Lesson barns disappearing, or my imagination?

exactly!

Oh yeah, my state doesn’t have anything like that and my boss carries insurance so I guess I just had a very low barrier to entry. I also don’t show much, just a few schooling shows where amateur status doesn’t matter but I totally understand people not wanting to risk that.

1 Like

But does their insurance cover you getting paid by your student to take a lesson on your horse on their property? Or does that student pay the boss who then pays you a percentage?

Be most unusual if it does. Better check that out and ask for proof you are covered if your student paying you falls off your horse on barns property. Boss may not be covered in this situation either. In any state.

3 Likes

But does their insurance cover you getting paid

the person needs to have been add to the policy as an “additional insured endorsement”

just verbally saying my policy covers you may not be correct

2 Likes

What state are you in @beowulf , and where is more information about this?

I’ve spoken to a number of people about this - but didn’t realize there was any such licensing agency within the US.

1 Like

That’s just smart.

I had someone insist I was covered as an instructor for injuries to riding students by Workers Comp.
By the barn that didn’t pay when I got injured at work. đŸ€Š
Guess how many lessons I taught after that?

Exactly this

They must have thought I was born last night.

Thank you for that info, clanter. Thats what I have been told and what everybidy needs to check, including boarders.

1 Like

It’s MA and it’s bs. If you pass the test which has nothing to do with actual training you get the license. It’s mostly about the laws (which still say a horse can work 12 hours a day) and the parts of saddles etc. I know someone who took the 12 course literally but could not ride his way out of an arena.

1 Like