Unlimited access >

Landrover 2021 Cancelled

thats the thing, how many riders would be going, and mostly American?

Apparently New Zealand was sending a whole
Plane over and there was a predicted big incoming from overseas (how?? In the pandemic is another question).

3 Likes

There are plenty of international riders at WEF right now who flew in from other countries, some at about the same risk level as the US. Really, I donā€™t understand why someone from New Zealand, the country with the best pandemic handling, would want to come here.

9 Likes

Considering people showing at other recognized events at KHP pay significantly more in entry fees, maybe they [the UL riders and owners] should put their money where their mouth is and pay a little more to compete.

13 Likes

I honestly wasnā€™t even sure if there would be livestreaming, based on the information I was able to find online. People who were asking that got called ā€œselfishā€ in some of the FB threads I saw (i.e., wanting something tangible back from their donations), but Iā€™ll mention that here!

The UK has some of the most poorly controlled coronavirus outbreaks (including the now-notorious UK strain, which is apparently not more deadly or vaccine-resistant, but is still much, much more communicable). So Iā€™m not sure how that would ā€œworkā€ sending riders from there over, and the UK has historically had some of the most competitive riders at Kentucky.

Iā€™m not criticizing organizers for asking (although truthfully, this year I have nothing to give, not ashamed to say that), but the manner in which theyā€™re doing seems likely to have the opposite effect, in terms of generating goodwill.

5 Likes

@Impractical_Horsewoman reading your most recent post what immediately popped into my mind is oh how nice no one will have to watch Ollie Townend beat his horse around the track again, or Marilyn Little explain again how obvs bloody mouthed horses are just a normal part of being so very very talented.

10 Likes

Well, I hope my UK favorite Ros Canterā€™s enterprise survives this pandemic intact! And alas, Marilyn Little is American.

I know re ml, I was moving on at that point to people we wonā€™t be able to see who are gross, british or otherwise

1 Like

I wonder, if you look at this frankly, if you are treating this nasty undeserved social media ā€œtantrumā€ directed toward you, differently than you would have if the person who was so dismissive and rude to you had been a ā€œgrassrootsā€ person and not an ā€œUL riderā€™s wifeā€.

Would you be so quick to cover their behavior? An honest question, no sarcasm intended.

5 Likes

Because the rider/coach/trainer/clinician had nothing to do with it. My husband didnā€™t agree with my donation to KY but I did it anyway. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Is there no requirement for large events like Kentucky to have event insurance? It is really simple to purchase event insurance that covers cancellations and reimburses any money that had already been paid out. So, my question is did they have event insurance and if so, what happened to the money they were reimbursed?

I find it very hard to believe that a large horse event with international coverage is not required to have event insurance tbh.

4 Likes

From my understanding most policies donā€™t cover communicable diseases so there wouldnā€™t be any coverage for this cancellation unless they had that coverage which is seriously unlikely.

Why doesnā€™t the stewards, judges and organizers donate their time? Wouldnā€™t that make the event less costly? :thinking:

2 Likes

Event cancellation insurance is generally an ā€œall-causeā€ type coverage. It doesnā€™t matter why the event canceled, just the fact that it did cancel is enough to activate the policy.

**I help sponsor some local horse events and this type of coverage is required by most venues and associations that we deal with.

1 Like

Since it doesnā€™t look like the organizers have even bothered to petition the FEI to waive the requirement for large $ winning awards, the riders could announce that any winnings will be donated to back the event to cover costs. A few notable riders doing that might pressure the others to sign on. Itā€™s a large amount of money. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, perhaps the total is comparable to everything that has been raised by donations so far.

6 Likes

All risk coverage still have exclusions and I would bet they had one. There is no such thing as an absolute all risk policy. Majority of policies have this exclusion. I have only heard of one major event being able to claim this and I think it was a football/soccer game if I remember correctly.

Also even if they had the coverage they wouldnā€™t be able to make a claim and run the event. One or the other.

1 Like

They make the claim for not running last year and use the money towards this year. Not doing both, Iā€™m not suggesting insurance fraud. lol

All of the policies that I have looked into and used have no exclusion for the pandemic since that is something that was looked at specifically when asking about coverage. Itā€™s covered under ā€œfortuitous triggering eventā€ in the policy literature.

1 Like

Most of the stewards DO donate their time. Chief and asst. Chief get $, the rest pay their own way and work 12-18 hour days for free.

6 Likes

Just to be totally upfront, five days ago when they announced the cancellation I posted this:

I did and do feel I have a responsibility to ā€œput my money where my mouth is/wasā€, so I absolutely followed through and donated. Obviously Iā€™m not a competitor there (hahahaha), but selfishly itā€™s been a rough year and I would really enjoy a few days glued to the live stream/Eventing Nation/Twitter/live scores/a giant Facebook message discussing every little detail with my friends. It would be nice to pretend things were normal for a bit, and even as an ammy who wouldnā€™t have travelled this year, I still get personal benefit/enjoyment out of Kentucky running. I really look forward to it every year.

That said, Iā€™m trying to keep some perspective here. As much as I would love a distraction and something that feels normal and just FUN for a few days, there is a pandemic going on. So while I donated to Kentucky, you better believe Iā€™ve donated quite a bit more to other causes that matter more this year and in general (and yes, one of those causes that received more of my $$ than Kentucky was absolutely the frangible fund). I love this event as much as anyone out there. But at the end of the day, as sad as Iā€™d be to be doing nothing on the last weekend in April, I am trying to remember that it is ultimately just a horse show.

^^ I did say this in my original post. So far they havenā€™t done anything than ask for straight donations, albeit with the option to refund if the event doesnā€™t run. Iā€™m hoping for the next round of fundraising they use some of these ideas and come up with a way for donors to get something back, even if itā€™s token.

Iā€™d be willing to bet the New Zealand plane was leaving from England. There are very few 5* riders (Kiwi or otherwise) actually based in NZ (not none, but few). Tim and Jonelle have stated their desire to come, for instance, and they are based in the UK. Doesnā€™t address the desire to cross an ocean in a pandemic, but thatā€™s a different issue.

I hope they donā€™t. No one who is working face-to-face during a pandemic should be doing so for free. Iā€™m of the opinion they should all be getting danger pay, but then Iā€™m just one little snowflake privileged enough to work from home.

5 Likes

I noticed they have extended the funding deadline. I donā€™t see any information about how they will protect the community and handle the influx of international entrantsā€“although, to be fair, I donā€™t see information from Badminton about that, either.