Unlimited access >

Lost one of my horses yesterday

I am so sorry for your losses this year. I’m sure Daisy knew how much you loved her.

It’s horrible to not know exactly what happened, but I agree that it does sound like something quite sudden. All horse deaths are devastating, but one that comes like this, out of the blue, is even more wrenching and shocking. Please try to take some comfort in the thought that it was probably quick and painless.

Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Thank you everyone for being so kind. All of my horses are retired and I really haven’t been a part of my local horse community for a while. I needed this from people who understand what it means to love a horse. My friends, of course, tell me how sorry they are, but they don’t really understand.

Daisy is the photo in my avatar. When I bought her I had planned on eventing her, but we struggled. She was never overtly lame, but just NQR, and the multiple vets, chiropractors, farriers could never really put their finger on it. As a last resort, I gave her a year off and then tried to bring her back. The same issues surfaced so I retired her. She was an OTTB. She raced locally at Canterbury. They tried her at every distance and on turf and dirt. She just wasn’t cut out to be a racehorse.

She was so athletic and a beautiful mover. She was quirky and I like to say she lived her life at full throttle. If she had somewhere to be, she galloped. She didn’t have time to walk. Just a week or so ago, I had moved the horses from the sacrifice area to the pasture across the driveway. My older mare, Jilda, just wasn’t with the program and instead of going with Daisy and Duncan across the driveway, she walked out to the run-in shelter. I left the chute across the driveway open, figuring she would make her way over eventually. Maybe a half an hour later, I watched Daisy gallop from the far back of the pasture, across the driveway and out to the shelter to push Jilda out of the shelter. Then she galloped back across to where Duncan was.

She loved water. I can’t count the number of times I would catch her with her head in the water tanks splashing water everywhere.

She had the softest forelock I’ve ever felt. It felt like a foals She had such a big personality. My husband would look at he so often, and say, “that horse ain’t right” and shake his head.

I really loved that horse.

Thank you for letting me share my grief.

20 Likes

What a beautiful description of a horse well and truly loved. My heart goes out to you.

1 Like

So sorry.
Sounds like you gave Daisy her Best Life.
Make space in your grief to know she went quickly. It sure sounds like that from your description.
BTDT & it helped me past some of the Awful.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. For Daisy and your dogs.

She sounds like she was a wonderful horse that found her person.

Many ((hugs)) for you.

1 Like

So so sorry for your huge loss. She was loved until her last breath so let that bring you comfort.

1 Like

I am so sorry :cry:

1 Like

That sucks. My 21 year old mare up and decided to die on me this past June. In less than 15 minutes she went from totally fine to “whoops, I think I’m dying.” Looked like a 9 year old and you never would have imagined she was about to go. (Her sister barely made 20 also.) Scared the crap out of my poor friends who let me board her on their private property with their two mares. Never a fun time.

3 Likes

So sorry you lost your mare. :kissing_heart: