Knee Replacement

I had mine replaced last year, at the end of August. It wasn’t all that painful but it does take time to heal, so plan on giving that to yourself. Take as much time as you need and don’t let anyone make you feel bad. Everybody heals differently.

My Doctor had the Bone Smart mantra mentality. He told me to never let the PT person hurt me in anyway. I didn’t and made sure my PT person fully understood that. In fact, I only went to PT for a month ,but from what I gather mine was not the norm.

I drove my car at 10 days( that was a bit interesting) , hopped on my horse @6 weeks and was taking full care of my 6 horses 10 weeks later. Again, I listened to what Eunice( my name for my new knee) was telling me. If she kicked up a fuss then I stopped, sat down and iced.

I will tell you one thing. Do take your pain meds as instructed and do take them for as long as you might need them. My doctor figured if you weren’t in a lot of pain then your rehab would go so much faster and he was right!

Good luck and you’ll be just fine.

[QUOTE=susie09;7657569]
I’m 5 months out with my left knee and Bonesmart has been a great resource for me too. One thing I’ve noticed is that those of us who have done 1 knee think that those who do both at once are really brave, but the ones who do both think we’re the truly brave ones because we know what’s ahead and are going back for more. Some of the damage to my left knee was from injury so I hoped that I’d never need to deal with the right one. Unfortunately, the stress of being the “good” knee for the past year and a half has taken it’s toll. Now it’s just a question of when, not if.

Grimeskaren, I hope your surgery went well. Chemteach, TrueColours and goodhors - don’t be scared. Yes, recovery can be challenging but it is doable. To me the key things have been taking the pain meds that you need for as long as you need them (you will not get addicted), icing ( I don’t have a machine so I just use refreezable gel packs) constantly. If I was resting, I had an ice pack on so probably 20 hours a day those first 3-4 weeks. And accept that you can’t push this recovery - there is nothing you can do that will make your knee heal faster but you can slow recovery down. That was the hardest for me. I live with my sister who is in a wheelchair. The day after I got home, a light bulb in a ceiling fixture burned out. I learned that climbing a step ladder is really no different than doing stairs - going up, lead with the non-surgical leg; coming down, the surgical one. Not that I recommend trying it but it was good for me because I saw that I was still capable.[/QUOTE]

Being post surgical, I can say to the those that are facing it, YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY! My pain decreases everyday and knowing its going on a positive direction makes me want to do backflips! ( IF I COULD LOL) I was very depressed, grumpy, became overweight. Now im on a brighter path. Reading all the “post surgery” comments, I was like “yeah right” 5 days out im very functional with my walker and use a pair of reins for my stretching exercises, and to hoist the leg up on to the bed , couch whatever.
I would be out with the nags in the barn but infection is a worry. I see myself puttering around after the staples are out. I take pain meds before I get too painful as per advice of my surgeon and PT.
Addiction is a worry but as the pain lessens, so will my doses hence tapering off until no mas pain.

[QUOTE=susie09;7657569]
I’m 5 months out with my left knee and Bonesmart has been a great resource for me too. One thing I’ve noticed is that those of us who have done 1 knee think that those who do both at once are really brave, but the ones who do both think we’re the truly brave ones because we know what’s ahead and are going back for more. Some of the damage to my left knee was from injury so I hoped that I’d never need to deal with the right one. Unfortunately, the stress of being the “good” knee for the past year and a half has taken it’s toll. Now it’s just a question of when, not if.

Grimeskaren, I hope your surgery went well. Chemteach, TrueColours and goodhors - don’t be scared. Yes, recovery can be challenging but it is doable. To me the key things have been taking the pain meds that you need for as long as you need them (you will not get addicted), icing ( I don’t have a machine so I just use refreezable gel packs) constantly. If I was resting, I had an ice pack on so probably 20 hours a day those first 3-4 weeks. And accept that you can’t push this recovery - there is nothing you can do that will make your knee heal faster but you can slow recovery down. That was the hardest for me. I live with my sister who is in a wheelchair. The day after I got home, a light bulb in a ceiling fixture burned out. I learned that climbing a step ladder is really no different than doing stairs - going up, lead with the non-surgical leg; coming down, the surgical one. Not that I recommend trying it but it was good for me because I saw that I was still capable.[/QUOTE]

Being post surgical, I can say to the those that are facing it, YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY! My pain decreases everyday and knowing its going on a positive direction makes me want to do backflips! ( IF I COULD LOL) I was very depressed, grumpy, became overweight. Now im on a brighter path. Reading all the “post surgery” comments, I was like “yeah right” 5 days out im very functional with my walker and use a pair of reins for my stretching exercises, and to hoist the leg up on to the bed , couch whatever.
I would be out with the nags in the barn but infection is a worry. I see myself puttering around after the staples are out. I take pain meds before I get too painful as per advice of my surgeon and PT.
Addiction is a worry but as the pain lessens, so will my doses hence tapering off until no mas pain.

