Unlimited access >

Knee Pain and Stirrups

I have bad knees from years of sports and a missing ACL in one of them. I find that the MDC Comfort stirrups are miracle workers for my knees. I hate the flexi-stirrups like the ultimate (just don’t feel right to me) but the forward facing Comforts are perfect. I went from my knees giving out when I dismounted after 30 minutes (literally ended up as a heap on the ground on more than one occasion when my knees wouldn’t hold) to being able ride for hours again. I know they’re expensive and I borrowed my first set for a month but now they’re all I ride in.

5 Likes

The 90 degree forward was another improvement! I did a lot of posting and two point tonight and only had slight twinge of knee pain at the canter and that was caused by position error.

3 Likes

I ordered MDCs and wide stirrup leathers today. I’m so excited to get them and hopefully have them make a difference for me. Thank’s everyone for the suggestions. I’ll update again once they get here and I ride in them.

3 Likes

Update: I’ve had the MDCs stirrups and wide stirrup leathers for almost a month, it has made a huge different in my joint pain and my legs feel more stable overall. I’m really happy that I decided to take the plunge.

2 Likes

100% Borrow from barn mates/trainers because every person is unique. I also have Ehler’s but on the mild side , my elbows and joints are super lax and do bend backwards, to a point my ACLs were torn and I didnt realize until one day it sorta gave out on me and i told my friend and he did a drawer test on me (subsequent MRI to confirm). I’m lucky that i do not have ankle or knee pain, so i’ve been enjoying the good old Fillis. As i’m older now, I wanted more safety feature and tried many different kinds, none cause pain, but none were “magic”. I picked the avacallo alupro, and I’m super happy with them.