Unlimited access >

Looking for my old mare in H/J land....

I have been wondering what became of my Hanoverian mare ever since I sold her in 2003 or 2004 I think. I couldn’t find my sale paperwork and couldn’t remember the lady’s name who bought her, but come to find out from the trainer involved in my sale, the lady who bought her from me got a divorce and apparently she sold her to a hunter trainer, so I’m putting out an APB! I googled her by her registered name and absolutely nothing comes up, so I’m betting they changed her name for showing and that’s why.

I just want to know that she’s okay, she was a very sweet and special mare, and very “distinctive” so I’m hoping somebody knows of her.

She’s is a 1994 Hanoverian by Wertherson, out of a Manitu dam. Her registered name was Flizzard, but everyone called her Fizz. She was bright chestnut with 4 high wild, white stockings that went up to her knees and hocks, and a big wide blaze with a white chin. She was about 16.1H, heavier in build (old-style), with a nice elastic trot and pretty face. She was really a “brick house” type and very sound with good hard feet. I’m kinda surprised she became a hunter because her trot was very dressage-y, but she did have a flatter canter and did seem to like to jump, although she wasn’t very careful. I’ll bet it could have been trained into her though.

Here is an album with some pictures of her that I had when I owned her:

http://picasaweb.google.com/notasoccermom68/Fizz#

If anyone has any information about her, I’d really appreciate it! There’s nothing fishy or backhanded at all about me asking, I just want to know how she is doing because I still think about her often.

1 Like

You live in the same city as me, so I’ll keep a eye out. I’m a little out of the hunter circle though. Which part of the city are you in?

Sorry, I should have added in the original post that she was originally sold to the CT/NH area (not OH where I live), but I don’t know if she stayed there or not when she was sold again. So I’m thinking maybe she’s still in the east coast area, but who knows!

[QUOTE=WBLover;4902427]
Sorry, I should have added in the original post that she was originally sold to the CT/NH area (not OH where I live), but I don’t know if she stayed there or not when she was sold again. So I’m thinking maybe she’s still in the east coast area, but who knows![/QUOTE]

If she’s in the NH area I can keep an eye out this summer on the show circuit…

Thank you…this jumped off the front page quickly. Just bumping it up!

I couldn’t find anything on her, and you’re still listed as the owner with USEF. I did find some updates on three of her foals, though, in case you’re interested. I don’t know if any of them are in touch with her current owner.
Acadia (ArminxFlizzard) broodmare, pictured with foal
http://www.bridlewoodhanoverians.com/fabuleux_offspring_photos.php

Golden Gift (Gold Luck x Flizzard) shown at PSG last year
http://www.usdf.org/scorecheck/ScoreCheckResults.asp?NumberPass=39182
http://www.cornerstonedressage.com/results/2009%20DIR%20MEDIA%20RESULTS.pdf
www.hanoverian.org/awards/2006/2006dressage.shtml

Wistoria (Weltbekannt x Flizzard) shown Training Level Dressage in 2005
http://usef.org/_IFrames/Searches/horseResultsReport.aspx

Yes, that’s the only thing I could find as well (info on her offspring), makes me wonder if she really has dropped off the face of the earth. The trainer I spoke to said he hadn’t heard anything of her for several years, but last he heard she was doing H/J.

Thank you for checking, and I’d appreciate everyone keeping their eyes out for her. She does have distinctive markings, so it’s not like I’m looking for a plain chestnut mare which would be a needle in a haystack! As you can see she’s passed on her chrome quite a bit too (the Fabuleax colt).

I can put your mind at ease about this beautiful soul.

Fizz (Flizzard) was with me for the last 16 years. She crossed the rainbow bridge peacefully surrounded by love on January 19, 2024. She was my one and only horse, and the best thing that ever happened to me.

Here’s the FB post I wrote about her:

Rest in peace, Flizzard (Fizz)
1994-2024

One day many years ago, I was riding Fizz in an indoor arena. She stopped in her tracks at the door, and wouldn’t go forward. I pressed. I kicked. I tapped. I spurred. But she would not budge. I couldn’t figure out why until I happened to look down at the ground in front of her feet. There lay a very tiny baby bird.

It had fallen from its nest, some 20 or more feet above us in the rafters. And Fizz wouldn’t move until I dismounted and attended to it. Unfortunately, that baby bird didn’t make it. But it was just one of many important lessons Fizz taught me about listening.

