Unlimited access >

Looking for Thoughts about Horse Vans

[QUOTE=Guilherme;8838695]
Gumtree, what’s your professional opinion on something like this, converted into a “horse box”: http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/7192277/2005-freightliner-business-class-m2-106

Consider this a “generic” suggestion, meaning it’s not Freightliner specific nor necessarily specific for horsepower, transmission, etc. There also appear to be a number of different “sleeper” arrangements that can be had.

The prices are not all that unreasonable and it certainly gives horse and human a LOT of room and some decent amenities. I’ve seen examples from time to time of this type of vehicle equipped with selective AWD (pretty limited in use, with a max. mph of about 20 and a penalty of about 1 mpg).

Maybe put a well preserved Imperator body on this?

G.[/QUOTE]

I definitely have a lot of opinions most would not be professional in scope.

Looks like a LOT of truck for the money. Especially because I have been pricing used Pick-ups of around the same vintage and it is ridiculous how expensive they are for being 10+ years old.Some well equipped ones are around the same price.

Don’t know much about trucks of this kind but if I was doing a lot shipping I certainly would take a close look at this rig. Would make for very comfy travels that’s for sure. Horses and owners. I have several friends that make a living trucking I would have them take a look at the add and ask if it is as good a value as it appears to be.

I’ve seen seen 4 horse H-H and 6 horse bodies for sale at what seem like very reasonable prices. I am told they are very easy to bolt on and not expensive to have done.

[QUOTE=gumtree;8842262]
I definitely have a lot of opinions most would not be professional in scope.

Looks like a LOT of truck for the money. Especially because I have been pricing used Pick-ups of around the same vintage and it is ridiculous how expensive they are for being 10+ years old.Some well equipped ones are around the same price.

Don’t know much about trucks of this kind but if I was doing a lot shipping I certainly would take a close look at this rig. Would make for very comfy travels that’s for sure. Horses and owners. I have several friends that make a living trucking I would have them take a look at the add and ask if it is as good a value as it appears to be.

I’ve seen seen 4 horse H-H and 6 horse bodies for sale at what seem like very reasonable prices. I am told they are very easy to bolt on and not expensive to have done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. It looked like this might really work out and with the right kind of sleeper (the back door model) you could put a proper bath/shower in the front part of the box and set the back part up for horses. Or get one one of the 230" sleepers with all the bells and whistles and either beef up the existing box or add a box as you suggest.

One article I read a couple of years ago said that the big companies trade these things in right around the 300,000 mile mark as that’s where there is a 50% chance of major mechanical malfunction for this class of truck. I noted the mileage on most of the ones I looked at was running in 400,000 miles range. Maybe the 50% number has increased?

G.

Happilyretired, that type of van is my ideal! I’ve looked into similar brands but the price tags were beyond the pale. Did you buy yours in the US or import it yourself?

Alfonsina, I bought it in the US. PM me if you want more specific info.