Unlimited access >

Life changing trailer tips

Seems they already know! Browsing tasty limbs and barking trees is totally natural. It’s the reason that nice trees in paddocks are fenced off - so they won’t get killed by browsing and bark-eating equines.

Maybe it’s a small trailer vs “normal” trailer thing. Larger trailers typically don’t have those “swing away” type jacks, because they’re prone to failure. Instead, they just install a jack that goes up high enough in the sheath to give clearance.

I don’t know what laws are thinking. Even with the chains crossed, that coupler is going to go forward until it hits the ground, or it (or the jack, whatever gets there first) hits the truck. Gravity.

2 Likes

my secret is putting a small rock on the tailgate of the truck, in the groove that lines up with the hitch. The hitch itself is juuuuust out of sight for me. I keep meaning to put something more permanent in that groove, so I’m not at the mercy of loosing my little rock!

4 Likes

That chart would be so helpful, if accurate and up-to-date, especially when traveling out of state.

I rechecked my state’s regulations again, to make sure that I had found the most current standard (I keep a printed copy in the folder with my horses’ Coggins tests, and other materials I carry, when hauling the horses). The very latest version (dated just a few days ago) still does not require crossing the chains, even though the above chart says it does. So, unfortunately, it seems as though the current chart can’t be entirely relied upon, which is too bad.

Still, even though our state does not specifically mention crossing the safety chains in the regulations, we always do so when towing our bumper pull trailers. I can’t visualize how the chains can prevent the tongue from dropping unless they’re crossed underneath.

It’s been several years since I owned a Brenderup, but I always crossed the chains with that trailer, too.

I drive a giant 4 door, 8 foot bed 3500. And I have a gooseneck trailer. With my old truck I could easily see the ball in the bed. With this one, I had no chance. So I got a pool noodle, cut a slit in the bottom to allow it to slide over the ball, and voila, instantly better. I just back up until I knock the pool noodle over and I’m good to go.

13 Likes

I put a piece of duct tape on the middle of my tailgate so I can see it when it’s down to line up with goosneck hitch.

5 Likes

I have the type of drop-in bedliner that has lengthwise ridges in it, and I line the GN nose up with the center ridge on the tailgate portion of the liner. I’m too short to see the ball.

With my previous bumper pull horse trailers, I bought one of those magnetic wands with a neon ball on the end to stick onto the tongue, but eventually developed my eye for how the front of the trailer should appear in my rear view mirror, when at an appropriate distance, and quit using the wand.

I also had a bumper pull hitch protector, similar to the Tow Ready trailer hitch bumper guard, which was a V-shaped backplate behind the ball. It basically funneled the trailer coupler onto the ball.

1 Like

We did the same but with a piece of that yellow plastic that’s usually on the brace wire of a utility pole (no idea what it’s called, stepdad worked for a phone company and brought it home).

This was going to be my suggestion! My tail gate has a line right where it lines up so I just use that, super handy.

Always keep a wheel lift in the trailer for emergency tire changes.

I can’t see the ball in my truck bed either. Elsewhere, someone said to open the camera app on your phone and put it on video. Then prop it on top of the back seat of the truck, tilted down so the ball is visible. From the drivers seat, you can see the phone. Game changer.

That helps with left-right but the depth perception isn’t great, so I still use a magnetic stick that gets knocked over when I’m far enough forward.

3 Likes

I used to use a rock, too😀! I finally spray painted the ridge on my bed liner. I’m too short to see the ball, too, so I may give the pool noodle a try.

I use the three bolts on the tailgate to line up the gooseneck, then back up in my standard body position until the edge of the tailgate is visually just below the spare tire on the trailer. This gets it just right about half the time and maybe an inch off the other half of the time. I can’t see the ball because I have an extended cab and am short.

3 Likes

GN set-up here. I bought half-inch wide reflective tape and attached a strip in the middle of the tailgate and then another down the middle of the GN stem. As long as they’re aligned, I’m golden. Of course, being short, I can’t see the ball of the hitch but that’s usually a minor adjustment.

1 Like

Not life changing, but I keep one of those wheel ramp things in the dressing room of both of my trailers. (Trailer-Aid https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/traileraid-1783) Makes changing a blow tire SO MUCH EASIER.

I’m not mechanically inclined, so my best advice is to stay current on your trailer inspections - I spend $269.95 every year/every other year depending on how much I’m using the trailer to have the local trailer shop do a full once over (grease bearings, check floors, etc) and I keep a good spare tire on board - sometimes two if I’m hauling long distances. Make sure you always have the appropriate tools in the trailer/truck to change tires; including jacks that are capable of handling loaded weight.

Train your horses to load before there’s an emergency. Keep a spare bucket, halter, and lead in the trailer.

4 Likes

Gooseneck Hook-Up Helper | Jeffers Pet

We’ve used one of these for many years ever since they first came out. Or make one of your own. The guy who invented pool noodles is rich - no good idea is a stupid idea…

1 Like

In my old truck I had a piece of duck tape on the tail gate to line up my gooseneck. Now with my new fancy truck - it has a camera for the bed! I’m getting better at judging when the hitch is over the ball on the video. The wonders of technology!
Also to check your trailer break lights/connection, a farmer taught me to use the emergency flashers. You turn that on and go back and check. If both are flashing, you’re good to go!

5 Likes

oh I like the idea of the emergency flashers to test! THANK YOU!

@PonyApocalypse19
Really, that checks brake lights rather than tail lights?

It checks that the connector is connected and working and both indicators are working. The only way I can think of to check if the brake lights are working by yourself, is with a mirror behind or technology set up for that purpose.

I always fill a never used (with gas) 5 gallon gas can with water and put it in my tack room along with an empty bucket. In the event I break down and need to water my horse.

1 Like