Unlimited access >

Learning how to jump....when does it get better?

My TB that was 2 years off the track when I bought him and hadn’t had any jumping experience. I did have a trainer work with him and things were going along well with his dressage when we started introducing him to poles and small jumps. He seemed to take to it well and actually enjoyed it. I took him cross country schooling a few times and he did very well so thought we were on our way. For some reason he started back sliding and refusing. I had him checked over for saddle fit and for any pain in hocks and stifles with negative finding. Then I entered him in a small local derby to use it as a litmus test on whether we continue with jump training or not and for some reason, he just lost his marbles. He was totally inverted, rearing, not at all focused and I couldn’t even get him near any of the baby jumps, we just trotted around the field with his head in the air barely containing himself.

Once I pointed him away from the activity of the start box and the dressage arena, he completely calmed down and we had a relaxed stroll back to the trailer. Was I disappointed? You bet I was but I figured this just wasn’t his jam after all. Now he’s a trail horse and living his best life.

5 Likes

I agree every horse is different - I have ridden a lot of horses at various stages of “off the track” and each took to jumping differently. One I had to turn and only give 2 strides or so to the jump or she would grab the bit and rush but if she was given less time to think about it, she jumped calmly. This was over crossrails and you had to be careful when doing flat work lest she think a circle was a turn to the jumps. This was first month of riding.

Another belonged to a friend and was much more like your horse - just didn’t feel the need to pick up his feet. That is until they took him cross country schooling one day and he tried to barge through a log on the ground…learned his lesson there and is a reliable jumper. Not total gung ho, but reliable.

My mare’s sire LOVES to jump, which is why I bred the dam to him. Unless she isn’t feeling good, she will also pull (politely) to jumps and gets excited when jumping. Her first cross rail, we were in a group but for some reason I went first, before the other much more seasoned horses. She went right over and away.

I think maybe take him schooling, see how he feels about that.

1 Like

I second this - as a super inexperienced rider over fences but one who started my first horse over fences (decades ago) by following other horses on trail rides over tiny logs and itsy bitsy coops when he was a coming 5 year old. Didn’t have a freaking clue what I was doing but he just trotted behind the other horse and about 2 years later really started jumping in the arena and it was all soooo easy for him. I plan on doing this with my yearling when she is 5 also. Trail rides and hunter paces popping over natural and solid obstacles.

3 Likes

So many OTTBs are “flat land” horses - since they came out of the pasture and went into training they have lived on manicured ground. No holes, no rocks, no bumps just manicured surfaces. They have to re-learn footwork. For some, chewing gum and walking is too much ie learning where their feet are AND carrying rider.
Go school rough ground and cross country on a long line. Bell boots only to keep from pulling shoes, if they bang a shin its gonna sting. If they put their nose up and charge and trip, they will start looking at the ground in front of them. Its a bit of a boot camp but its effective. And they gain so much confidence in themselves and get so proud. Also they don’t get scared and rushy when you go jump for real - after all they have walked or jogged up to Novice fences and walked up and down and through Training ditches and banks and coffins.
Continue this under saddle with random poles and logs everywhere you school - and no boots.
They have to learn to watch out for their own damn feet!

4 Likes