?Hi All,I just found this tread, and delighted that so many of you have had good TKR results. July 7th, I had my second TKR…4 years after I had the other knee replaced.

I found that after one TRK, I could not properly or safely, ride my H/J. The weakness in the TRK was troubling, and I found myself always questioning my ability. Settled for long walks, with a little trotting. Interestingly, the trot did not bother my knee, however the canter proved far too painful. I am 4 months post surgery, and hope to be back on my mare soon.

Yes the surgery, and recovery is very painful and long. It is easy to become complacent, but steady physical therapy is the key to recovery. I ended up having my knee manipuled, which helped with both my PT and mobility.

I had both of my knees replaced 4 years ago this NOv… I also was very scared and searched the internet for positive results from riders, as my GP told me that I should not ride after TKRs. My OS, on the other hand, told me I was riding with more risk before replacements then I would be afterwards, as my knees were very badly bowed and bone on bone , with the end of the bone hanging out in space!
At first, I was scheduled to have one done at a time, but about two weeks before the surgery, my O.S. offered to do them both at the same time and I jumped for it-rehab would have been impossible with one knee bowed and the other straight-at least to the degree that mine were bowed
Here in Canada, one does not automatically go into physio, after TKRs . I spent the first month at my son and daughter in law, who live in Red Deer, where I had the replacements done My daughter in law is an OR nurse.
I did not want to go home and risk being snowed in , unable to get to a hospital, should I need to
I did work very hard at getting full mobility-ROM, had a very different meaning, then what it did showing horses!
I had one physio evaluation, where it was decided that I was doing great and did not need any appts.
I was back riding within three months, and showed that following summer as usual. I could actually jog my horse for halter, versus walking fast while my horse jogged, and riding English , posting, became painless for the first time in years.
Today I seldom think about the fact that I have TKRs, ride like I did years ago, able to use my legs effectively again. Some days I ride three horses, including one that is green
Just got back from an elk hunt, and rode 8 hour days in the mountains without a problem
I also used Bone Smart and another joint replacement forum, of which I have forgotten the name
I trim all of our horses, but I do use a hoof Jack stand
In the winter, I can once more go on hikes-something I had not done in years before replacements

AND … tomorrow is the day for me to get Knee #1 done. Scared and looking forward to it all rolled into one which I guess is pretty normal … :slight_smile:

The surgeon wouldn’t do both at once - he said I wouldn’t be happy with the results and then I’d be telling everyone that Dr XXX is a crummy surgeon - my knee replacements didn’t work, so the next one is scheduled for August 2015. He wont do it sooner than that

A friend’s Dad had 2 replaced - 3 months apart - and is now having issues with both of them so I can now understand completely the long waiting time in between

Hubby is on Day 3 of being trained for “Stable Boy” duties and is doing very very well :slight_smile:

Thank you to everyone with input on this thread. It has helped immensely :slight_smile: And a big “thank you” to Donkaloosa for sending me her “Guide to Knee Replacement”. It sure tells you everything you need to know and didn’t even think to think about beforehand … :slight_smile:

Wish me luck …

Had both done at the same time March 19; back on the horse May 8. Both knees are better than ever in my life! Because I ride first flight in foxhunting and for us here in MI that means riding at speed through woods, I wear polo knee guards which have metal and padding across the knee cap and on the sides. That makes me feel like Superman! Even if I smack my knee dead on into a tree --my replacement will be undamaged. If I’m kicked in the knee or fall on the knee, I’m protected. I ride about two hours a day four days a week (depending on weather). I think both at the same time was hard, but knee surgery is never easy. I’m glad I did both at the same time.

