Unlimited access >

Kitten weaning help needed

I have a 3 year old that was a bottle fed feral orphan who still will NOT eat wet food. I tried everything to wean her onto the smelly slurpy goodness but she wants nothing to do with it.

Bacon was her first solid food she would touch, and then quickly onto hard kibble.

I think so two. I have two very typy torties but they are the wrong color. If the Maew Boran had taken off this wouldn’t be a problem, but when the people in the US were trying to recruit breeders people were saying yes we want to breed these but in fact they were just wanting the imported cats for the Burmese outcross program and once they got a cat they were never heard from again.

So now we are stuck getting the colors in one breed at a time and creating a breed group like the bombay/burmese breed group. This is further hampered by the Tamra Maew an ancient book of Thai cat poems that describes 17 different colors of cats. The host registry for the Thai breeds TIMBA only recognizes the 17 lucky cats in the poems. Since the red gene did not exist in the Thailand at the time the poems were written the torties are not mentioned. Maew Boran would have still accepted the color so long as recent Thai heritage could be proven. But their will never be a breed created for the tortie Thai cats. Since some of these colors are very rare it will take a long time to develop enough breeders for each breed to be accepted. Suphalaks are so rare there are only 2 breeders in the US and 2 in Thailand. One of the colors, a very neat cat black cat with 4 white paws, a white bib and a white strip down it’s back was thought to just be a fanciful drawing in the poem book or maybe it was extinct but recently 4 specimens have been found in Thailand. It will take decades to get enough to have fully accepted status.

I’m fairly new to Khao Manee and Suphalak breeding so I don’t have much voice in the group but I really think we need to merge the Khao Manee back into the Maew Boran and have a Thai breed with color divisions and classes. That will be the best way to preserve the wonderful variety of colors of the Thai cat.

Off soapbox now.