Unlimited access >

Kidney donation and riding

I am considering donating a kidney. However, I have read that kidney donation can inhibit participation in high-impact sports. Of course, riding isn’t usually high impact, but there’s always the risk of falls.

Has anyone here donated a kidney? Were you able to return to riding? How long did it take?

There was actually another thread about this very recently. Kidney health

1 Like

Thank you for even considering this monumental favor.

6 Likes

I haven’t donated one, but I did have a kidney removed due to illness when I was 16. My nephrologist told me that while he shouldn’t technically recommend that I continue riding, as long as I don’t happen to puncture my remaining kidney in a fall I should be okay.

It took until this year for me to start wearing a safety vest while I ride (oops), but otherwise it hasn’t impacted my riding at all, save for perpetually leaning over the side where a kidney no longer exists :joy:

Major props to you for considering donation!

1 Like

Had an issue with one that had to be removed 2 years ago. Recovery sucked (you’ll spend 2-5 days in hospital and then need help at home for a few days), but I was back on a horse at 8 weeks. Low jumps, dressage, general ammy flapping and flopping and jiggling are not a problem. Long term, scar tissue / adhesions around my ribs aren’t fun but aren’t common. Mostly I miss taking ibuprofen and other NSAIDs bc I’m a middle aged horse lady.

2 Likes

I am one of the ones who has damaged a kidney while riding! Simple off the left shoulder when my horse stopped at a jump in slow motion. I rolled off and landed on my left side. I was wearing my Airowear Outlyne vest, side zip breeches and a belt buckled on my left side. Somehow, I lacerated my left kidney when I landed-- we are guessing it was smooshed between the end of my vest and the belt buckle. It was AWFUL-- I’ve never ever hurt that bad. 5 day stay in the hospital, stent placement, fentanyl for the pain. Ugh. My doctors never said a word about me not riding again, though.

I’m a kidney donor. I gave a kidney to my sister 40+ years ago (I’m sure the surgery has improved since then!). I have continued to ride. Low level eventing, jumpers and now dressage. I do have kidney disease but I am older & have other health issues that contribute to CKD. Donating a kidney was one of the greatest experiences in my life. Does surgery & recovery suck? Sure. But how often does anyone get to do something that rewarding for someone they care about? Ultimately donation is a personal choice, but for me, the right one.

6 Likes

I rode in a month after donation, lightly, and normal (Adult hunters) in 6 weeks. My donation was laparoscopic and I only spent two nights in the hospital. Never needed more than Tylenol. I was quite fortunate as able to return to work in 2 weeks.

1 Like

I donated almost 30 years ago, before laproscopy. I was not riding at the time but took it back up about ten years later. Zero issues.

Oh. My. Word. Until you posted this, I had no idea NSAIDs were off the table for kidney donors. I just Googled it and you’re absolutely right. Wow, I really don’t know that I can live without Advil. I struggle chronically with headaches (I have been to a neurologist, but their recommendations haven’t been the right solutions).

Not a donor myself. My old trainer found out late in life he only had one kidney. In hindsight, it explained why he came through a nasty kick with few problems. The horse hit him in the back where the missing kidney should have been. Since it wasn’t there, it wasn’t damaged.

He didn’t have any problems that came from riding, but eventually passed away from kidney failure related to congestive heart failure. His heart was terrible for years and the meds eventually took out the one kidney he had.

For Momateur - [quote=“Momateur, post:11, topic:766846, full:true”]
Oh. My. Word. Until you posted this, I had no idea NSAIDs were off the table for kidney donors. I just Googled it and you’re absolutely right. Wow, I really don’t know that I can live without Advil. I struggle chronically with headaches (I have been to a neurologist, but their recommendations haven’t been the right solutions).
[/quote]

Keep trying options, or find a new neurologist - one kidney or two, you shouldn’t have to just deal with headaches. I am a regular user of heat or ice for simpler issues, Rx for migraines, and Tylenol for minor aches. I can judiciously take ibuprofen or naproxen…but honestly I just don’t.

Other things to note is you’ll need to see a nephrologist twice a year and get blood and urine tests to go with that visit for 3-5 years before you graduate to annual visits. May also get annual kidney ultrasounds. As far as lifestyle, beyond the NSAIDs, limit red meat, overall protein levels, and alcohol intake, and drink lots of water.

I donated 7 years ago when I was 30. I didn’t start riding until a few months after the donation, but had a physical job at the time and it took me 6 weeks until I was strong enough to work out and start running again. I was back at work at 8 weeks.

It was actually a catalyst to looking deeper into things that made me happy, and that in turn is what lead me to decide to start taking lessons. My family doctor isn’t crazy about it but it is what it is. It keeps me fit, healthy and happy.

1 Like