Unlimited access >

Let’s talk bridles!

Great idea! Stubben sells a bridle which can be transformed into a double… for instance if you want to warm up your horse in a bridle and then show in the double… https://stuebben.com/en/snaffle-bridle-switch-with-slide-lock.html

1 Like

We interchange between the snaffle and the double depending on where we are in the schooling cycle. It’s easier to have both bridles rather than make changes on the fly, and my horse has opinions about how things sit on his poll. Our independent snaffle bit is also slightly different to the bradoon. Thus the two bridles.

3 Likes

If you love the fager bits- try the Artemis bridles- they are gorgeous and it’s the same company.

Contact Kelli Jackson who is a bridle fitter and fager bit fitter:

You think having a saddle that fits does wonders for your horse- wait until you have the correct bit and bridle for your horse .

This…while we will move up to the double some of the time, plenty of our rides will still be in the snaffle. Taking it apart a few times a week would be a real hassle. My trainer rides her FEI horses in a snaffle often. Every horse with a double also has a snaffle bridle that gets used regularly.

3 Likes

Thanks for this insight, Beowulf. I know you and I have similar taste in nice leather! I will update with pics when the bridle gets here. The bits arrived Friday and I really like them — I bought the Fager Elizabeth Weymouth, and it had the cutest little short shanks and is very lightweight. I got the Maria bradoon as that is what his regular snaffle is, and he is very good in the contact with it. Hope he likes them!

The description of the bit describes a horse that is hard to relax in the contact in part, and that isn’t him at all…but he has a sensitive, responsive mouth and is never heavy, so I only need a very mild curb. He also has a smallish palate so I wanted something very comfortable. Really was looking for “baby’s first curb” type of thing.

1 Like

I wasn’t too keen on the $28 shipping fee, but I did order one of the Vespucci bridles thanks to this thread. I needed another good quality plain horse size bridle because my youngster is at the very edge of anything cob sized. I have bridles left over from my last horse, but I’m oddly sentimental about them. He will wear them when the time is right though.

1 Like

Glad to know I’m not the only one who feels this way about the HE bridles. I came from hunterland and gave HE benefit of the doubt that it was just a dressage thing and all the bridles were this way. Mine is stunning and always turns heads, but the leather is absurdly stiff. I can oil most of it, but I have cognac accents and I’m worried about darkening it, so there’s only so much I can do for the noseband. I also think the padding just feels like pleather (and if you told me it was, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least).

They’re pretty enough I could possibly be convinced to purchase one 2nd hand, but it’s unlikely I’ll pay full price for one again.

Mine is also cognac - maybe it’s just the cognac line that is thirsty? Other people report good leather, maybe they got a different style or color.

In fairness to Halter Ego, even though the bridle I purchased didn’t come as advertised, they did stand by their product and did everything in their power to correct the issue and make sure I was happy. They went above and beyond there, offering me a custom bridle to replace the bridle I ordered that wasn’t as advertised. So for that, they do deserve some recognition.

Their browbands are genuinely stunning and well made. I would buy a browband from them again.

1 Like

Yes! They really are stunning, aren’t they!

1 Like

A friend has the flowery pink HE bridle and only uses for shows and it is peeling after a year. It also left a little raw spot under the caveson after a class and she had to use a pad under it after that. Its beautiful but for that kind of $$ it hasn’t held up very well.

We got to try it today and Kal was such a good boy! He really took to the double well. I think he likes the bits and the bridle. The leather is really nice! He will get a sparkly browband for it soon, of course!

13 Likes

Nice!

My Vespucci comes today. I’m excited to see and feel what it’s like!

2 Likes

I have forelock envy.

(Oh! The bridle…looks great too!)

1 Like

I received my Vespucci bridle yesterday and it is lovely. I got their classic dressage bridle with no flash, so it’s basic in design, but the leather feels great. I’ve definitely had to condition or “work” other bridles to feel this way.

I wanted a simple good quality everyday work bridle for my youngster, and this will suit just fine. I normally go for rolled leather and that’s what my other bridles have, but this is still a good looking bridle. It just feels lovely.

Eventually I’ll get a pic with him wearing it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For anyone who likes the Miklem competition bridles, and has a horse with a very large or very small head, Jeffers Pet has them for a steep discount ($69.99), in Havana only, and pony or oversize only. We’re going to try one with Lola. A bit old-school, but I see them around.

1 Like

It’s getting near time to start my horse in a double. He has a beautiful sculpted face and has a rolled snaffle. I ordered the rolled,Lumiere Magnificent in WB. It was a bit too big, soIsent it back and exchanged for the horse size. The horse size is cut a wee bit more finely and suits his beautiful face even better than the WB size. The bling browband is beautiful and subtle. Adding, Canada Post may have misplaced my original bridle return, Lumiere sent my new bridle without confirmation of the old one being shipped, without any prodding from me. I actually thought I would have to just purchase a second bridle. Exemplary customer service and very cheerful to deal with!!:blush::blush::blush:

4 Likes