Unlimited access >

Kentucky Three Day Event 2024

I’ve found Kentucky shopping to be much much better. The really good sales are thurs/fri but you can still find some deals on the weekends. Thurs we show up first thing with backpacks to shop and get all of the free swag being handed out.

On that note, I am always shopping thursday/friday, so that my sway my opinion. I could understand if you where shopping XC day or SJ day.

On Thursday and Friday I have time to browse and gather samples. I usually try to see everything before I make decisions if I feel like I need to see other options. And if its something not on my list, I’ll wait sometimes and make the decision Sunday (like unplanned bigger purchases, last year it was open from boots, but I decided against it).

The shopping is incredible at KY. Go Thursday early for the best selection and special deals then again Sunday before showjumping as sellers are usually liquidating things at crazy prices.

5 Likes

Agreed on this - Kentucky has some great shopping. Thursday and Friday usually are the best days (Thursday especially) before everything has been totally picked over, but there’s so much to look through and choose from. I can’t speak to how it compares to Maryland since I haven’t gone to Maryland yet, but definitely plan to carve some time out on the earlier days if you really want the full experience.

IMO the shopping at Kentucky is better, but the shopping at Maryland is still very good. It’s really new in comparison, so it’s not fair to expect it to be on par with a hugely established event. Maryland has Fair Hill Saddlery (booth and actual store like a mile down the road) which is one of my FAVES. It’s gotten much better every single year since becoming a 5*.

Overall Kentucky has a good bit more. I haven’t seen many amazing sales/deals in the past few years, but they have SO MUCH STUFF to look at/try on. If I have something specific on my list or I want official merch, I do it at 8am on Thursday before the masses arrive.

4 Likes

Excited to be grooming again! Also excited for the massive buckets of Mars candy bars they supply that will make up about 60% of my diet for the weekend :joy: thank you Ms. Mars for your continued support of the sport!

19 Likes

I’m going again, this year with my mom. It’s our third time going together. Where are people looking for Friday course walks? I’d like to get us in to one for either the 4 or 5 star on Friday afternoon. Last year I went alone and didn’t bother - last time I tried to find an organized course walk was in 2018.

This is my fifth time, and I’m really looking forward to it. (2015, 2018, 2022, 2023).

1 Like

I went for the first time in 1991, back when jumping was on grass, there was a 3*, and an Advanced HT. I went almost every year until 2018. But I’m back, baby!

2 Likes

Back again this year for the first time in about five years. Dragging husband along, we are area (sector) stewards XC day, and as he has a new horse looking forward to shopping on Friday!

2 Likes

Some you will find on riders’ or sponsors’ social media, but a lot will get announced or posted in the indoor arena where all the vendors are. Nothing will get set until everyone has their dressage times though, so a lot of it crops up last minute, other than the gigantic ones like the SmartPak one.

1 Like

Boyd plans to withdraw Thomas after dressage and save him for Badminton. That’s the plan anyway.

Re: 5*/4* entries - Yeah, there’s the Olympics. There is also Maryland. Having Maryland available at the end of the season creates an interesting dynamic.

11 Likes

I like Boyd but if that is the plan, I think that is bad for the sport of eventing. Essentially the event is being promoted with horse/rider combinations being listed. The order of go is even listed.

As of today there are only 42 entries for the Kentucky 5*. There are five pairs that are cross-entered between KY and Badminton that are still listed in both. Chances are by the competition there will be less than 40 entries in KY (Badminton always has a wait list).

I thought about going out just to watch XC as I haven’t been in 20 years. But for 40 or less entries, it’s not worth it. I don’t care that they run a 4* also, I can drive an hour to Lexington VA to watch that.

I think riders need to be more honest and upfront about their plans.

7 Likes

I find this pretty darn disappointing as well.

2 Likes

Where is there a 4* in Lexington, VA?

He posted a video to his social medias - fully transparent. It’s not an uncommon strategy to withdraw after dressage. It gives them exposure in a large environment but saves their legs for a different day.

There’s a lot to unpack for the pair specifically. A few things to consider.

• Thomas has had mixed success at Kentucky, and the course doesn’t suit him well. It’s the only course he’s fallen at. Cue runs much better at the venue.

