Unlimited access >

Looking at Wintecs - which kind?

I feel closer and more around my horse in my other saddles… but I also feel this more in the Wintec than I do in older model quality saddles like Passiers, Kieffers and Windsor’s. I have short legs, so it may be that it’s just a tad bit bulkier.

My other saddles are like riding on clouds and also fit to me and my horses so it’s hard to compare to an off the shelf meant to fit a variety. The Wintec is very adjustable in the girthing area though which I love.

The Wintec I also find allows for a surprisingly deep and comfy seat.

1 Like

I had a 500 (all purpose though) about 10 years ago. Found the saddle to be perfectly comfortable in and of itself, just didn’t end up suiting my horse’s back so got rid of it. Also rode a horse for someone else for a few months in an Isabel. No particular complaints there either.

I recently bought a second hand tekna for trail riding the old mare as her good dressage saddle is now the youngsters. Suitable for purpose, would I buy one for riding every day/competing etc? Probably not, I’d try and find a decent second hand leather saddle that fit instead.

The Wintec 500 is fake leather, but not as comfortable as real leather. The Pro and Isabell use fake suede which I find more comfortable to ride in. Some people love the Pro, some love the Isabell - they are different designs and will give you a different feel.

The 500 is often a “starter” saddle so you may be able to find a cheap one second hand after someone else has upgraded, since you are looking for a lesson horse.

1 Like

Second suggestions to look at the Thorowgood Cob. They give plenty of room for a wide spine and the gullet plate is shorter and doesn’t have the kink in it that Wintec/Bates gullet plates have (which puts a steeper angle into the top of the “A” shape). See re. gullet plates: http://saddlefitter.blogspot.com/2011/09/changeable-gullets-details.html

3 Likes

thanks. Short legs here too, and because she is so big the last thing I need is extra bulk between my leg and her.

@Jealoushe, I know what you mean! Not really sure how to explain it, but I’ve noticed it when using both Wintecs & “nice” biothane harnesses. My theory is that when leather warms with body heat it molds slightly to the contours of both the horse & rider.

2 Likes

@conniemary thanks, I did find a great condition Wintec Wide 500 on FB marketplace for $400 with a full set of wide gullets along with the leathers and stirrups, and she’s willing to do a return if it’s not a fit if I pay shipping. guess that’s cheap? haven’t pulled the trigger yet, trying to decide…

1 Like

You can probably sell it easily if it doesn’t work out.

Its really not that bulky, Im just used to my Amerigos which are like riding on clouds :joy:

That is basically what I sold my Wintec Wide GP for years ago, complete with the Wintec type leathers and Fillis stirrups.

I was asking a little bit more but it was Christmas time, the saddlery called me and told me the girl had been saving her pennies to get a saddle to fit her new horse. I told them to go ahead, I remember saving my pennies to buy a saddle and I admired the girl for trying to pay for her saddle by herself (versus counting on the bank of mom and dad.)

An added note that may have added to my difficulties with the Wintec saddles, I had not discovered how wonderful silicon full seat breeches/tights are. I might have had a more favorable impression of these saddles if I had not been slipping around in the saddle’s seat.

I have extremely short legs, I ride exclusively with children’s stirrup leathers with holes to spare. I find my Wintec Pro Dressage a lot less bulky than the leather saddles in the same ~ $1000 and under price range. That’s part of the reason I like it so much. I feel like it fits both me and my horse better and gives us a better ride than anything else in my budget.

Plus the adjustable gullets mean I don’t have quite as many saddle fit headaches. I hate saddle shopping with a passion, especially shopping for used saddles. It feels like 9 times out of 10 a “new” saddle fits one of us perfectly yet is crippling for the other.

3 Likes

@Jackie_Cochran yes, I only ride in silicone full seats, they are game changer! So I’m not too worried about anything being slippery.

1 Like

I wouldn’t discount Wintecs just because of the gullet plate. I had a saddlefitter change the shape of one of the gullet plates for me, and rode in the saddle for about 10 years without any problems until I sold it. Any saddler/knowledgeable handyperson/metalworker etc. could remove the kink in the plate for you.

I have nothing against the Thorowgood Cob saddle and agree that it’s another cheap saddle to try.

2 Likes

You could also try treeless. I often ride in a Sensation English Trail, which looks mostly like a dressage saddle (they have a dressage model, too). Freeform’s classic model is very traditional looking as well. I’ve never ridden in an Ansur, but I see a lot of the earlier models for sale.

With a treeless solution, you do need a suitable pad and, despite the one-size-fits-all mantra, some saddle brands work better than others for horses, but they are easier to move from horse to horse. FWIW, the Sensation saddle works very well on my wide horse as it has a very contact feel.

1 Like

I don’t have enough Wintec experience to make a useful comment but I have to say that mare is adorable!

3 Likes

Wintec has changed their dressage model, as they’ve told me.

I earned my Bronze and showed through fourth in the original Isabell model. Yep. Faux leather landed me a 3rd Championship and a Fourth Reserve with USDF Regional Championships. I really like the older model.

Those saddles change fit with the gullet plate and you should be able to fit a wide or extra wide gullet in there to fit your horse. Creative padding may be your key short of a more custom saddle.

4 Likes

They make Wintec shims to help with fit, too. Basically the same idea as a shimmable saddle pad, but they go between the saddle panel and the tree so they are permanently in place until you remove them. My saddle came with a set of them. I tried to use them, as my mare has a curvy back and is a touch uneven, but the princess & the pea was very clear it was unacceptable to her. She does better with a very thin shim in a regular pocket pad. A saddle fitter might be able to do a better job placing them. It’s not hard, but I always second guess myself on these things, especially when my horse is so quick to express discomfort.

Congrats! yes apparently they did change them. I noticed that now only the Pro version comes in Wide now. and I don’t think the Isabelle ever came in wide.

1 Like

Yes, definitely! We have a saddle fitter who can work magic with the shims

1 Like

They all should be accessible to the adjustable plates and you determine what plate fits your horse’s withers and muscle at the time of training. I went through three plates with my last mare as she developed.

Did they change their whole gullet system? I still have an old jumping Wintec saddle and most ot the plates I can use. Is this not a thing anymore?

ETA, plates are only about $25. So much chaper than buying a new saddle with back development.

1 Like

The gullet system is still the same, but they’ve added the ability to “DIY” access the panels as well so that you can place shims on top to provide even more DIY customisation. Previously you needed a saddler to adjust the fit of the panels for you. This new system is called HART.

Even the REALLY old Wintecs and Bates leather versions which don’t have the DIY gullet change can still be changed by a saddler. The saddler only needs to unpick the stitching to access the gullet plate, swap it over and close it back up.

2 Likes