Foxglove

I had my right one done in 08. No problem riding… but I switched to western that is much easier than Jumpers on the knees. It can get a little stiff on a very long ride… but compared to what it was like before OMG… no comparison… My left one is getting a bit bad now…I am hoping to just be able to inject it for a few years more …

Results vary for people, one only has to visit some of the joint replacement forums to see that! In fact, much as those forums, like Bone Smart helped me, they also put a lot of fear into me, as those that have great results post less, while those with revisions, infections, poor mobility, etc post more-only natural!
I’m one of those that has had excellent results with bi lateral knee replacements, so for anyone considering that option, talk to some of us that are very, very happy that we had both done at once!

How soon after total knee replacement surgery can one resume regular stuff?

I am 2 1/2 weeks post ops and going insane from boredom!

I am puttering around doing vacuuming and dusting for 5-10-15 minutes stints without my cane or walker and my surgical leg does get sore and tired afterwards. I’ll sit and rest for 30-60 minutes afterwards and then attack something else for 5-15 minutes and then rest again

I walk around the house a LOT, up and down the stairs. I don’t know if I should be doing more? or less? I’d happily walk around all day long if that is a good thing for me to do! I religiously do my physio exercises 3+ times a day and incorporate some other stretching exercises into them as well to stretch my hamstring muscles, etc

last blood thinner taken yesterday. Still on anti-inflammatories for my overall arthritis and down to minimal pain killers - really just when I need them - so pretty much “on my own” right now

I am looking into getting a Tread Climber or something similar that I can use throughout the day as well

When is it “recommended” for me to go down to the barn and actually just stand there and pick out a stall or two? Hubby would still lead the horses in and out - it would be a dumb move on my part to start handling them right now. I am assuming that any pain I am feeling on my surgical leg right now is totally non related to the new knee and now 100% associated with the tight muscles, tendons, ligaments? Can I also assume that my new knee is completely “set” and anchored right now and short of really twisting and torque-ing it that I really cant do any real damage to it right now?

many thanks - would really appreciate the input of those that have walked in these boots before … :slight_smile:

You are doing really well!
I know the desire to do more, soon! I had both knees replaced at once, and the time until I could go out and see my horses again, making sure their care was right, 'killed me"!
It was winter, and icy out. I did use my crutches and made it out there at about 6 weeks post, got my friend to bring my horse to me, used a walker as support, and then with the use of a hoof jack, trimmed her feet
The cement is set, but it takes time for the tendons and bone to heal and really make that knee stable, and thus I was protective and careful of my new knees for that first year, avoiding any trauma or torque
Mine were so badly bowed, that it took a year for my one knee to truly feel completely healed , and almost two years for the second
I still hiked and rode and did chores, but when I went to Las Vegas that first year and walked on cement down the strip for several hours, my knees got sore
Every person is different and heals at a different rate
I also did my exercises and walked every day, a fact that I now attribute my great ROM to. I seldom even think that I have knee replacements any more, except I have made the concession not to start colts anymore!
Enjoy your new knee, but I would be a bit protective of it for awhile
Mine probably took the length of time that they did, to feel 100%, because I would have had badly stretched tendons on the bowed side, and contracted ones on the opposite side

Well - saw my doctor today

He is not happy with the ROM in my leg, so Im being sent for more aggressive physio. Yay … :no:

I am cleared to go down to the barn next week, which is just over 3 weeks post surgery which I’m fine with that. I can walk as much as I want but if I get tired Im supposed to back off and rest which Ive been doing. My operated on (left) leg is about 1/2-3/4 inch taller than my right leg now (as my right is so deviated and pretzel-y its not completely upright anymore) so I need to buy a shoe insert for my right leg otherwise Im crookedy now, until I get my right knee done next year

I drove back and forth to the hospital (just over an hour each way) and that was completely okay. Got in and out of the truck with no problems, so I am now confident doing little jaunts into town to the bank, post office, etc as long as the footing is secure

So - good update today other than on the physio which I have to get sorted out so I don’t have long standing issues with my ROM on this leg

I can’t speak too much on TKR, except from other’s experiences! I had a total hip replacement 2.5 years ago (and just climbed Kilimanjaro) and at that time, there were several in PT who had both knees replaced. While the knee replacement seems harder than hip, everyone was tickled to have less pain. PT was critical, in my view. Everybody that used our joint replacement surgeons had to have 6-8 weeks of PT. I was back on a horse after 6. The hip doesn’t bother me at all. However, I have arthritis everywhere and currently having one knee injected and babying a shoulder that is bone-on-bone. So, I will probably look forward to more bionic replacements.

BTW: I DID have bad reactions to the pain meds and was MUCH happier getting off them sooner rather than later. You CAN experience addictive symptoms in as little as 2 weeks. I found that hard to believe, but it’s true.

