Unlimited access >

Lawsuit challenges limiting stallion books

Makes sense.[quote=“Pronzini, post:37, topic:756862, full:true”]

That is why breeders that breed for the sales are usually fairly wealthy. Investment in very high class mares is required as well as the use of expensive stallions.

The breeder of a small broodmare band of non-race TB horses requires the same outlay of time and money and luck that small breeders of race TBs have to contend with except for the stud fees and what I am guessing are relatively high expenses of race training. I realize that’s an enormous “except”.

I’ve worked for a couple of “private” TB breeders in the past. For them, it was a labor of love developing their mare lines (as I believe it is for @LaurieB) and in one case standing their stallion as well. None of them bred racehorses though, and they didn’t sell yearlings, they were trained up and either shown or hunted.

(@Pronzini what do buyers want, yearlings that have been kept in a stall? Do you think that part of the problem is the purchase of racehorses by completely non-horsey people or the failure by trainers to educate them?)

Perhaps the day of the TB show horse will return but it obviously won’t come from TB race breeding model.

I was not privy to their books but the horses they did sell sold well. They were affluent though and not really expecting to make a profit ( I don’t see how they could have really) It was a lifelong interest.
The fact that race horses are bred for two purposes only, sale and or race as you mentioned, is tough.

It seems as if the Jockey Club is taking away any chance for small operations to have a go at the commercial market with the horses they don’t keep to race unless (as LaurieB mentioned) they are very wealthy and well connected. It’ll be interesting to see if that’s the case. [quote=“Simkie, post:14, topic:756514”]

My impression is that the days of the hot house yearlings are in the past. Too many buyers got burned by good looking and non athletic horses. At the end of the day, a breeder has to raise race horses. Buyers have to buy them and sellers have to sell them. Otherwise families go stale and buyers go elsewhere. Oh sure, there are still some people out there–chiefly newbies–who look at the two year old sales as mini races and they want the one who won the race (the fastest works). But, as the industry contracts, it seems like the dumb money is being weeded out, at least at the elite levels.

Again a lot of these guys have advisers who have seen everything twice. They don’t want a hot house horse which might have endless problems later on. So commercial breeders need to suck it up and let half a million on four hooves run around, rough house and play and keep their fingers crossed that nobody bounces off a fence or gets kicked in the head. It’s nerve wracking but you need to produce athletes.

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. :+1:

Sorry for the delay. I hate searching the USTA website from my phone.
http://members.ustrotting.com/breeding.cfm
Is there a limit to how many mares my stallion can breed?
Yes, effective with the breeding season of 2011, any new stallion cannot breed more than 140 mares in North America. For stallions that had been breeding prior to 2011, limits are as follows:

Breeding Season 2008 & before 2009 2010 2011 & thereafter
Trotting Stallions no limit 140 140 140
Pacing Stallions no limit 160 150 140

ET Rules:

Section 26.23 - Mare must be at least 2 and only the first born foal of the year can be registered. Donor mare can’t be raced or exported during recip mare gestation.

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, but I see a way the 140 cap will help the breed. Right now there are a few farms (like Winstar) who play the Hot New Sire game…retire 3 or 4 new horses every year, generate a lot of buzz and get 180 mares at 20-30k. Those stallions stay for 2 or 3 seasons, when “the flop year” happens and the book numbers decline, the stud fee drops accordingly, and instead of riding out the storm Winstar cashes out and dumps the stallion to a foreign country… fine for the stallion syndicate to get a big paycheck…but a huge hit for breeders who took a chance that final season (that they didn’t KNOW was final season). Now resulting foal is commercially tanked because Stallion was sent away and buyers automatically think he’s no good. Which perpetuates the cycle…average Winstar stallion’s books decline year 3 because breeders are gunshy to commit to a horse who may end up in Korea/Saudi before their foal hits the ground. (Yeah, I’m talking about the lovely Commissioner colt in my paddock right now). Then occasionally one of the stallions hits big (Take Charge Indy, Daredevil) and someone has to go buy him back…but not before a loss was taken.

Maybe if books were capped, Winstar wouldn’t breed the snot out of their new arrivals, and there could me more mares to trickle down into those 3rd year books and support a stallion well enough to keep him here and give him a chance to see his 3yos hit the track.

Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

As for the late-retiring G1 mare looking to get to a War Front, Tapit, or MDO…that won’t be too much of a problem. Many top stallions (aside from Spendthrift and Ashford) already have limited books under 150, some under 100. There will be room for that exceptional mare, even if the farm has to bump one of their own (who will still get bred to somebody…and maybe gives a chance to a less popular stallion).

As a smaller breeder, I won’t shop at Winstar, because I don’t want to feed their assembly line scheme and I don’t trust them to support a stallion in year 3.

And, yeah, maybe a small time breeder just won’t breed their good mare if they can’t get their first choice…but maybe they’ll make a few phone calls, get an exceptional deal to #2 choice, and still have a way to (at least) break even on that eventual yearling. Maybe that one good mare will be the one that gives this lesser stallion his Big Runner, and the tide turns him into a popular stallion with better mares.

4 Likes

The hot new sire game is only important to commercial breeders. And while it may be hard to profitably sell a yearling whose sire has been shipped out of the country, it’s equally hard to sell the offspring of a third year sire who has 3yos running that aren’t lighting up the track. The first and second years are pretty much bulletproof (particularly if you sell weanlings) but third year and beyond is always problematic until a stallion proves himself. Imo, it doesn’t make a significant difference whether the horse has been relocated or simply hasn’t produced the goods. The stallion would tank commercially either way.

I don’t see how having a mare cap is going to change what the market is willing to buy. It will, however, change what small breeders are able to breed.

4 Likes

Interesting position to take- the breeders have “no standing”, and therefore their filing is no bueno!