Unlimited access >

Looking for a stallion to breed next eventer

Jennie Loriston-Clarke’s Timolin, at Catherston Stud in GB. Advanced Eventer and Intermediare Dressage at the age of 9, Semen available at EMCO in Ocala Florida.

Check out Mighty Magic! https://www.haras-du-feuillard.com/en/dressage-stallions/mighty-magic-holsteiner-warmblut-dark-bay,9.html

A fellow Coth poster & blogger has a lovely 3 year old named Presto from him. Check out Amanda’s blog: https://the900facebookpony.com Presto is the type of horse I would aiming to achieve if I was breeding for myself. Great brain, lovely gaits, nice height, etc. I’m a super fan.

Mighty Magic, although having lots of TB blood himself, does not breed like a TB and I wouldn’t use him on a heavy mare and definitely not a draft cross. All of his offspring I have seen have been similar in type and attractive but quite heavy with heavy gallops. I would only ever use him on a lighter, blood-y mare. He is not a refining stallion from what I have seen and heard.

3 Likes

The thing with MM is that because he IS mostly TB, at the beginning of his breeding career he was used mostly on heavy mares in an attempt to refine them. While IME (and I have seen MANY offspring by now, both here and in Europe, as well as MM himself in the flesh) he doesn’t make a heavy horse out of a not-heavy mare, he does not drastically lighten an already heavy one. When it comes to high performance, he does best on a mare that has some blood herself. Granted, that’s if we’re talking about producing a 4*/5* type horse, which most people do not need in the slightest and are not trying to produce. If you’re talking Prelim/Int horse, it becomes less of an issue. My MM is actually lighter and more refined than his dam, and he’s not the only one I’ve seen like that, but certainly that isn’t true of all of them. Mine’s dam, who is Hano x TB, consistently produces offspring that take strongly after their sire, so that could be part of why mine is lighter (photo is of mine compared to MM himself). Mares produce differently as well. [ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: PrestoMMsidebyside.jpg Views: 2 Size: 37.1 KB ID: 10596997”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“10596997”,“data-size”:“full”}[/ATTACH]

A lot of the stallions mentioned on this thread definitely are not real refiners. If refinement and lightness is the biggest goal, I would stick to pure TB personally. If it’s not the biggest goal, then it’s a matter of figuring out what is, as far as desired level of competition, gaits, conformation, rideability, etc. To me there is not enough information in the OP to make worthwhile suggestions.

PrestoMMsidebyside.jpg