I know very little about Fizz’s life before she came to be a part of mine. I know she was born sometime in 1994. I know she’d had at least three foals, and I’m quite sure she was the best mom a little horse could possibly ask for. As I came to know her over the years, though, I grew to understand how each separation and each loss she endured broke her great, big, gentle heart all over again.

Today I am the one with a broken heart. We helped Fizz cross the rainbow bridge this morning at the home where she’d spent the last 11 years. She’d had a rough morning, but she was calm and was not in pain. Her friends were near. She was in familiar surroundings. She enjoyed helpings of all her favorite treats, and was her big, brave-girl self to the end.

She was my best friend and confidant. She wasn’t always easy, yet she was kind. She didn’t approve of nonsense, yet she was patient. She worried about all her friends, and always kept tabs on them to make sure everyone was okay. And she was always there to help me feel a little better, no matter what turmoil I was going through.

I was so lucky to have been entrusted with her care for the last 16 years. It wasn’t always easy, but I wouldn’t trade a moment. She grew my heart every single day, every moment we had together. I will always be so grateful for everything she taught me - about patience. About loyalty. About being there. And about listening, and noticing the small, quiet, important things.

Goodbye my “Scout,” my “Fizzabella,” my dearest, sweetest friend. Graze and run free with all the loved ones I know you’ve missed so much.

And a big-hearted, chestnut-mare thank you for all the love and care Fizz received over the years from Foxmerle Farm, Ocean State Equine Associates, Avery Gauthier, Leah Limone DVM, Flatlands Equestrian Center, and to the countless Friends of Fizz (far too many to name here) who were there, time after time, to help me love her. She was, and I will eternally be, grateful for you.

I was a middle-aged hack amateur rider, so Fizz didn’t have to do much except tolerate my nonsense. Somebody put some dressage training into her somewhere along the way, because she knew more than I did. But - though she tried to be a good girl - she didn’t much like jumping (I always wondered if an old injury might have been at play).

But I was perfectly happy to play at flat and groundwork several times a week, so, other than a handful of small schooling shows, she had a pretty pressure-free life.

She could be a silly spook, and because I had no stick, I ended up on the ground a lot. But otherwise Fizz was as sweet as could be, and she was a downright institution – absolutely the grande dame – at the barn where she finally passed just last week. She was a tough ol’ gal, but her heart truly did break every time she had to say goodbye to one of her family (everyone was her family).

I loved her ferociously, and there’s an enormous hole in my heart without her. I would love to see photos of young Fizz, but it’s been so many years, it seems the links here in this thread no longer work.

In case you can see her Facebook page, here’s the link https://www.facebook.com/fizz.book1994

I hope one day you see this reply and that it gives you comfort to know she lived a good, long life and died with love and dignity.

83 Likes

Her previous owner here!! I’m who put the dressage training on her :slightly_smiling_face:……My heart is just busting right now, knowing she had a great life with you!!! I’m so sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you gave her a wonderful life and she was happy and loved, and that’s all anyone can ever ask for! Bless you for taking care of her and appreciating the sweet mare she was, and I hope your heart can heal and know that she’s grazing and looking down at you with love in her horsie :heart: ! Thank you for finding this post and replying, so I can know she went to the very best home!

69 Likes

What a wonderful end to this thread :heart:

28 Likes

Bless you and rest easy Fizz. What a well lived and loved life she had. I’m tearing up reading your tribute to her.

11 Likes

When I clicked on the OP’s link to photos of Fizz, I realized this was a zombie thread, expecting it had been bumped up by spammers.

“14 YEARS LATER”

So happy to be wrong. 🥲

25 Likes

Well I am CRYING.

My heart sank a bit. I had a 1993 chestnut Hanoverian mare. But I am on the west coast.

Thanks for a happy story to end my evening :heart:

8 Likes

Stories like these are the best of COTH :heart:

9 Likes

The ultimate happy ending. RIP Fizz.

3 Likes

FIZZpaxton603002_Original Fizz5_Original fizz3_Original

30 Likes

As requested, some old photos of beautiful Fizz

15 Likes

Textbook W line from that era. I had the pleasure of visiting the Hannoverian state stud in Germany in 1998 and Werther was still alive, barely.

2 Likes

What a beautiful thread. Rest in peace, Fizz. Such a pretty girl!

2 Likes

So happy you found each other and could celebrate your beautiful mare!

I’m having all sorts of feelings reading this thread, having also just laid a 1994 model (Morgan) mare to rest in mid-December. And my current ride is a (Morgan) mare named…Fizz (Windfield Effervescence). I’ve never known another Fizz!

6 Likes