Unlimited access >

Landscaping/planting things around pasture. Can I see photos and plant options?

I think I have decided to use Lilac and a newer type of bush called slender deutzia. Both are non toxic to horses! I am also going to use plain woodchips for mulching, as I dont want to spend too much on this area. I will have to change my decision of lilac if I find out that the area gets part shade. I honestly can’t remember the spring/summer shade pattern for this area, aha. There are trees in the pasture, so I’m not sure if they will cast shadows over the area in growing season. Thank you for everyone’s help and I will still check back incase I have to change my choice of lilac!

Clanter, You are spot on about oleander. Even the smoke from burning it is extremely toxic to all animals, including humans. I first began researching toxic plants after a friend’s CDE pony died after ingesting oleander. This friend’s mother is a vet, and she tried desperately to save this horse, but poor Oliver didn’t stand a chance.

I would pay a neighbor to remove oleander — fortunately, they require a warmer zone than here in NW Oregon.

Red maple (acer rubrum) is also known for just a couple of leaves being deadly for horses.

Probably no surprise, but ricinis, or castor bean plant, is highly deadly for all beings. To make matters worse, the ripe seedheads explode, scattering their poison. This plant has is beloved amongst ornamental gardeners, and I’ve become very unpopular amongst those who find it beautiful and have to have it. (“But my child/dog/cat/whatever is too smart to eat anything poisonous!”)

I love woodland natives, and sadly almost all of these are toxic to some degree. Ironically, our turnouts are surrounded by woods and two poisonous plants constantly encroach upon our fences: foxglove and elderberry. Trilliums, wild bleeding heart, and so many other beauties are also dangerous, so I dig them up and move them to our outer driveway and dead-end (haha) road.