Unlimited access >

Keeping Laminitic Horse Comfortable

[QUOTE=HappyTalk;8771529]
My horse hated the Soft Rides. He removed them within 30 minutes every time I tried to use them. I used the insulation that Bluey mentioned to make hoof support pads.He was comfortable enough in these to be able to be hand walked for short periods of time. He recovered with a 5 degree rotation in one foot. Here is a video that shows how to make them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzUeYjYe5yE[/QUOTE]

The kind of styrofoam pad I had in mind was half that thickness and lasted about three days before deforming or coming off, so a new one was taped on then.

That video was a little bit different.

Best is to work with a vet and farrier that do that all the time.

Horsepoor, She pulled the straps open. We did borrow them, but they are actually the size she measured for, so they do fit well. Yesterday I put duct tape over the straps and she still got them open. Farrier is coming tomorrow, so will see what he thinks…

Ladipus, thanks for the input! They haven’t done bloodwork yet. Their biggest focus was getting her comfortable and getting weight off for now, but will be pulling blood soon. They will also test her for Cushing’s. Glad to hear your horse has recovered so well! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Bluey;8772389]
The kind of styrofoam pad I had in mind was half that thickness and lasted about three days before deforming or coming off, so a new one was taped on then.

That video was a little bit different.

Best is to work with a vet and farrier that do that all the time.[/QUOTE]

We’ve done the styrofoam before, although we didn’t have much luck getting it to stay on. This was with a different horse. I will definitely check out the video.

Our farrier is amazing and I really think he saved one of our horse’s lives when she foundered severely. The vet thought there was no way she would make it, but farrier got her comfortable and while she is doing fantastically now! (This was several years ago.)