All in all, it seems joint replacement gives you SO much more relief and freedom - you will be thrilled you did it!!! Good luck!!!

[QUOTE=TrueColours;7874466]
Well - saw my doctor today

He is not happy with the ROM in my leg, so Im being sent for more aggressive physio. Yay … :no:

I am cleared to go down to the barn next week, which is just over 3 weeks post surgery which I’m fine with that. I can walk as much as I want but if I get tired Im supposed to back off and rest which Ive been doing. My operated on (left) leg is about 1/2-3/4 inch taller than my right leg now (as my right is so deviated and pretzel-y its not completely upright anymore) so I need to buy a shoe insert for my right leg otherwise Im crookedy now, until I get my right knee done next year

I drove back and forth to the hospital (just over an hour each way) and that was completely okay. Got in and out of the truck with no problems, so I am now confident doing little jaunts into town to the bank, post office, etc as long as the footing is secure

So - good update today other than on the physio which I have to get sorted out so I don’t have long standing issues with my ROM on this leg[/QUOTE]

Yes, one of the reasons that I jumped, when offered bi lateral replacements, two weeks before I was due to just having just the first one done-that un even set of legs, making it more difficult to learn to walk normal again
Before replacements, I was down to 5ft 5inches. After replacements, i was back to being 5ft 7inches!
I walked like a duck, before those TKRs, as my legs were very badly bowed
I did not have any formal physio, just two evaluations, where it was decided that I was doing great. I did work very hard at my ROM by myself, having read horse forums where some posted that they had difficulty getting on their horse after knee replacements, esp wearing chaps
I could not jog my horse in hand when I did show her in halter, before. She learned to jog on command, while I walked faster.It was so great to be able to actually jog beside my horse again, plus ride HUS, posting without pain, nor needing to dose up on pain killers
Are you also doing physio at home? I got some of those resistant straps, tied them to my railing and did them a couple of times a day, besides those exercises that come in the after TKR manual
Do you have a stationary bike that you can start to ride?I got a used one and called it Silver. Old Silver and I rode many miles while watching the evening news!
Good luck with your ROM-it will come

Truecolours --I had both knees done at the same time. Doc agreed because 1) I wanted it that way 2) Daughter at that time was one of his OR nurses who agreed to take care of me during my at home recovery. Good idea? Bad idea? I don’t know --it worked well for me. I was back riding in 8-9 weeks. Bonesmart and my PT were the reasons I had such great success, I think. And I’m a really good patient --I do exactly what the DR ordered, my suggestion is get a Gravity Rocker (like a lawn chair that goes all the way back) you MUST try to keep toes over nose as much as possible to reduce pain and swelling. I tried a recliner and it didn’t get my feet high enough.

Old thread, but may be timely for those looking to have their knees fixed. I did get my total knee replacement in Dec of 2016. It has worked out well for me and being pain free is quite wonderful!

Knee works well, I don’t even think about it 99% of the time. I am able to ride, do all my farm things, walk long distances, garden with a kneeling pad under it. Growing back the nerve takes about a year, DO NOT try kneeling on it before then. Knee will tell you it is not happy!

Everyone is different, we learn as we go. Looking back, I would have gone to PT before the surgery, gotten knee things “loosened up” as the Therapist put it. I had quit being able to straighten it properly, shortening the soft tissues by not using them. That really affected how hard it was to straighten the knee after surgery. Had to work harder, longer, to get knee to be straight. Got threatened with a second surgery “to break lt loose” if therapy did not fix it SOON. You evidently have a short length of time to reach the desired range of motion, before things just are not possible anymore. Working hard, at home and in therapy, I met and exceeded the numbers Doc wanted.

I would advise getting off any pain killers ASAP after surgery because they really mess you up. Maybe stretch time between pills out longer, which I did not do. Just continued the pills in a mental fog, blaming surgery for side effects, not the pills causing it. I am over reactive to any opium products, so they really got to me. The name called them a synthetic, but they are actually distilled twice from real opium. What a thing to find out after!

My good friend learned from my experiences. She got off the pills fast, did her therapy, was back in action much faster than I was. Helped that she did not have the shortened tendons and other soft tissues that I did to overcome. She loves her new knee! Not going to get the second knee replaced because it does not hurt anymore. Second knee was being over used saving the bad knee. So kind of a reward in two ways by fixing the first knee!