Unlimited access >

Laying Hens and Eggs

FWIW one farm sitting client of mine had a predator-proof pen attached to her coop, but would periodically let them out in an electric netting yard when she was close by. Not often enough that the predators could catch on to the routine, but often enough that her chickens got out for some free ranging. You can still lose them that way, but it was a fair compromise.

One of the worst experiences I had farm sitting was when a raccoon got into a different client’s pen. The hens were safe in the coop and I got the raccoon out, but I was so worried he would come back during the day.

1 Like

Good to know .

1 Like

I love chickens (and eggs) but we have foxes here and this is their natural habitat. So I don’t have chickens. I couldn’t keep them safe and I can’t take the heartbreak. It’s too hard to have animals that literally everything wants to eat!!!

2 Likes

I had a similar experience 5-6 years ago, only the predator stalking my house was a coyote. She would watch the house and pick off a chicken when she thought the coast was clear. I tried for two months to run her off but she kept coming back, and I was worried that when she ate all the chickens she would start on the cats. I finally bought a rifle and shot her. I hated doing that, but it definitely solved the problem.

1 Like

We’ve lost a few to hawks and at least one to a bobcat. For the most part the dogs keep critters off the property during the day but we did stop giving them names.:frowning:
LetItBe

@moonlitoaksranch What breed are your new chicks?

So mine are finally here, after a minor snafu. My original supplier promised me 5, then sold them all to someone else. In a distraught state of mind, I combed all the local FB chicken groups for chicks and was able to pick up 5 the next day.

The 2 big ones are buff orpingtons, the 3 small ones are a prairie bluebell egger hybrid. Supposedly all pullets, fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

While it’s only been 3 days, I’m enjoying the journey with my little flock!

When I was a teenager, I worked at our trainer’s farm. He was the devil, and while he had a great reputation in the Arabian horse world, he was a pedophile and animal hoarder. He raised an obscene number of “show” chicks… thousands! They did nothing but exist until they died. Occasionally he’d sell a few. Their state of existence was horrid and traumatized me (shoot; I wish that was the only trauma inflicted on us young girls at the farm). Anyway, it wasn’t until I had a farm-sitting business as an adult that I learned that chickens didn’t have to be so awful. Now having my own feels like such a positive outcome after going through all that as a kid.

5 Likes

Buff Brahma, RIR, Sapphire Splash, and Calico Princess. The first two are common, but those last are specific to the hatchery.

1 Like

I just got a box of broiler chicks Thursday and they all arrived perky and are all doing great, I’m very happy about that, especially with this nasty cold/windy snap that basically ruined my vacation days last week.

I need to get something sorted for the 5 Leghorn pullets, they’re about ready to fly out of the tub I have them in, flighty little things…

Still no success hatching my Barred Rocks. Ugh.

2 Likes

I’ve got 6 point of lay pullets on order, delivery in April. Then I’m also gonna get 6 chicks too, a bit later. The point of lay birds are ridiculously expensive. But I figure if I get half a dozen chicks each spring, the replacement will happen adequately. We do NEED chickens here. Have been chickenless for months now, since the bobcat mass murder tragedy.

3 Likes

One of the new chicks has a poopy butt, so I cleaned her up and she’s on my lap, snuggled under a blanket until she dries. They do have a bit of molasses in their water. She’s the Sapphire Splash. Her name is Periwinkle. All of our hens get names. Usually old fashioned or flower names.

4 Likes

We had a farm with bird flu in our county! I’m going to add a bleach pan outside the coop.

This is great! “Returned chicken to owner.” Hahahaha!

10 Likes

Here’s an updated view of our flock.

7 Likes

Love it! I bet they enjoy the ladder. Are the chicks in there with them yet?

Mine are SO big.

They are 4 or 5ish weeks now and getting an eviction notice soon. I’m very ready for them to be outside. :crazy_face:

I’m a little bit worried the buff orpington in the back is a “he” instead of a she. He/she has quite the comb and while you can’t see them in this pic, her wattles are coming in bright red. I’m hoping I’m just paranoid.

2 Likes

Not yet. They are still too little.

Can you tell by the saddle feathers at that age?

No, they don’t have them yet. Too young.

Thanks. I know nothing about chickens, only what I have read on COTH.

How long before you can tell a he from a she?

I don’t know much either! People at hatcheries can sex them at birth, but that’s only possible right after they hatch. Then it’s a whole bunch of old wives tales and methods with inconsistent accuracy until they are at least 2 or 3 months old.

(Adding: unless you have a sex-linked breed. Some breeds are different colors for male/female. Mine aren’t that kind)

1 Like

I had a bear break into my coop, he got 25 birds :frowning: