Unlimited access >

Lameness Evaluator Machine

Are you talking about the Lameness Locator designed by Dr Keegan at University of MO? I think his company is called Equinosis? I’ve had a few evals done by Dr Keegan using the lameness locator. It’s really cool. Fascinating technology. My first visit with him we used the locator and eventually diagnosed neck arthritis. I like that it takes the human subjective aspect out of it. I do think you have to be educated in reading the results to interpret them correctly. And the whole process takes quite a bit of time. Blocking, re-evaluating with the lameness locator. . . . I really liked my exams using the locator and wish it was a bit more accessible in this area.

I think I am in exactly this boat. Thin soles after aggressive trim and now the diagonal hind which we spent months rehabbing and conditioning the horse slowly for is now short. Injected for bone issue on the front diagonal, no change, pulled the shoe to look for abscess, situation made worse probably in part at least by thin soles and loss of protection from the shoe. The lameness locator picked up the front, but I will have to see why it did not pick up the hind on the diagonal pair. Not sure about how that works.

I have not had this technology work well for me. It might just be luck of the draw. Treated a suspensory (no lameness locator, just nerve blocking). The horse looked great after treatment. Then the hind angles went negative, and the vet used the locator and said the horse was back at square one, which didn’t make sense because he didn’t hip hike or show a short stride at all. After his hooves were balanced and supported with pads and cushion material, he looked fabulous.

Fast forward to when he got a bad front trim and suddenly the hind is off again, and now we are focusing on the front to the exclusion of the hind per the lameness locator. I am just really not sure what to think because the hind definitely looks off. Maybe we do have a front and hind issue both. I just can’t see the front, I can see the hind, the locator sees the front, and maybe doesn’t see the hind. With diagonal pairs, how does that work?