the big boxes). Quality varies (some are more warped than others) so you have to pick through what is in the pile, but I was able to buy enough decent quality that needed no further trimming.

Agrisupply also carries round poles for fence that are 10’long but they are telephone pole like.

[QUOTE=Addison;8080992]
East Coast Jumps in Quarryville, PA is a good place to get rails. You can get them unfinished or pre painted. They are made from solid heart pine and hold up very well.[/QUOTE]

Quarryville PA is 235 miles away from us, so not a good option considering the cost of delivery from that distance. :eek:

I talked to the BO and I think she is going to buy 10’ 4x4’s and get her husband to cut them so we end up with octagon poles. She does western trail with her horse so she liked the idea that the poles would not roll as easily.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Is it necessary to BUY them? I do not know your area, obviously, but cheap jump rails are easily obtained if you have access to crown land, or pasture land with some trees and permission from the owner. Poplar are my favourate, they are white skinned and smooth around here. And straight, if you are a bit selective, and own a chain saw and a truck to bring them home with. Cut them any length you like. They are heavy when they are first cut and green, but dry out in a few years and get lighter. The white bark will shed off eventually, but naked, they will last many years, and are very decorative especially as hunter rails. They can be painted after the bark is gone, if you want something other than the natural look. If they break (eventually, if a horse crashes into/onto them), you toss them onto a burn pile and go get some more. They don’t roll either, when on the ground, because they are not “absolutely” straight, like milled ones. Just a thought for you!

[QUOTE=Addison;8080992]
East Coast Jumps in Quarryville, PA is a good place to get rails. You can get them unfinished or pre painted. They are made from solid heart pine and hold up very well.[/QUOTE]

$28 for a jump rail and $45 for a plank! Ouch! You can imagine what there other prices look like.

we buy treated 4x4 posts and plane the edges off to get jump poles that last forever