• He’s known to lose his focus in big crowds, that’s part of the reason why he struggles so much in Stadium. If you recall his Olympic test, it was a tough day for him. Badminton historically draws the largest crowds, so it makes sense to have a practice run.

• He’s 17. Their partnership is inevitably coming to an end. Boyd has never completed Badminton. The pair has never attempted it. Why wouldn’t they give it a go? This is the perfect time in their partnership to enter.

There are so many factors to consider when managing UL event horses. It gets even trickier when it’s an Olympic year. Many riders don’t want to put the miles on at the 5* and the 4* is (IMO) just as much a technical test as the 5*. The 4* preps many of the greener pairs for Maryland. The 4* is a less taxing first event of the year for the more seasoned pairs. For anyone coming from the west coast, considering their horses aren’t as familiar with the footing, they might think the 4* is the safer option until they can have some more grass runs under their belt this season. It’s so program and roster specific. The addition of the 4*S, the Maryland event, and considering the loss of other FEI events (for example: GMI, which I believe you’re referencing), the whole trajectory has changed. It’s a good learning discussion for anyone who isn’t as familiar with mapping out an FEI season.

33 Likes

I have to admit, I didn’t watch the video Boyd posted so thank you for giving us the summary. This all makes perfect sense.

I love Thomas. And did not know this so would love to see him compete and do well at Badminton. I have a Tsetserleg hat from a previous KY event where his owner was handing them out to folks by the Bruce Davidson statue.

3 Likes

I think the next five years will be super interesting just in how things play out with having two five star events in the US. There are still a number of riders in North America that haven’t made it to Maryland yet. Everyone expected it to be the end-of-season gimme event and that has not been the case (there are some notoriously difficult questions and the hills really tire them out). I can totally understand why people would enter a horse in 3/4*'s for most of the season and then finish the season with a 5*, which Maryland offers. Maryland is a great event and I hope it stays that way without diminishing everyone’s enthusiasm about Kentucky which has been so loved for so long. I hope riders/owners continue to support both.

The split between the 4 and 5* at Kentucky this year has more to do with Olympic qualifications and preparation than anything else. But it does make for an interesting competition when we would expect many of the horses in the 4* to run in the 5*.

5 Likes

I think everyone gets the WHY he is doing it. I think it is a bad look for what is the premier 3-day in the US. I get entering a 4* doing dressage and then WDing but treating Kentucky as “practice” kind of disses the event. Just my opinion. In the realm of things that are killing eventing, this one is on the list but way down the list.

I think there should be a rule to disallow doing the concurrent entries like this.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with your broader point (though mostly because as a fan it is nice to go to a “big one” and know that this is the target for all competitors and this is the day they go all-out - I have less of a concern about “dissing” an event. Also worth noting that while this is just a “nice to have” now, if the sport is ever going to seriously become involved in betting - which seems to be behind most substantial fan engagement these days - this would be critical to sort out).

That said, concurrent entries can in some cases be more genuine in their intention. For instance, if he has a good faith plan to start Tsetserleg and aim for a competitive result, but has a silly drive-by at an early cross-country combination (which has happened with this horse before), or the horse steps on a rock on the way to dressage, or his wife is giving birth at his start time, or whatever else life likes to throw at people, a concurrent entry presents the possibility of re-routing to Badminton. It’s unusual given the ocean between the two, but not a possibility I’d like to see the rules eliminate entirely.

I do think it’s up for debate as to whether or not an entry with an intention to withdraw is even a problem for most people. If he uses Kentucky to prep the horse’s five star test in a high-pressure atmosphere, then puts him on a plane and goes and wins Badminton, I’d be shocked if most Americans came down on the side of “he shouldn’t have done that”. It’s something I’d be interested to know.

2 Likes

This seems like it would just kill eventing faster, IMO. I’m sure the events would rather have the entry and stabling fees even if someone plans to scratch instead of getting nothing. With the people who genuinely plan to finish and then reroute for injury or an error, the dual-entry ensures a more exciting field at the next event. Having the backup also takes away some of the pressure to push a horse to the finish and makes it easier for riders and owners to put the horse’s welfare above sticking to their Plan A.

The goal for the sport should always be more entries, not less. The US just doesn’t have a huge field of five star pairs right now to support a huge entry list. The pipeline is the problem, not one or two scratches of people already at the top.

15 Likes