Unlimited access >

Languishing between the add and the step

I think anything under 16h is a hony to most, so I’ll take it haha.
All striding is whatever feels good
The derby is set at 2ft with 2’3” high options
First place gets a bottle of 14hands wine

4 Likes

LOVE it!!! An ammie friend of mine & I also told our trainer we want a “best 8” class. Jump nine jumps but at the end of your round, you can tell the judge which one doesn’t count :rofl: Completion/participation ribbons and wine for all

4 Likes

Funny, this just reminded me of when I was showing my trainers 15-3 grey mare. She was wonderful & very brave, but didn’t always like to open up her step. We were one trip out & my trainer calls over “Ok, go gallop a lap around the schooling ring”. Another trainer friend standing next to her yells “Ridem cowgirl!”

3 Likes

I would love to see a small amateur hunter division, just like they have small juniors. It would be great to have a small HOTY division as well. We can show with the big guys and just let our points go to a different category, like they sometime combine juniors. I don’t think people truly appreciate the extra effort it can take for a 16H and under horses to make it down the lines. It would be nice to reward them!

I also love the idea of setting the lines a little softer.

9 Likes

When my lease horse moved on and I was in between and looking to buy but wanted to keep
showing I took my daughters 14.3 hand hony into the pre adult (2’6) ring. He did the step but goodness it wasn’t easy. Never placed in the primary color ribbons but did grab our share of the pastels. His heart was so much bigger than his size.

3 Likes

I agree with others who pointed out a possible upper body connection. Got anyone who rides with a more open hip angle that you could have jump him around & see what happens? He’s also young & being quite careful & diligent about the whole business (yay!! We like that!). He looks like he’ll be able to start to lengthen out more as his confidence & strength increase. He’s soooooo cute :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

She is not trying to open his stride in the video. She is adding, and doing it so nicely in a way that is not fighting with him. As she has made clear, horsie kinda wants to do the step already, and she is keeping him happy until he’s ready. She has very good feel, and we can go on and on and on about aids and seat and equitation, but if you don’t have good feel, it’s worth nothin’.

4 Likes

I think you guys look like the perfect pair and you ride him so well! I also agree with so many others that once the fence height goes up, the lines will flow much better that the striding will just work perfectly. Its hard when they are just cantering over a jump.

I do the add with my large pony when the fence height is low and I think it looks good and we place fairly well. I find I almost have to chase to get the add in 2’3" or lower but when I enter the 2’6" or 2’9" classes, I have to hold back a bit in the lines since he’s flowing and jumping that much better (and further away from the base and landing of course).

I also must agree that we need to have adult classes on ponies, or honys!! I currently ride a 14.2h pony and compete against the big guys (I do kinda stand out!) and I’m breeding a large pony to a warmblood for a future hony for me!! I like the smaller guys <3

4 Likes